Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #26
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Free Solo Climbing

They could have been invented or applied by others...but they weren't. NASA provided the environment through government funding to allow those things to come to the market.

Same with Internet. Without DARPA, the internet would not have come about...or at least come about when it did.

It is a fact that government necessity...and War...have driven the train on many of the things we hold dear in our modern lives.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #27
genin
United_States

Al Gore invented th internetz, not Darpa.

dps, "Simpsons did it!"
Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #28
lbb
United_States

Arguments about what NASA did and didn't do are beside the point. The contention that actions can have results beyond their obvious, tangible benefits is incontestable and is proven by Phi's example of being inspired. QED.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Arguments about what NASA did and didn't do are beside the point. The contention that actions can have results beyond their obvious, tangible benefits is incontestable and is proven by Phi's example of being inspired. QED.
Absolutely. Inspiration is a wonderful fuel source, and is a central part of why I posted this thread. I doubt I would ever attempt to climb hundreds of feet without a rope, but the feat is demonstrative of at least part of the range of human potential. It can seem wreckless, and arguably is, but there was still considerable planning and training leading up to that point, showing the power of deliberate and disciplined actions.
As it relates to the value of NASA (and the Shuttle program), they endeavor (pun intended) to perform risky tasks to yield all manner of lessons. Arguably (I would disagree, but NASA in no small part created my love of science, so I'm biased), it's wasted large amounts of resources for little gain in some areas, but the point wasn't to make a profit so much as to advance our familiarity with a very inaccessible region of our knowledge. We can simulate a lot on Earth, but actually going out and doing it provides a kind of litmus test that I believe carries considerable value.
On a sadder note, I just realized I told Phi something he already knew when I mentioned what the LHC is in another thread. But seriously, left-hand corn is delicious.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
genin
United_States

A good quote from Star Trek VI:

"...just because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily mean we must do that thing."

21st century humans are only just now realizing this, but I fear it won't be until the next couple centuries before they put that philosophy into action. I guess that's ironic, considering it's a philosophy of INACTION, essentially.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #31
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Roger Flatley wrote: View Post

"...just because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily mean we must do that thing."

21st century humans are only just now realizing this, but I fear it won't be until the next couple centuries before they put that philosophy into action. I guess that's ironic, considering it's a philosophy of INACTION, essentially.
I agree, but it's a fine line. Sometimes you have to push the envelope and sometimes you shouldn't. It's rarely clear as to which one is the best option.
These days, in the light of things like profound inequity, I tend to agree it would be better to work on problems which help those in serious need (e.g. solve the problem of clean water before solving the problem of building a better iPhone). While it's "awesome" to see people hiking or climbing to push themselves, wouldn't it be better if they were farming to feed underfed children? Or instead of chatting online, wouldn't it be better to be helping inner city youths? Just because we can sit in front of a computer screen doesn't mean we should...well I should, but I'm the exception that proves the rule.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #32
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
But seriously, left-hand corn is delicious.
especially when you impacted with high energy and made it pop, then pour on some very highly flavor substance from bovine. go great with some highly entertainment visualization.

Last edited by akiy : 07-26-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #33
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Roger Flatley wrote: View Post

there are things that we need to do even when we don't realize we need it yet.

then there were some crazy sailor decided to take some ships across the ocean when folks told him that he would fall off the world or lost, but he went ahead and took his santa maria for a tour anyway.

then there was this old guy came up with some crazy idea about peaceful martial arts which was just crazy talk.

then there was this dude who talked about relative stuffs which everyone knew that one should not lend money to them.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #34
genin
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
there are things that we need to do even when we don't realize we need it yet.

then there were some crazy sailor decided to take some ships across the ocean when folks told him that he would fall off the world or lost, but he went ahead and took his santa maria for a tour anyway.

then there was this old guy came up with some crazy idea about peaceful martial arts which was just crazy talk.

then there was this dude who talked about relative stuffs which everyone knew that one should not lend money to them.
Agreed. That's also why that Star Trek quote uses the most ambiguous term possible to describe what we should and should not be doing--"thing". It leaves it wide open to interpretation.

And that Einstein bloke did pave the way for the A-bomb and all the folks that subsequently died from it's use. But then of course many others may have been saved in the end. It's all open to speculation and interpretation...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!