Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Understanding of Aikido

Quote:
Carsten Mollering wrote:
I think I get, what you mean. And if you understand Aikido the way you do, you are right.
I don't want to argue against your understanding of what Aikido is. Just want to say that my understanding is different. And maybe whether one "needs" hakama, etiquette etc. to call it aikidô or not depends also on our image of what aikidô is?
Carsten, I think this an excellent point. I started another thread as not to hijack the other one.

For me, aikido is the resolution of conflict with least possible harm to me and to the other person. Both of those situations were resolved with no physical injury and for me no emotional injury. To me, that is Aikido.

What is your understanding of Aikido?

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Understanding of Aikido

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
For me, aikido is the resolution of conflict with least possible harm to me and to the other person.
That's like saying "A Rolls Royce is a means of transporting people from one place to another."
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
For me, aikido is the resolution of conflict with least possible harm to me and to the other person. Both of those situations were resolved with no physical injury and for me no emotional injury. To me, that is Aikido.
Within the context of the situations you posted on the other thread, I think your understanding of Aikido in light of the way you handled your "ukes" is very much in line with what O Sensei intended for Aikido: "Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses." (The Art of Peace, John Stevens)

I hope that other people posting to this thread will move the topic along rather than just take cheap shots at ideas they don't agree with.

Ron

Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

My understanding of aikido is that it is a martial art founded by Morihei Ueshiba with technical roots in Sokaku Takeda's Daito-ryu aikijujutusu.