Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-25-2002, 12:42 PM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 9988d6c2
Anonymous User
Partners

Hi.
First of all, i'd like to point out that i've only been doing Aikido for a few months and i've only ever taken one grading, so most of the time, everyone is showing me what to do. I have no problem with that, i'm grateful to them. However, last night i was working with an orange belt (4th kyu- I think?) and we were doing shio-nage (sp?) with the Jo. he couldn't get it to work, because he was skiing (sp?) the jo at the wrong knee, and then trying to do it, which meant-this is kinda hard to explain- he kept ending up w/ my arm stretched straight out in front of me instead of twisted up. I said that i thought it was the other knee, and he replied "Don't worry, it's because you're not bending your arm, its what makes women bad drivers." Was i wrong to speak up? And also, should the uke willingly bend their arm?
Thanks all.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:39 PM   #2
AikiAlf
I think in the beginning there's too much that can overwhelm analysis. My suggestion, don't worry about when things don't go as planned. It happens all the time.

As Uke give your best attack, with intention, with determination. If things don't work out for Nage, and you "know" what's happening you could speak up if that's ok in your class (local customs vary). But beware, since a frustrated Nage can bite back out of irritation.

Personally I wouldn't be offended either by your comment nor by the response (which is BS in my mind). Later Nage may realize that you were right.

Sometimes the point just doesn't make it across. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:51 PM   #3
guest1234
In my opinion, advice, unless requested, should be kept to yourself. Also in my opinion, his reply was sexist, and would have worked just fine without the reference to how how he perceives women's driving skills.

On the subject of uke willingly bending their arm: they should keep a small bend, and at all costs avoid locking it out straight. That kind of action is stupid ukemi begging for a broken or dislocated elbow. If your arm was locked out during the exercise, that may be what the problem was, vs at which knee he chose to tsuki, and you are lucky you still have use of it.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido of Northern VA Seminars - Doran-sensei in Northern Virginia, March 2015