Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-28-2002, 10:36 AM   #1
Tamar
aikido and dance/movement therapy

Hi All,

I am looking for some help to get information about aikido and children.
I've just finished my studies in Dance/Movement Therapy, and I intend to write my final
paper about aikido and DMT, based upon my (field work) experience with "therapeutic aikido" to children.
In this paper, I'd like to propose a model for combining the two disciplines.
(I've worked with children with learning disabilities, adolescents with social problems and
just a little with adults with mental health problems).

I would like to know about teaching aikido to children in general, and children with special
needs in particular; references to litterature, or to other people who may provide any help.

Thank you in advance,

Domo Arigato Gozaimashita
Tamar

Tamar
Old 07-28-2002, 04:22 PM   #2
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
One web site you should check out is Aiki Extensions. Many of their affiliates work on children's programs, as you can see from the remarks next to their names.

Another source would be the book Children and the Martial Arts: An Aikido Point of View by Gaku Homma Sensei.

Good luck on your paper,

Ted Ehara
Old 07-28-2002, 04:41 PM   #3
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
I am currently teaching martial arts to children ages 6-12 in a public housing communtiy in Northern Virginia. It is a combination of Karate and Aikido, but really not much of either in the traditional sense.

I am about 2 months into the project. It is going well, but not necessarily how I envisioned it.

In a traditional dojo/commercial environment you have a selection process that attracts and retains certain personalities and dispositions that are easy to work with.

With disadvantaged and emotionally handicapped kids etc....it is real interesting and requires a different approach and innovative/creative thinking.

I work with a social worker and several certified educators and it is really an evolving work in progress.

I would love to converse with you on this issue.

I don't see much difference in dance therapy and martial arts with these kids...with the exception that you may improve their esteem differently in dealing with bullies/drugs/etc with Martial Arts. I think the two are ,MA and Dance Therapy, are very compatible...and I would be interested in knowing more about dance therapy since probably more work in out there on it than on martial arts as therapy.

Old 07-28-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Yep, check out Aiki-Extensions. They have people who combine Aikido with other disciplines.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!