Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #26
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: Training TKD/Karate while taking aikido?

you can argue the cross train either way. one can train in one art for along time to get it right then take on something else. i have seen folks who had difficult picking up new and different stuffs. just look at some of the aikido seminars, how often you see the seminar instructor shown folks stuffs, only to see folks went and did what they have always been done at their own dojo? that's just within aikido alone. adding a different art? good luck on that one.

of course there are those who exposed to multiple arts at the same time earlier on, who don't seem to have problem picking up new and unusual stuffs on the fly, and tend to be quite open minded about things.

martial arts really come down to training how to control your body to make it does what you want it to do. if i want to "take this foot and put on that side of your face, and there is nothing you can do about it" i can without even thinking about it. of course, for some of us, who got a bit older, where our body said "oh hell no! you ain't gonna move my fat ass anywhere!"

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #27
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

I think that the issue in cross-training in martial arts has more to do with finding similarities in the "operating systems." If one system is teaching to respond with a lot of muscular contraction, while another system is teaching you to respond with a relaxed and connected body, then you might be in for some trouble. You cannot be in two places at once. That being said, most high level instruction in many martial arts have similar (if not the same) underlying, operating systems. I am currently training in Aikido under Imaizumi Sensei, Shindoryu Bujutsu under Ushiro Sensei, and "IP" (for lack of better initials) with Dan Harden. Each of them complement and inform the other and result in my becoming better across the board in my budo/bujustsu abilities.

Marc Abrams
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Training in two arts doesn't necessarily mean that you train 6 days a week (although I train 7 days a week, and have for many years).
It doesn't necessarily...but for practical purposes, how often do you think a relative beginner to both arts would have to train in order for it to "take"? A lot of people cite three days a week as a good number to get steady progress, which is where I came up with six. I think the bigger stumbling block, though, is the "on an ongoing basis" part. This is why you see so many people drop out of dojos after a month or two: it was ok for a short period of time, but they just can't see themselves spending this many evenings, year in, year out, on this activity. And even if it's just two days a week per style, that's more evenings out of the home than most people are prepared to spend on an ongoing basis.

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Anyway, I'm not arguing the time restrictions, just the interference part. I think that it's a red herring, and mostly used to try and keep people from branching out.
Probably. Regardless of how it's used, however, I think it has some validity when you're talking about someone who's new to both styles (although I wouldn't call it "interference" exactly - not sure what word I would use).
Old 09-27-2012, 02:27 AM   #29
Andrew Macdonald

If you choice is between taking a striking art or doing extra classes in another dojo, i would take the striking art.

There is enough difference between striking arts and aikido that the chance of getting them mixed up or taking 'bad' habits from one to another is minimal. i have never accidentally kicked someone when practicing irimi nage. and other things will actually help you art learning how to punch is a good thing and many aikido dojo don't teach this well.

you are far more likely to create confusion but training under 2 sensei in the same art, there is a good chanc they will have difference emphisis and move in a different way but close enough to mess you up.

as for choosing between karate and TKD, have a look at the classes and see which you prefer, no if you don;t enjoy the class you won;t get anything out of it. if it is ITF TKD then the classes may be quite similar as the root of ITF TKD lies at least in part in shotokan. i also agree with Seiser Sensei that karate will have similar terms etc. so may be easier on your mind

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com