Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Two Hundred and Twenty

Maintain correct posture.

My overall posture is composed of two separate components that come together, appropriately enough, at One Point. External posture is the posture of my body. It is characterized by how I maintain my physical structure in space. Internal posture is the posture of my mind. It is characterized by how I see myself in my mind's eye. External and internal posture combine to form a co-referential feedback loop which can prove extremely empowering.

The cooperative nature of Aikido training serves to foster correct external and internal postures. Over time as I continue to train, lapses of posture are less frequent and correct posture becomes my natural and most dependable state.

(Original blog post may be found here.)
Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Two Hundred and Twenty

Are you talking about kinaesthetics: When you say "how I see myself" does this mean how you see/feel/perceive your external posture inside?
Or does it meen seeing yourself in a wider sense: Sensing how you are?

Is your mind "only" seeing yourself? Only perceiving? Or has it got also an active role: Forming a state you are in? Or in other words building kind of "posture"/way of being by itself?
If so, how are, what you call, internal and external posture connected? How does it work that they affect each other? Which vehicel do they use to communicate?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Are you talking about kinaesthetics: When you say "how I see myself" does this mean how you see/feel/perceive your external posture inside?
I would have to say no.

Quote:
Or does it meen seeing yourself in a wider sense: Sensing how you are?
This comes closer to the mark but it's more visceral than the type of recap your're referring to when you say 'sensing how you are'. Where external posture is the structure of my body in space, internal posture is the structure of my state of being in time.

Quote:
Is your mind "only" seeing yourself? Only perceiving? Or has it got also an active role: Forming a state you are in? Or in other words building kind of "posture"/way of being by itself?
My mind is both observer and creator.

Quote:
If so, how are, what you call, internal and external posture connected? How does it work that they affect each other? Which vehicel do they use to communicate?
If I perceive myself as downtrodden and victimized by events of daily life this image (internal posture) will be reflected in my external posture; probably in the form of bowed head, rounded shoulders, furtive glances and the like. My poor external posture will further enhance the poor self image I have of myself which will, in turn, reinforce my poor external posture all the more. Conversely, if I perceive myself as strong and confident, able to adapt to and cope with the events of daily life this image (internal posture) will be reflected in my external posture; probably in the form of squared shoulders, straight back and an overall relaxed physical appearance . My good external posture will further enhance the good self image I have of myself which will, in turn, reinforce my good external posture all the more.That's what I mean by a co-referential feedback loop.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
I would have to say no.

This comes closer to the mark but it's more visceral than the type of recap your're referring to when you say 'sensing how you are'. Where external posture is the structure of my body in space, internal posture is the structure of my state of being in time.

My mind is both observer and creator.

If I perceive myself as downtrodden and victimized by events of daily life this image (internal posture) will be reflected in my external posture; probably in the form of bowed head, rounded shoulders, furtive glances and the like. My poor external posture will further enhance the poor self image I have of myself which will, in turn, reinforce my poor external posture all the more. Conversely, if I perceive myself as strong and confident, able to adapt to and cope with the events of daily life this image (internal posture) will be reflected in my external posture; probably in the form of squared shoulders, straight back and an overall relaxed physical appearance . My good external posture will further enhance the good self image I have of myself which will, in turn, reinforce my good external posture all the more.That's what I mean by a co-referential feedback loop.
That is a very clear explanation - I will have to have a look on your weblog more often !
Thank you,
Tom
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Thank you Ron for your explanation. I think I understand better now, what you mean.