Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Aiki vs useless waza ?

In my view "aiki" and technique or waza are two seperate themes, but I strongly believe the one leads to the other just like being young has got nothing to do with being old but still there is a clean connection in the sence that the one leads to the other- I guess..?

Why should we distinguish between the two and whats the purpose of that ?

Any thoughts on this anyone ?

Cheers
Lars
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
In my view "aiki" and technique or waza are two seperate themes, but I strongly believe the one leads to the other just like being young has got nothing to do with being old but still there is a clean connection in the sence that the one leads to the other- I guess..?

Why should we distinguish between the two and whats the purpose of that ?

Any thoughts on this anyone ?

Cheers
Lars
"I move and techniques are born." Ueshiba.
"Aiki, in me, before Aiki between thee and me." Harden

Most people have no idea how to produce the actual "aiki" that Takeda and Ueshiba were doing and why the above quotes makes so much sense and are the same thing. It is a 180 deg turn around from the way most people even see their art. As I said back on the aikido list "It's full speed ...in the wrong direction." So.....the modern approach substitutes movement and waza to cover their structural flaws and openings.
Ueshiba, Takeda, Sagawa all knew and explained that:
Aiki begins inside you.... not between two.
The modern approach, by its very nature "depends' on the two!!
Another way to look at it is:
The old way is movement of energy
The new way is the energy of movement.

I am taking Jun's and other folks advice these days and spending an effort to explain why, instead of just being critical of the modern approach. Most everyone keeps pointing to the old way and bragging on the skills of Ueshiba and his prewar people without considering those same peoples approach to do what they did.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-14-2012 at 12:02 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Mario Tobias
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 252
Philippines
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

waza is the reality, aiki is the mystery

waza will give you very small hints how aiki works
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
"I move and techniques are born." Ueshiba.
"Aiki, in me, before Aiki between thee and me." Harden

Most people have no idea how to produce the actual "aiki" that Takeda and Ueshiba were doing and why the above quotes makes so much sense and are the same thing. It is a 180 deg turn around from the way most people even see their art. As I said back on the aikido list "It's full speed ...in the wrong direction." So.....the modern approach substitutes movement and waza to cover their structural flaws and openings.
Ueshiba, Takeda, Sagawa all knew and explained that:
Aiki begins inside you.... not between two.
The modern approach, by its very nature "depends' on the two!!
Another way to look at it is:
The old way is movement of energy
The new way is the energy of movement.


I am taking Jun's and other folks advice these days and spending an effort to explain why, instead of just being critical of the modern approach. Most everyone keeps pointing to the old way and bragging on the skills of Ueshiba and his prewar people without considering those same peoples approach to do what they did.
Dan
Now where have i heard that before -

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Mario Tobias wrote: View Post
waza is the reality, aiki is the mystery

waza will give you very small hints how aiki works
VERY small hints
Ueshiba had an extensive solo training regimen
So did Shirata-Kisshomaru banned it
So did Takeda
Takeda said never teach white people, and only teach one or two per generation.
So did Sagawa
As Sagawa noted:
"Aiki is about training the body, only a fool thinks you can get it from practicing waza."
Here we are decades later.............mostly westerners....talking about aiki from waza.

Okay...who do we want to feel like?
What did THEY do?
They each had a solo training regimen....why?
What did it do?
Dan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Now where have i heard that before -

Greg

Cool how so many different quotes-spanning eras and cultures...all fit.
Almost like they involved the same type of work!!

Dan
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

O´sensei was one of a kind and so was the other geniouses of aikido.
Wery few of us will ever be able to reach their level for many very good reasons.
This doesn´t make aikido useless I feel.

My question still stands: What´s the purpose of distinguishing between aiki and waza ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Aiki is the state or condition and waza is the motion, the 'do'.

Peace.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post

Cool how so many different quotes-spanning eras and cultures...all fit.
Almost like they involved the same type of work!!

Dan
Very true - however, I really like this one so much I put it in my signature line because it comes directly to the core of why movement focused training fails for development of internal skills; the focus needs to be the energy

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Very true - however, I really like this one so much I put it in my signature line because it comes directly to the core of why movement focused training fails for development of internal skills; the focus needs to be the energy

Greg
Still my questions stand, so what will it be ? Answers or not ?
:-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Still my questions stand, so what will it be ? Answers or not ?
:-)
OK, fair enough - IMO, you can have waza without aiki and you can have waza with aiki - waza will not create aiki, but aiki can create waza.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
OK, fair enough - IMO, you can have waza without aiki and you can have waza with aiki - waza will not create aiki, but aiki can create waza.
Assuming you are a white belt 6´th kyu, how do you even begin to understand aikido if there is no waza and only aiki ?
Waza leads to aiki and aiki leads to new realizations thus new techniques. That´s life.
:-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Assuming you are a white belt 6´th kyu, how do you even begin to understand aikido if there is no waza and only aiki ?
Waza leads to aiki and aiki leads to new realizations thus new techniques. That´s life.
:-)
Never said there is no waza - did say that waza will not develop aiki, but waza can (and should) be used to help understand the effectiveness of aiki. Aiki development is separate from learning waza forms - however, they can be brought together as long you understand the relationship between them; which waza leading to aiki is not one of them, IMO.

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Never said there is no waza - did say that waza will not develop aiki, but waza can (and should) be used to help understand the effectiveness of aiki. Aiki development is separate from learning waza forms - however, they can be brought together as long you understand the relationship between them; which waza leading to aiki is not one of them, IMO.

Greg
Youre right, there is allways waza and whether or not it develops understanding of or the ability to develop aiki is the same to me.
The buttomline is that waza is indistutable in terms of learning aikido and so is aiki in terms of enhancing your training over time. Afterall were all doing aikiDO- no ?
Cheers,
Lars
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Correct motion helps you develop correct condition and correct condition helps you develope correct motion. Interdependent.

Peace.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Lee Salzman
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 405
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Assuming you are a white belt 6´th kyu, how do you even begin to understand aikido if there is no waza and only aiki ?
Waza leads to aiki and aiki leads to new realizations thus new techniques. That´s life.
:-)
The grand irony of this is it is all backwards, it's sort of like asking: If you've never done math, how can you even begin to understand math if there is no calculus and only learning how to count or do arithmetic? Do we expect people to critique Shakespeare when the only words they yet know are Mommy and Daddy? Look at how most Chinese martial arts conducts learning: body skills, how to move, are primary. Only once the body understands how to move, so that the students' mind is not scattered in a hundred directions just trying to take a step, just trying to hold a defensive stance, just trying to throw a punch, etc. do you even begin to learn to techniques, to learn to fight, etc. I'm not just talking about how to do irimi or tenkan, or how to take a fall, I am talking about how to move, like everything down to the way you wiggle your toes or point your fingers. When that is at a subconscious level done correct, then you do waza. That is a process that by itself takes years. Why is it that aikido has decided it is proper to go the other way, trying to teach waza when a beginner can't even stand upright in-place correctly?

Last edited by Lee Salzman : 10-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
The grand irony of this is it is all backwards, it's sort of like asking: If you've never done math, how can you even begin to understand math if there is no calculus and only learning how to count or do arithmetic? Look at how most Chinese martial arts conducts learning: body skills, how to move, are primary. Only once the body understands how to move, so that the students' mind is not scattered in a hundred directions just trying to take a step, just trying to hold a defensive stance, just trying to throw a punch, etc. do you even begin to learn to techniques, to learn to fight, etc. I'm not just talking about how to do irimi or tenkan, or how to take a fall, I am talking about how to move, like everything down to the way you wiggle your toes or point your fingers. When that is at a subconscious level done correct, then you do waza. Why is it that aikido has decided it is proper to go the other way, trying to teach waza when a beginner can't even stand upright in-place correctly?
I like your observations.
From my experience it´s possible to learn techniques- maybe not perfect the first couple of years-
but gradually over time all the small adjustments you are talking about falls into place.
In a way I feel basic understanding of our motory skills from the outset are more important than understanding aiki from the outset.
Sooner or later awase will emerge by itself as a consequence of training.
I don´t believe awase is something that can be taught and learned in 6-12 months.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Youre right, there is allways waza and whether or not it develops understanding of or the ability to develop aiki is the same to me.
The buttomline is that waza is indistutable in terms of learning aikido and so is aiki in terms of enhancing your training over time. Afterall were all doing aikiDO- no ?
Cheers,
Lars
The real bottom line here is that your view of aikl and my view of what it is are very different - based on that fact, your statements make no sense to me and mine no sense to you -

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
The real bottom line here is that your view of aikl and my view of what it is are very different - based on that fact, your statements make no sense to me and mine no sense to you -

Greg
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows ? Maybe I understand more than you assume and vice versa ?

Last edited by lars beyer : 10-14-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: I believe
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,079
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Assuming you are a white belt 6�th kyu, how do you even begin to understand aikido if there is no waza and only aiki ?
Waza leads to aiki and aiki leads to new realizations thus new techniques. That�s life.
:-)
Actually, I've found that people who haven't burned in the wrong habits over the years with repetitive kata practice actually tend to do somewhat better picking this stuff up.

"Waza leads to aiki", in theory, in practice I think it's very difficult for most people to extract the principles from the morass.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Actually, I've found that people who haven't burned in the wrong habits over the years with repetitive kata practice actually tend to do somewhat better picking this stuff up.

"Waza leads to aiki", in theory, in practice I think it's very difficult for most people to extract the principles from the morass.

Best,

Chris
Well, you may be right, but then again you may be wrong.. I have a hard time figuring out how to apply constants and fit generalisations to aikido practitioneers.. But from a personal perspective I speak like I do because my first teacher taught me there was no technique and only aiki for 4 years. Then i decided to move dojo and learning technique all the irrational stuff slowly gathered itself to give meaning- but only through UNLEARNING bad posture and bad movement- that took about 3 years.
Thats why for me there is no such thing as no waza.
And still I believe aiki is equally important- when youre ready for it !
But I also feel that if you only learn aiki and poor posture and bad movement from the beginning your aikido will surely suck.
Please bear in mind this is my PERSONAL opinion and not ANYBODY elses !

Lars
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,079
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Well, you may be right, but then again you may be wrong.. I have a hard time figuring out how to apply constants and fit generalisations to aikido practitioneers.. But from a personal perspective I speak like I do because my first teacher taught me there was no technique and only aiki for 4 years. Then i decided to move dojo and learning technique all the irrational stuff slowly gathered itself to give meaning- but only through UNLEARNING bad posture and bad movement- that took about 3 years.
Thats why for me there is no such thing as no waza.
And still I believe aiki is equally important- when youre ready for it !
But I also feel that if you only learn aiki and poor posture and bad movement from the beginning your aikido will surely suck.
Please bear in mind this is my PERSONAL opinion and not ANYBODY elses !

Lars
If you had bad posture and bad movement then...either you weren't leaning Aiki or your definition of Aiki is different then mine.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
If you had bad posture and bad movement then...either you weren't leaning Aiki or your definition of Aiki is different then mine.

Best,

Chris
Like I said,l I don´t really have a big thing for generalisations or people who won´t discuss from a level eyed position.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #24
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,079
United_States
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Like I said,l I don�t really have a big thing for generalisations or people who won�t discuss from a level eyed position.
It's not a generalization - in my definition of Aiki posture will be corrected inherently - no way around it.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #25
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Location: Denmark
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 273
Denmark
Offline
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
It's not a generalization - in my definition of Aiki posture will be corrected inherently - no way around it.

Best,

Chris
What is our definition of "aiki posture" ?
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Primer on Aikido, Aiki and IS David Orange Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 77 11-28-2011 08:58 AM
Ueshiba's Aiki Chris Knight General 624 11-20-2011 07:35 PM
"Hidden in Plain Sight" - Takeda Sokaku Ellis Amdur Supplies 75 09-24-2009 07:16 PM
Testing requirements kyu levels arjandevries Testing 10 08-07-2006 08:26 PM
What Makes a Technique an "Aikido" Technique? akiy Techniques 55 11-02-2005 02:01 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate