Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #126
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
As far as I understand the devil is (as ever) in the details, i.e. what kind of connection is there between the hand and the dantien and what other body connections come into play?
Oh well, small chance we'll ever figure it out without doing a show-and-tell, but just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
Show and tell *your* abilities and then discuss how you train crossing hands with the real experts. I did. I have a connected body, and I taught others how to as well.

Reading?
All I keep reading in posts and blogs is equal to the baby side of the pool, and even that is missing so much critical information that one wonders why anyone even bothered. I have yet to feel anyone with power from.....reading.
Dan
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #127
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
Location: New York
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 75
United_States
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
As far as I understand the devil is (as ever) in the details, i.e. what kind of connection is there between the hand and the dantien and what other body connections come into play?
Oh well, small chance we'll ever figure it out without doing a show-and-tell, but just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
Joep,

I think that Harden character has been to the "Nether-Lands" quite a few times already(where were you?). Chances are he will be back...Go for it!!! Just my 2cents. ;0)

TakeCare,

ChrisW

PS Then maybe you can have some "show" & "tell". Enjoy
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #128
jss
Location: Rotterdam
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 459
Netherlands
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Show and tell *your* abilities and then discuss how you train crossing hands with the real experts.
I have more opinions than I have abilities, so no thanks, I'm good.

Quote:
All I keep reading in posts and blogs is equal to the baby side of the pool, and even that is missing so much critical information that one wonders why anyone even bothered.
So we can agree there's more to it than "hand and dantien are connected"?

Quote:
Chris Western wrote: View Post
I think that Harden character has been to the "Nether-Lands" quite a few times already(where were you?). Chances are he will be back...Go for it!!! Just my 2cents. ;0)
I have asked at least two times to attend one of his seminars and was refused both times, so that's not going to work...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #129
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Joep
I almost NEVER turn people away.
Hmm.... People who affiliate with certain people who are known as disingenuous trouble makers are not welcome to my seminars. It's not personal...to you.
Like my dad said..."You choose your friends, and others may turn their backs on you because of it, so choose wisely."
I've literally turned my back to real friends of mine for their choices.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 11-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #130
Lorel Latorilla
Location: Osaka
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 311
Japan
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
I have more opinions than I have abilities, so no thanks, I'm good.

So we can agree there's more to it than "hand and dantien are connected"?

I have asked at least two times to attend one of his seminars and was refused both times, so that's not going to work...
Hi Joep,

Just to make it known. I have no particular favor towards Dan. I have never met him nor have I experienced his system. But to make it fair, I can understand why Dan would not explain himself online..which some people would interpret as him being evasive.

But I think he refuses to engage people online because I believe he HAS explained himself and to the best of his abilities online, and people have downplayed his knowledge based on what he expressed through words. For some people, the language he uses is not satisfactory and does not meet their standards. For this reason, people have dismissed his work as bunk, without even meeting him. So a lot of these "questions" people ask him online, just look likes like a verbal challenge, one that he will not be able to fulfill because people are always finding ways to make him look like he doesn't know anything (based of course on what they know).

But like Dan says, he has met some heavy hitting top "internal" guys in open rooms...you can ask
Dan and some others here who have seen those encounters what they had to say about him. you can ask people from those encounters whether or not Dan really has "internal skill" and what those heavy hitters had to say about him. And if you are truly interested in pursuing skill, then go and see him! Don't try engage him in "verbal" challenge by disingenuously disguising it as a "discussion" where you can pursue the "truth" of internal martial arts.

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #131
jss
Location: Rotterdam
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 459
Netherlands
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Joep
I almost NEVER turn people away.
Hmm.... People who affiliate with certain people who are known as disingenuous trouble makers are not welcome to my seminars. It's not personal...to you.
Like my dad said..."You choose your friends, and others may turn their backs on you because of it, so choose wisely."
I've literally turned my back to real friends of mine for their choices.
Dan
No hard feelings. We discussed this openly and honestly through PMs. Although I regret your decision, I do respect it. Only reason I brought it up was because Chris (Tengu859) deserved a proper reply to his question.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #132
jss
Location: Rotterdam
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 459
Netherlands
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
Just to make it known. I have no particular favor towards Dan. I have never met him nor have I experienced his system. But to make it fair, I can understand why Dan would not explain himself online..which some people would interpret as him being evasive.

<snip>

<snip>Don't try engage him in "verbal" challenge by disingenuously disguising it as a "discussion" where you can pursue the "truth" of internal martial arts.
Hi Lorel,

I don't fully understand why you addressed the above post to me, especially the last sentence. Sure, I was challenging Dan in my two posts, but he parried those nicely and I have no intention on following it up. So yes I was pushing it a bit, but I also believe I know when to quit, which is what I did.
In any case, thanks for the feedback.

All the best,
Joep
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #133
Lorel Latorilla
Location: Osaka
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 311
Japan
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
Hi Lorel,

I don't fully understand why you addressed the above post to me, especially the last sentence. Sure, I was challenging Dan in my two posts, but he parried those nicely and I have no intention on following it up. So yes I was pushing it a bit, but I also believe I know when to quit, which is what I did.
In any case, thanks for the feedback.

All the best,
Joep
Joep.

Nothing personal against you; "you" was a theoretical "you".

Best
Lorel

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #134
Lorel Latorilla
Location: Osaka
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 311
Japan
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Lorel
Thanks. No lengthy answer, I'm on a plane. I don't want to interfere too much with all the agendas popping up...
I have taught dantian driven movement for over twenty years.
"The hand doesn't move without the center/ the center doesn't move without the hand" ...is a teaching of Daito ryu. One that Howard and I both learned more than two decades ago. It is a specific teaching with specialized exercises solo and paired to learn how to,....activate...hara (dantian). Thus we find it hilarious to read internet personalities and their followers telling us we don't use dantian.

There is no need to engage these people. As you and many others know, I have crossed hands with the real experts...not bloggers. Maybe its meaningful that the experts...who actually had a lengthy one on one exchange...do not share the same opinions as those who have never laid a hand on me or seen me move.

I'm out. I only popped in because my name came up.
Dan
No doubt. Just wanted to chime in about that because there seem sto be a recurring pattern here

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #135
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
No hard feelings. We discussed this openly and honestly through PMs. Although I regret your decision, I do respect it. Only reason I brought it up was because Chris (Tengu859) deserved a proper reply to his question.
I honestly don't remember, but I am glad that our communication was open and honest. I have made a few exceptions to those affiliated with a certain person to come and train; all but a few turned out very well. Away from that exception (which turned out to be very wise), I let anyone come.
I hope you are enjoying your training and search.
Dan
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #136
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: Mike sigman's internal strength parameters- Have you guys read this; really!

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
No doubt. Just wanted to chime in about that because there seems to be a recurring pattern here
I always appreciate honesty without agenda.
Isn't it strange how agendas somehow allow people to excuse abhorrent behavior and stare truth...right in the face.. and deny everything that doesn't fit the agenda.

In the mean time, I continue to tell people to go train with *everyone* and get what they can for themselves...don't just look to me. I have no agenda that requires me to be above anyone else. Let's just pursue truth. After reading certain people *claiming* that attitude, like a fool, I thought they meant whey write.
Big mistake!!
Dan

Last edited by DH : 11-21-2012 at 01:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 17 Peter Goldsbury Columns 41 06-03-2010 09:46 PM
YouTube: Internal strength demo... ashe Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 69 12-16-2009 01:32 PM
My take on a Mike Sigman seminar... Keith Larman General 14 10-08-2009 02:24 AM
Misogi and Internal Training Aikibu Training 50 06-27-2008 01:35 PM
Aikido as External Art -or- Where's the Chewy Center? ChrisMoses Training 130 03-17-2007 03:21 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate