Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
RobertMu
Location: Baltimore-DC area, US
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
United_States
Offline
Hello from MD

Hi all. I've been considering taking Aikido and am here to learn a bit more about it. I've had some martial arts training in the past, and found I liked the locks and throws the best. I also like the more philosophical aspects of martial arts, so Aikido seems like it might be a fit. Anyway, hello all!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
mrlizard123
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
Location: Bristol
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 129
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Welcome aboard!

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 6,000
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Hi Robert,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Adam Huss
 
Adam Huss's Avatar
Location: Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 709
United_States
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Hi Robert,

There is a rather large aikido dojo near the harbor area in Baltimore. I think they are ASU affiliated. There are also a couple schools with good reputation in DC. I've been to one and can vouch for a robust class and well-thought out instruction.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
DCP
 
DCP's Avatar
Dojo: Inaka Dojo
Location: Land of Lincoln
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 135
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Robert- if you live in Baltimore and you want to study aikido, consider yourself very fortunate. Baltimore Aikido Club is headed by Charlie Page Sensei and Chuck Weber Sensei. I have no experience with Weber Sensei, but my Sensei speaks very highly of him, especially for his weapons work. Charlie Page Sensei, however, has done several seminars at my home dojo, and is one of my favorite aikido instructors.

Takeguchi Sensei is also brilliant (huge understatement, I know).

Again- if you want to do aikido in the Baltimore area, you are really fortunate!

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
RobertMu
Location: Baltimore-DC area, US
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
United_States
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Thanks all for the welcomes. I'm not sure what's been going on with my posting abilities. I've tried to reply a few times to this thread and the reply just never shows up! Anyway, I'm still figuring things out.

DCP - Baltimore Aikido is definitely on my list of places to check out. Thanks for the recommendation. Capital Aikikai is a little far from where I'll be, but they do have an affiliated school in Annapolis.

Below is a list of some other places that I think I'd like to check out. Suggestions or comments are very much welcome, either here or by PM if you prefer.

- http://baltimoreaikido.com/ (Charlie Paige, Chuck Weber)
- http://aikidodimension.com/?q=instructors (Joseph Sumalbag - Iwama)
- http://www.ellicottcityaikido.com/teachers.htm (Brian Kantsiper - Kokikai)
- http://www.aikidomaryland.com/ (Jesse Lee, Tenzan, lists Bruce Bookman as "Kaicho")
- http://www.aikimartialarts.com/ (John Goss, Korindo)
- http://aikido.balancedlifeskills.com/ (Christian Noll, with Capital Aikikai listed as the "Supervising Dojo")

Anyway, thanks again...feel free to make other suggestions if you know of any.

Last edited by RobertMu : 07-16-2012 at 09:35 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
rnrobles
Dojo: Southern Maryland Aikido Center
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
United_States
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Quote:
Robert Ulishney wrote: View Post
Thanks all for the welcomes. I'm not sure what's been going on with my posting abilities. I've tried to reply a few times to this thread and the reply just never shows up! Anyway, I'm still figuring things out.

DCP - Baltimore Aikido is definitely on my list of places to check out. Thanks for the recommendation. Capital Aikikai is a little far from where I'll be, but they do have an affiliated school in Annapolis.

Below is a list of some other places that I think I'd like to check out. Suggestions or comments are very much welcome, either here or by PM if you prefer.

- http://baltimoreaikido.com/ (Charlie Paige, Chuck Weber)
- http://aikidodimension.com/?q=instructors (Joseph Sumalbag - Iwama)
- http://www.ellicottcityaikido.com/teachers.htm (Brian Kantsiper - Kokikai)
- http://www.aikidomaryland.com/ (Jesse Lee, Tenzan, lists Bruce Bookman as "Kaicho")
- http://www.aikimartialarts.com/ (John Goss, Korindo)
- http://aikido.balancedlifeskills.com/ (Christian Noll, with Capital Aikikai listed as the "Supervising Dojo")

Anyway, thanks again...feel free to make other suggestions if you know of any.
I would like to recommend you look at Southern Maryland Aikido Center in Waldorf, MD
http://www.smdaikido.com
The sensei's there are Donna and Darrell Grant and the dojo is affiliated with US Aikido Federation
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
RobertMu
Location: Baltimore-DC area, US
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
United_States
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Quote:
Rey Robles wrote: View Post
I would like to recommend you look at Southern Maryland Aikido Center in Waldorf, MD
http://www.smdaikido.com
The sensei's there are Donna and Darrell Grant and the dojo is affiliated with US Aikido Federation
Thanks for the heads-up! It looks like a great dojo, but is probably a little too far for me to travel regularly (it would be 50-60 miles each way). Again, thanks for the input, though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,305
United_States
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Quote:
Robert Ulishney wrote: View Post
Thanks all for the welcomes. I'm not sure what's been going on with my posting abilities. I've tried to reply a few times to this thread and the reply just never shows up! Anyway, I'm still figuring things out.

DCP - Baltimore Aikido is definitely on my list of places to check out. Thanks for the recommendation. Capital Aikikai is a little far from where I'll be, but they do have an affiliated school in Annapolis.

Below is a list of some other places that I think I'd like to check out. Suggestions or comments are very much welcome, either here or by PM if you prefer.

- http://baltimoreaikido.com/ (Charlie Paige, Chuck Weber)
- http://aikidodimension.com/?q=instructors (Joseph Sumalbag - Iwama)
- http://www.ellicottcityaikido.com/teachers.htm (Brian Kantsiper - Kokikai)
- http://www.aikidomaryland.com/ (Jesse Lee, Tenzan, lists Bruce Bookman as "Kaicho")
- http://www.aikimartialarts.com/ (John Goss, Korindo)
- http://aikido.balancedlifeskills.com/ (Christian Noll, with Capital Aikikai listed as the "Supervising Dojo")

Anyway, thanks again...feel free to make other suggestions if you know of any.
I don't know any of the other guys, except by reputation, but I'll put in a vote for Chuck and Charlie - you won't go wrong.

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
RobertMu
Location: Baltimore-DC area, US
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
United_States
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Thanks again for the welcome!

PS: Chris, I've really been enjoying your blog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,305
United_States
Offline
Re: Hello from MD

Quote:
Robert Ulishney wrote: View Post
Thanks again for the welcome!

PS: Chris, I've really been enjoying your blog.
Thanks Robert!

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2018 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2018 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate