Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-15-2002, 04:34 AM   #26
mike lee
Maybe, or maybe not.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:23 AM   #27
memyselfandi
From my scant reading here, it would seem that many people are very upset by this new forum. It seems to me that some feel that just because they do not have as many years training, it does not mean that they are any less qualified to give a "Voice of Experience". In fact, I'm sure that there are many here with much fewer than 20 years who are indeed more qualified to give advise.

Perhaps as compromise, a forum could be created (or VOE modified) for those who have actually taught in life. Those Sensei's and Sempai's who can tuthfully say that they have in the past given their "Voice of Experience" and it has been accepted and welcomed by their students. While there may be others who could give such quality advise, my guess is that those who have instructed for any number of years will be able to give better advise then the vast majority of those who have merely trained. (not to diminish anyones training, it just seems to me that teaching and training are very different experiences, and doing one does not mean that you are qualified to do the other).

Just my $.02, which I very well understand is not worth as much as it would be coming someone who as actually taken Aikido
Old 08-15-2002, 09:34 AM   #28
mike lee
From my experience, forming exclusive groups in aikido is contradictory to its basic philosophy, and seldom results in anything positive. I would never become party to it.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:44 AM   #29
Andy
Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
From my experience, forming exclusive groups in aikido is contradictory to its basic philosophy, and seldom results in anything positive. I would never become party to it.
Do you wear a black belt? A hakama?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:39 AM   #30
mike lee
No. I only wear a gi and a white belt in summer training. This is for several reasons: The class is small and less formal; I want the students to see my footwork more easily; I want the students to realize that we are all basically the same -- that is students learning aikido.
Quote:
There are several reasons that most of our classes are open to all levels of experience. First, this approach enables new students to train more frequently with more experienced students. This helps to bring new students "up to speed" sooner. Second, it enables experienced students to train more frequently with new students. As the experienced students help the new students learn, this effort increases the experienced students' depth of understanding of aikido technique. Further, this approach avoids the tracking of students by outward signs of rank and experience, and emphasizes that all dojo members must work together to extend their understanding of aikido.
This is from the Web page of Aikido of Northern Virginia, and it sums up the way I have always been taught to train in aikido.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:35 PM   #31
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Unhappy VOE FORUM

Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Hi Jim,

As I said, the "Voices of Experience" forum is something experimental. I'd like to see where it goes before I label it as anything.

Thanks for the thoughts, in any case. Anyone else?

-- Jun
KAMI : Dear Jun,

Since you ask, I would like to make a point. I believe there's a big difference between the dojo and this Forum.

In the dojo, we have hierarchy and some separation; here we try to have a more democratic place with less hierarchy. That does not mean we do not recognize some people's experience and expertize and that we do not honour them. As for myself, I've come to respect many of them as George Ledyard, Chuck Clark, Peter Goldsbury and quite a number of others.But I really enjoy the way we may talk freely with other people, without fear of restrictions.

I really do not like the new forum.It creates a separation and it gives the impression (maybe wrong) of a group of venerable old man pontifying about mysterious things, without interference.

What we need is their participation with all of us, explaining/contributing to the general good.

It's different with the foreign languages forums. Here we have a place where people with small control of the english language can post freely and contribute to the discussions. That's why I'm contributing heavily in the first stages, even at the risk of Irimi Tom thinking I'm "controlling" those lists...

Anyway, I'm just posting my position. Now, let me get back to my cave, to avoid the blood-thirsty wolves attacking this poor frail old man...

Best

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 08-15-2002, 07:17 PM   #32
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: VOE FORUM

Quote:
Ubaldo Alcantara (Kami) wrote:
I really do not like the new forum.It creates a separation and it gives the impression (maybe wrong) of a group of venerable old man pontifying about mysterious things, without interference.
Now, now, I'm really not that old, but that may be because I just made the 20 year requirement - the other guys, now they're old .
Quote:
Ubaldo Alcantara (Kami) wrote:
What we need is their participation with all of us, explaining/contributing to the general good.
I'd point out that there's nothing stopping anybody from explaining/contributing on a seperate thread, and that none of the people in that forum (I would think) would cease to participate in the open threads.

That being said, I had (and have) mixed feelings about it myself, but my opinion about these kind of things is that there's really no way to see how things are going to work without trying them out. Things may go well, or they may not, or the whole thing may never reach critical mass, I say just give it a try and see what happens.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-15-2002, 08:35 PM   #33
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
I feel the same way...wait a minute, what were we talking about??? Wait til I get back from getting another doughnut (creame filled, of course). I can hardly reach the keyboard these days...my spare tire, you understand. Oh yeah, the VOE forum.

I agree with you, Chris. I'm gonna say whatever I'm gonna say, no matter what the forum is titled.

Regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 12-12-2003, 03:45 AM   #34
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
I have been disappointed in the VOE forum because no one was posting. Now that Furuya sensei is posting it has turned into an enjoyable read what with no trolls screwing up the thread. I just hope more of the senseis that can post there will.

Kelly

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes