Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #51
JLRonin
United_States
Re: Time for change

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Somehow this makes me think of the reigi thread.

Etiquette, and martial etiquette in particular, is fundamentally a way to keep armed hot heads from killing each other long enough to accomplish a common goal.

Politics, seen in the same light, is a way for a group of people to decide which goals to pursue, and for the proponents of those goals to gain access to the resources of the group. The larger the group, the more complex the alliances and political dynamics, but small groups have politics, too.

Your post, then, is a political act: an attempt to persuade the Aikido community at large to devote resources to the goals of your group.

And yet you seem remarkably reluctant to discuss your vision in any detail. Why is that?

Katherine
Still funny how people think and perceive.

Sorry you think that way.
My "vision" or idea/thought is depicted here. I can't be any clearer. I'm not trying to persuade anyone, including you. Or take any ones resources.
You can call it what ever you want. If you think there is some type of politics involved then that is your or any one else' perception. And by reading what you call a political act, Then everyone that has an organization or dojo is guilty. Do you have anything to say against culturesmith...The_Free_Dojo, Gaku Homma, Aiki Ranch, Arthur Crown or Christopher Li in Sandenkai in Hawaii? or Yoshimitsu Yamada? Those who know me, know who I am.
If I opened a club without announcing it like I did, would it be any different?
At least I'm not hiding. I'm trying to be as peaceful and suttle as possible.

Like I said, "To each his own".

cheers
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #52
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Julio Ruiz wrote: View Post

You've said this, or words to this effect ("Oh, how funny how wrong you are, how you don't get it") to several people. Could it be that you need to work on your clarity of expression?

Either way, consider this: people may disagree with you because they misunderstand what you're saying. They may also understand you just fine, and still disagree. Don't rule out the latter.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #53
Carsten M÷llering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Interesting that people are different, isn't it?

Quote:
And there are allways people who think on their own.

(And I think what Katherine says about politics is simply evident. At least to me, not being a native speaker, politics is the word that is used to describe how groups are structured and organize themself, how the mechanisms work to solve problems, etc.. To me all this is about politics. Even direct democrathy is a form of politics.)

Quote:
My "vision" or idea/thought is depicted here. I can't be any clearer.
There are quite some contradictory aspects in your exposition.
There are some questions about the economic aspects of your idea.
There are quite some aspects that seem to not fit to the way aikid˘ is handed down and learned.

And most points you mention are not new. At least not to me in my context.
In Germany about 85% of aikido clubs/doj˘ ar non profit organization, i.e. "gemeinnŘtzige Vereine".
A whole lot of doj˘/clubs are not affiliated to regional or national organizations. But only to hombu through the shihan they follow.
And - even in my club - there are a lot of aikid˘ who don't care about grading.

So your ideas stay vague to me. (I think Mary is right asking, to work on your clarity.)

Finally: If you just want to open a club in your area, why do you announce this in a world wide forum? What is your point here?

Well, I don't think it's funny how people think. It's just how they think.

Last edited by Carsten M÷llering : 06-06-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #54
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Carsten M÷llering wrote: View Post
Well, I don't think it's funny how people think. It's just how they think.
Carsten, I'd love to buy you a beer some day. I can't explain why, but I find your statement very comforting.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #55
Rob Watson
United_States

Those articles are basically cut and paste from aikidojournal ... copyright violation and similarly unethical actions are not typically a sign of a good martial artist or a considerate law abiding person. Please show us you have gotten permission to "borrow" from aikidojournal and are not an unethical person ... surely you do not encourage such cavalier attitudes in your students of fellow practitioners?

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #56
JLRonin
United_States

Sorry for asking.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #57
JLRonin
United_States

En tu presencia Se˝or encuentro refugio y amor.

Solo T˙ sanas las heridas de mi Corazˇn.

Solo Dios es el dulce refugio para todo aquel que en ╔l cree.

Dios siempre tiene sus brazos abiertos para refugiarte,

no importa las pruebas o dificultades que estÚs pasando.

Cuando te sientas solo, desorientado, lleno de angustia,

Enfermo, triste desesperadoů

Recuerda que Jesucristo es nuestro refugio.

"Jehovß de los ejÚrcitos estß con nosotros;

Nuestro refugio es el Dios de Jacob." Salmo 46:7
Old 06-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #58
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
En tu presencia Se˝or encuentro refugio y amor.

Solo T˙ sanas las heridas de mi Corazˇn.

Solo Dios es el dulce refugio para todo aquel que en ╔l cree.

Dios siempre tiene sus brazos abiertos para refugiarte,

no importa las pruebas o dificultades que estÚs pasando.

Cuando te sientas solo, desorientado, lleno de angustia,

Enfermo, triste desesperadoů

Recuerda que Jesucristo es nuestro refugio.

"Jehovß de los ejÚrcitos estß con nosotros;

Nuestro refugio es el Dios de Jacob." Salmo 46:7
And you're bringing religion into it as well?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #59
kewms

Quote:
Carsten M÷llering wrote: View Post
(And I think what Katherine says about politics is simply evident. At least to me, not being a native speaker, politics is the word that is used to describe how groups are structured and organize themself, how the mechanisms work to solve problems, etc.. To me all this is about politics. Even direct democrathy is a form of politics.)
That is exactly the sense in which I used the word. So my first point is that no organization is "free of politics."

But the more subtle point is that politics is itself a value-neutral word: it's just a mechanism by which things get done. When someone claims to have been repelled "by politics," they aren't really saying anything useful.

Often the process by which a group allocates resources is very messy -- the colloquial English expression is "how the sausage gets made" -- and involves tradeoffs that one or more members of the group may find distasteful. Sometimes, this causes people to leave the group.

But without more information, it is impossible to say exactly what is going on. The OP could be setting off on his own out of a strongly held conviction that his former organization behaved unethically. Or he could just be mad because he didn't get the promotion he thought he deserved. Or anywhere in between. It is, therefore, impossible to evaluate the merits of his proposal.

Responding to questions with long verbatim quotes from other people is not particularly helpful, either. If he were announcing himself as a student of or affiliated with a particular teacher, then it would be safe to assume that he takes that teacher's views as his own. But that's not what he's doing.

Katherine
Old 06-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #60
mastermeindl

Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States

I could be wrong. I often am. But I feel like there's a bit of hostility and criticism coming from all ends in this thread. And don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that hostility and criticism have no place in a forum. I mean, this is a forum, after all. That's kind of what it's all about, to a degree.

Still, I am left with desire to ask, "What would Julio (and everyone here) like to achieve? If it's not entirely clear, then can we work together to figure it out? And can Julio (and I, and all of us) maintain our humility, and perhaps accept that we might not have it all figured out? And can we work together to figure it out? (Yes, I realize I'm repeating myself.) And how can we help each other accomplish whatever it is we figure out we want to do?"

Of course, I could be completely misreading the vibe here. Maybe everybody is actually in a state of pure bliss and feels like their giving out nothing but verbal hugs to everyone. I'm neither condoning nor condemning verbal hugs, by the way.

And I'm certainly not proposing that this is the way this or any thread should proceed. I'm merely selfishly hoping that my ramblings will settle my own emotions after reading and being a little shaken up by this thread.

If I'm not misreading the vibe, then that's OK, too. I love a good fight. For example, I love UFC and all kinds of MMA fights. I go to local MMA fights all the time to watch people beat the crap out of each other. It's awesome.

So, if everybody involved has the desire to engage in a no-holds-barred verbal sparring match, that's awesome. I'll sit back and enjoy the show.

Alright, sorry to interrupt. Please continue.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #61
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Dave Meindl wrote: View Post
Of course, I could be completely misreading the vibe here. Maybe everybody is actually in a state of pure bliss and feels like their giving out nothing but verbal hugs to everyone. I'm neither condoning nor condemning verbal hugs, by the way.
Well, you know, Dave, attitudes don't just fall into one of two categories, "pure bliss" and "hostility". If you try to infer an attitude, and if to you it must be either bliss or hostility, then you'll no doubt perceive a lot of hostility in the world. In real life, and possibly in this thread, you'll find also indifference, confusion, annoyance (which is not the same as "hostility"), amusement, enthusiasm, and many others.

Quote:
And I'm certainly not proposing that this is the way this or any thread should proceed. I'm merely selfishly hoping that my ramblings will settle my own emotions after reading and being a little shaken up by this thread.
If you read it all at once instead of over time, as it developed, I suppose it could have that effect. That's the danger in coming into a forum filled with threads that developed over some time: you jump in and to you, it's as if it happened all at once (hence we often get new Aikiweb members offering advice on problems that someone presented five years ago). Maybe it's best to just take a deep breath, don't try to suck it all down at once, and if it affects you that powerfully, just turn off the computer and walk away for a while.

Quote:
If I'm not misreading the vibe, then that's OK, too. I love a good fight. For example, I love UFC and all kinds of MMA fights. I go to local MMA fights all the time to watch people beat the crap out of each other. It's awesome.

So, if everybody involved has the desire to engage in a no-holds-barred verbal sparring match, that's awesome. I'll sit back and enjoy the show.
I think you've misread both the "vibe" and the events. Another mistake that people often make with online forums is inferring some kind of mass mind or groupthink, which doesn't really exist. While it is true that a history of shared discussion can often produce consensus (or, more commonly, groupings around several points of view), you're dealing with individuals here. When you treat a group of people as if they have some kind of hive mind, aren't you insulting every individual in it?

And again, here, you're tending to see things in black and white: either the "vibe" is "bliss", or we're having "a no-holds-barred verbal sparring match". Really, Dave, are those the only choices you want to allow us? Believe me, there's more nuance in that, but if your optics are calibrated only for black and white, that's all you'll ever see.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #62
JLRonin
United_States

Hello Fellow Aikidokies
After a few days of reflection and after I had told myself that Aikiweb was a waste of time and had decided to let the thread go cold, out of curiosity, I took a quick peek. To my surprise I saw and read two elegantly and eloquently written clarifying posts from Kewms and Mastermeindl. Thank you. I had written to Aikiweb telling them the very same thing that Mastermeindl mentions and asking them to have my thread locked and to remove me from Aikiweb. Hmm...wait...I'm thinking... I don't know why Aikiweb did not honor my request. Maybe they felt that it needed some closure. The questions are, are we ready to continue, do we wish to continue, should we continue, can we continue in a harmonious manner?
I can go on having fun and can be tenacious at times. Like The Last Samurai. I like to fight a good battle and die for my beliefs. The vibes are picking up.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #63
JLRonin
United_States

Oh, I have nothing better to do at this time.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #64
JLRonin
United_States

Thank you Mary(Ibb). I'm just trying to think out of the box.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #65
JLRonin
United_States

I had the Idea for some time. It kind of returned to thought after reading the thread by JJF,
Now what?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #66
JLRonin
United_States

Sorry for posting in segments. At the same time I'm going through my emails.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #67
JLRonin
United_States

Just read the thread, Making Sense? by James Sawers. Awesome.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #68
JLRonin
United_States

Those two posts from Kewms and Mastermeindl are what compelled me to post again once more to the best of my abilities and level. I will not mention names unless it is pertinent. Will NOT quote and hopefully not draw any heat or antics. And forgive my grammer.

One contributor said that some people may not understand me and disagree entirely and some may understand but disagree and to not rule out the latter. Yes, that is true. However, I believe that there are also people that understand and agree with me or us, but prefer to stay and remain out of the spotlight. I felt the same way for so long but also felt that something should be done or at least addressed. Sometimes I think that it is better to keep to oneself what we learn and know. Somewhere I read that at one point, when you forget all you know, techniques etc., and then start picking it up again, and learning to let go of things, that is where you discover what Aikido really is. We can't really judge or criticize based on writings or letters. Like something I read on another thread...It has to be felt.

I'm not a scholar nor a writer or a business person and sometimes I feel that people... like myself, have no room to navigate because some of those types of individuals like to take advantage in this society and push us aside. Some of us are not as fortunate or gifted as others and don't have the appeal. I may be wrong, but I think, that is what has happened and is still happening with Aikido today and in so many aspects of life. I like the words of O'sensei in Sensei Saotome' book, Aikido and The Harmony of Nature, page 11. Where it starts with, In 1942 and ends with retreat, in the subsequent paragraph.

Apart from the practical side of Aikido, I have also studied some of the history as well. But I have really bad retention, so bear with me. Cudos to Christopher Li. He has done an awesome job. I have read throughout Aikiweb and other weblinks, sites and magazines, comments from other people saying something like, there are people out there using Aikido to make some extra bread on the side or as a source of income. And so many other remarks that you can write a book about it. I personally had someone state that he wants to make enough money to help pay the rent. And this is the same person that wanted to impose his system on me. So I ask myself, Is this true AIKI?

In one of the interviews that I read, one Shihan states that Aikido is a dying art. Mainly because MMA and other violent, sporty, competitive forms are gaining more interest from our youths. Those of us that love the art have to strive and work hard to save it and keep it alive. Perhaps some scholar out there can start working on the evolution or the transfer/ transferal/transferral of Aikido. Don't worry, I won't ask you for any royalties.

I also have read and heard about how people have moved up the ranks quickly by some type of means. I like the article made available by Christopher Li in the testing forum, ranks thread. If what Sensei Yamada says has merit and substance, then why is this continuing? Sadly, I think that we have been driven into a money dependent society. And this goes back to the Roman Empire or even back to the Egyptians. Perhaps our government can use a bit of AIKI.

To answer the question about why announce my idea in a ww forum? I hesitated at first, the same way I hesitaded to post this time. But then I just took a chance and didn't care...at this darn age. Thinking that there might be some like minded folks out there. I don't know about other states or areas, but here in Colorado it is very hard to find a place to share or rent not having to pay large amounts of money. Everybody wants your money. Other gyms or clubs just don't want to share unless your connected. Community centers are reluctant with Aikido and expect you to be registered and insured. That's another problem. My idea is to have a place for everyone to practice without attachments to any organizational structure or monetary commitments. This may not sit well with some. I know. We can all share, learn and benefit from each other unselfishly. A free open dojo. Not mine, Ours. I'm not dying for a place to practice. I have my own small tatami in my garage and do use a public open space from time to time. I just like to think of others and try to help. Some teachers like to take out their frustrations by showing off and throwing the uke all over. I always liked to serve as uke and be thrown. And drain my frustrations on the tatami in the form of sweat.

Like Mastermeindl suggests, I would like to see a mature contructive conversation (could it be possible?). Not the criticism, nagging or bickering and condescending attitudes. Because maybe within the reasoning of some...I may not be thinking right. If some of you keep insisting on focusing on politics, so be it. Lets go with the flow. However, I have been known to go against the flow and speak my mind. Call me a radical. Remember ya'll, the only dumb question is the one not asked. What politics does the tai-chi community use when they all gather harmoniously to do their exercises? Did or do the monks have a ranking or grading system? Remember what Bruce Lee said, belts are only good to hold up your pants? Like Sensei Yamada said, Everyone knows who's good and who's not. And if not so good then we can all help each other improve. If there is anyone that has anything positive to say or add and If there are people that agree and think it can be done and are willing to help and partake, OK, fine. If not, then, can we weigh out the differences or pros and cons? If not, then this thread has ended as far as I'm concerned. I also like to cut out a problem quick. This is just me thinking.

There is an old Native American saying (not exactly word for word, but to some effect),
[When other man found this land, Natives running it. No money, no taxes, no dept, plenty of resources, water etc. Native women did all home chores. Medicine free. Native men hunted and fished all day. spent evenings playing and talking with family and friends, enjoying and having sex. Only other man dumb enough to think they can change system like that.]

And a Cherokee proverb that says,
[There is a battle of two wolves inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, lies, inferiority and ego. The other is good. It is joy, love, peace, humility, kind, empathetic, truthful and full of hope. The Wolf that wins?...The one you feed the most.]

[why hate those who envy you? They themselves confirm that you are better than they are.]

[Failures are a part of life. If you don't fail, you don't learn. If you don't learn, you'll never CHANGE.]

Now it's time for me to sit back like Mastermeindl.

Last edited by JLRonin : 06-10-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: paragraph spacing
Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #69
Carsten M÷llering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Thank you Julio for your detailed reply!

Quote:
...sometimes I feel that people... like myself, have no room to navigate because some of those types of individuals like to take advantage in this society and push us aside. Some of us are not as fortunate or gifted as others and don't have the appeal.
When I read these words I understood that we see the world with different eyes. And it seems to me that your thread is more about "changing the world" and to mirror this change in the structure of a d˘j˘? Do I get this right?
If so, your statements now make sense to me.
Also talking about that in the worldwide space of this forum, is natural I think, because your intention is much broader then just opening a d˘j˘, isn't it?

I have to say I don't share your experiences and I don't think your analysis to be correct.
Especially to connect your above quoted thougths to aikid˘ and it's development does not meet the actual situation in general - at least as I experience it.

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I think, that is what has happened and is still happening with Aikido today and in so many aspects of life.
Running an aikid˘ club myself and being connected with a lot of aikid˘ka not only in Gemany I clearly do not experience aikid˘ being "pushed aside" and "not having room to navigate".
But maybe I don't understand you correctly?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #70
lbb
United_States

Quote:
I'm not a scholar nor a writer or a business person and sometimes I feel that people... like myself, have no room to navigate because some of those types of individuals like to take advantage in this society and push us aside. Some of us are not as fortunate or gifted as others and don't have the appeal. I may be wrong, but I think, that is what has happened and is still happening with Aikido today and in so many aspects of life.
Meaning that those with a skill for promoting their views and interests tend to get heard and followed more than those who lack this skill? Yes, this is true. It has always been true and always will be true. It's a result of human nature. It's also true that those whose message has value do tend to get heard eventually even if they're not great self-promoters -- but not widely, and not right away. I just finished (re)reading Housman's "A Shropshire Lad", some of the most well-known poetry in the English language. At the time it was written, the collection was universally rejected by publishers: Housman had to pay to get it published. Most good ideas don't get widespread acclaim or masses of people saying, "That's right! Where do I sign up?" There's no point in blaming the world for this.

Quote:
Apart from the practical side of Aikido, I have also studied some of the history as well. But I have really bad retention, so bear with me. Cudos to Christopher Li. He has done an awesome job. I have read throughout Aikiweb and other weblinks, sites and magazines, comments from other people saying something like, there are people out there using Aikido to make some extra bread on the side or as a source of income. And so many other remarks that you can write a book about it. I personally had someone state that he wants to make enough money to help pay the rent. And this is the same person that wanted to impose his system on me. So I ask myself, Is this true AIKI?
I don't know about other states or areas, but here in Colorado it is very hard to find a place to share or rent not having to pay large amounts of money. Everybody wants your money. Other gyms or clubs just don't want to share unless your connected. Community centers are reluctant with Aikido and expect you to be registered and insured. That's another problem. My idea is to have a place for everyone to practice without attachments to any organizational structure or monetary commitments. This may not sit well with some. I know. We can all share, learn and benefit from each other unselfishly. A free open dojo. Not mine, Ours.
I think that the ideal dojo is a cooperative venture - but I also think you need to be a bit careful in your use of the word "free". Every space you can name - dojo, gym, dance studio or community center - cost someone something to build and maintain. They're not getting it free, and in most cases, they're not getting it without constraints on how the space can be used - they have to, by law, carry insurance to cover the activities that take place in the space. They have to pay for all of that. With enough money, you can create a space that's free to your members -- but only by absorbing their costs yourself. The same is true of any dojo, gym, dance studio or community center that you ask to give you space for free. You are asking them to pay your way, and in most cases, they can't do that and keep the doors open. You say "everybody wants your money" - the way I see it, everybody NEEDS your money if they are to provide you with a practice space.

Quote:
Like Mastermeindl suggests, I would like to see a mature contructive conversation (could it be possible?). Not the criticism, nagging or bickering and condescending attitudes.
Suggestion: if you do want dialogue, be careful of how you frame the discussion. Starting off by accusing others of "criticism, nagging or bickering and condescending attitudes" is not the way to create the mature constructive conversation you say you want. Trying to control the dialogue by categorizing anything not to your liking as "not positive" is a sure route to failure.

Quote:
There is an old Native American saying (not exactly word for word, but to some effect),
[When other man found this land, Natives running it. No money, no taxes, no dept, plenty of resources, water etc. Native women did all home chores. Medicine free. Native men hunted and fished all day. spent evenings playing and talking with family and friends, enjoying and having sex. Only other man dumb enough to think they can change system like that.]
Yes, it must have been awesome to be a native man in this story. Perhaps not so much to be a native woman, doing "all home chores". Tell me something, how many dojos did they have? If you lived in a world like this, how would you find your dojo? Who would build it for you?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #71
JLRonin
United_States

oh...yeah, let me add nit-pick to the list of verbs.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #72
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mert Gambito wrote: View Post
Agree. Here's a photo of our dojo in Honolulu:

Hi Mert,
Having visited Honolulu/Hilo/Lahaina etc I feel the climate is ok for out door practice.Where I live the rain would drench you and the cold air from the North Sea would freeze not only you hands and feet , but certain parts of the anatomy related to the procreative process.
Instead of a gi you would need a raincoat and a set of furry underpants.Not to mention Wellington boots.
Cheers, Joe
Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #73
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
... I would like to see a mature contructive conversation (could it be possible?). Not the criticism, nagging or bickering and condescending attitudes. ...
Good idea

so to that end, you must try to END your own condescending irritating dismissals, just for example ;
Quote:
It's funny how people think and perceive.

Still....The twists and turns. Still....Funny how people think and perceive.
You know?

It's ALWAYS a great idea to have a free Dojo, no subscriptions, no politics, no ... etc etc
I hope it works.
To help it work you must pretend to be less abrasive, less butthurt, less sensitive.
This IS an internet forum after all.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #74
Krystal Locke
United_States

Here's the deal.
I would not want to train in a dojo that had no liability insurance, no financial structure, no facilities, and no affiliation. I prefer that my dojo be a physical space that I am welcome and safe in because I share financial and physical responsibility for the space. Sweeping the mat is good training. Paying money and effort (and money is a proxy for effort) for what I receive from my dojo is perfectly reasonable. Aikido and my dojo owe me nothing. I owe aikido and my dojo an awful lot. I want my dojo to always be there for me, so I contribute to its continuation. Working for money to pay for dojo membership is good training. If I cant be motivated enough to have a job that covers my life and my training, then I shouldn't be training.

I do not want an unaffiliated dojo. I want to have confidence in my aikido, therefore I have to choose my dojo and sensei carefully. I choose based on the sensei's demonstrated skill, rank, and political affiliation. I prefer the skill set that association with and rank through the Aikikai helps ensure. I like having an easily portable belt. My dojo's affiliations give me confidence in my skills. My dojo's political position in the aikido world allows dojos I may visit to have confidence in me as a competent, safe-to-train-with guest who will not cause a disruption, or at least know what they're likely getting.

I asked a few questions early in this thread, and I asked them because I am interested in your answers. Why do you think aikido should be free? How are you actually going to avoid politics? How are you going to protect your dojo, your students, everyone's skills, and your reputation without both money and association? These are not rhetorical questions, they are real concerns that people who wish to start dojos contend with.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #75
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

I'm just trying to figure out on what basis it was decided that the art was God given and meant to be free. O-Sensei paid a substantial amount for his training. The Deshi always paid for their training either via membership fees or by teaching at various company or school clubs (which in turn made donations to headquartets). I have certainly spent enough on my own training over the years to pay for at least one of my kid's college and no place I ever trained was "free". So, who decided it was meant to be free? You want to have a free dojo, go ahead... but the implication of saying it was meant to be free is that somehow everyone else is mercenary and greedy. Those Aikido professionals like myself who gave up good careers to pursue the art and have kept dojos open for multiple decades would, I think take issue with that... at least I would.

There's a reason that the various Hombu Dojos have professional training programs. It's to produce professional grade teachers. I am sure that there are folks out there who, out of the goodness of their hearst offer free classes, at a community center or in a park or soemsuch. But I have never met a practitioner who came out of such a program who was skilled or became a teacher without training at a regular dojo or going to Japan. Someone has to cover the costs... I just don't see where "meant to be free" comes in and don't believe that anyone actually stated that it should be "free".

Last edited by George S. Ledyard : 06-19-2013 at 03:22 PM.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!