Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Allen Beebe
United_States
Post "Love of Aikido," or "It's not about THEM, it's about AIKI ME!," or "Duck and cover!"

I've trained more than once with Rob and Ark (Very Powerful!), "touched" Mike S. once (the day after hemorrhoid surgery and a 7 hour drive to, and from, Seattle - best not remembered!), had the pleasure of training BJJ & Self Defense with Tim C. more than once (Great Teacher IMHO!). I met and began training with Dan Harden about a year and nine months ago and that is all I've been seriously working on since that time. I put aside 35 years of weight training and ceased 40 years of waza practice, including resigning a licensed position under one of the foremost Koryu Jujutsu teachers in the world. I'm serious about developing Aiki. So far no regrets. As when Shirata sensei died, if Dan were to "get called up" I don't think I'd have any inclination to learn from anyone else, unless by some unlikely coincidence I found yet another individual teaching/training the same thing*, in the same manner, with the same teaching and demonstrable abilities, and (of great importance to me) with the same high moral character.

It simply blows my mind that both of these rare gentlemen are/were active during my life and I have/had the opportunity to learn from both. No, they are/were not "god-like" nor would they every allow me to attribute that quality to them. Rather, they are/were all too fallible human beings that set themselves apart by their unrelenting striving to be better . . . human beings and Aiki Do ka.

Everyone seriously training has a model of some sort. IMO those seriously trying to improve allow for flexibility in (and sometimes a substitution of) the evolving model of their understandings and experiences. The ones I see improving the most rapidly are those with a penchant for thinking for themselves, deeply and broadly researching relevant physical, oral, and written information, training fanatically and never being satisfied with the results produced regardless of how many individuals think they are "a cut above" or by those that attribute their growing power to normal physical strength or refined technique.

The deal breaker for most that gain any interest in this is, and will be, the unavoidable fact that one must "check one's ego at the door" to progress. As an example, the "newest," youngest, and "lowest ranked" guy in our dojo is by far the strongest in Aiki among us. He reflects all of the qualities I've listed above. Results are results and should not be denied or explained away if one is sincere and honest. One must stare the reality of results in the face and accept the implications made evident by those results. Although I suspect that our "newest," youngest, "lowest ranked" talent would readily point out that his results are a product of quality instruction and collaborative effort, he is clearly doing something right DESPITE of, not entirely BECAUSE of, our collected experience, rank, etc. That being the case, guess who I listen to in my dojo when he talks about what he is doing to get results! Sure sucks for my ego but its great for my training! I don't really need to travel outside my own dojo for the best training of this stuff I'm aware of beyond training with Dan . . . too bad it isn't all because of me . . . Or maybe NOT too bad, I've observed Budo celebrity being the "kiss of death" more times than I care to remember!

I'm really sick today, hence my weakness prompting me to post here today. Personally I'm perfectly comfortable letting people "do their own thing." I think that is because I've already spent decades doing "my own different Aiki thing" all the while being told what I was doing wasn't Aikido, and/or sometimes negatively or just erroneously typified, etc. No big deal! I get to do what I love, share (learning and training) with those of similar interest and make great friends along the way.

Not that I'm criticizing the internet or AikiWeb. If it weren't for Jun's board and for Dan's prolific early posting I likely wouldn't have ever known about him, much less recognize in his words the very teachings and phenomena shared with me by Shirata sensei decades ago. So I don't begrudge the next person who decides that there is something here worth exploring. I don't begrudge my respected friends in Budo who rationally doubt the hearsay since it contradicts their decades of experience training, teaching and fighting around the world. Rather, I respect them for, and completely understand their rational doubts, although any of those same friends that have met Dan have never doubted thereafter! I just find my time is better spent training . . . unless I'm sick. My son is too. We're hanging out being miserable together!

Each with our own bowl . . . [:-(

*Aiki as felt and taught by my teacher Shirata Rinjiro, licensed Instructor of Daito Ryu (via Ueshiba under authority of Takeda Sokaku, whom I understand he also trained with in Ueshiba's Osaka dojo) and Aikido 10th Dan (via Kishimaru Ueshiba whom I understand to have asked Shirata to censor his teaching as it did not conform to Kishomaru's modern goals.) A man who trained and taught under Ueshiba Morihei in both Daito Ryu AND Aikido back when the books being used by later sensei as evidence of his teaching Ueshiba's waza (More power to him and his students!) were created. A man who DID understand Omoto and Shinto terminology, as he was raised in it and appointed by Ueshiba Morihei to teach at the Budo Senyokai in his teacher's stead for that very reason. He also used that very same terminology some sixty years later to describe Aikido as he learned it from the teacher he dedicated his life to serving, Ueshiba Morihei. And, yes, that terminology was the same as Ueshiba Morihei used in Takemusu Aiki and in Aiki Shinzui, and matches terminology and concepts used in Japan easily traceable to the 800's, which we know, via recorded history, came to Japan from China and India via Chinese priests, Japanese priests trained in China, and even (at least one that I recall) Indian priest that came to Japan. The same mumbo jumbo that many, if not most of Ueshiba's direct students and those later Hombu uchideshi at least profoundly touched and inspired by the elderly Ueshiba admittedly could not comprehend and therefore longed to "get on with" their regular practice.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States
Re: "Love of Aikido," or "It's not about THEM, it's about AIKI ME!," or "Duck and cov

Oh no. You must be very very sick.

And it is so nice out today...

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: "Love of Aikido," or "It's not about THEM, it's about AIKI ME!," or "Duck and cov

Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
Oh no. You must be very very sick.

And it is so nice out today...
Yeah, together the kids and I have redefined the meaning of "tissue recruitment!"

~ Allen Beebe
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Jeremy Hulley
Dojo: Seattle School of Aikido Shinto Ryu/Seattle Icho Ryu

Thanks Allen..

Jeremy Hulley
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
Tuesday Night Bad Budo Club
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Must be a fever dream.

Best,

Chris

Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

Great post - so sorry you had to be ill to "waste" your time on it because it was certainly worth writing and worth reading.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
MM
United_States

Yep, what Janet said.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Yep, what Janet said.
Now if we could only get him sick more often...

Best,

Chris

Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
MM
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Now if we could only get him sick more often...

Best,

Chris
LOL!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
I

Each with our own bowl . . . [:-(
Allen
Would still like to get you down this way to So Cal sometime to share your experiences and the practice you carry on as felt and taught by your teacher Shirata Rinjiro. I mentioned this to you earlier in the year and would like you to consider the possibilities.......

and what you said above...........

Gary
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Allen Beebe
United_States

Thanks every body,

Your responses are definitely "spirit raising."

Being born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, I'm pretty sure that both Southern Cal and the Pacific Islands would be quite a stress to the delicate balance of my bodily humours! But then again if a lowly rat bastard (or was that a "bear's backside?") from the Eastern hinterland can do it, I'm sure I can too. (And I won't be wearing purple and black, or putting "r's" on the end of vowels where they don't belong. The "R," the 76th kotodama! )

Nighty night!,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Yeah, together the kids and I have redefined the meaning of "tissue recruitment!"

You need to be careful of that redefined tissue recruitment stuff - it really is 'snot' the real thing

get well soon, brother

Greg
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

This effing forum software really needs a "like" button. Hope you're well.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
woudew
Dojo: Seikokan
Netherlands

So 1 week later and in a foreign German town i am reading just now your great post.

I'd just wish you write more of this stuff more often.

(and don't let Doug fool you )
Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

Quote:
Walter Oude Wesselink wrote: View Post
(and don't let Doug fool you )
Oh Walter, it is unavoidable. We all have our rolls to fill.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場