Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands
Nice instruction video: Morito Suganuma sensei

I don't know anything about Morito Suganuma (8th dan), but I really like his instruction in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZZNd...ture=endscreen

I think I'll review it every now and then, when I feel the need to recieve instruction at home.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Nice instruction video

Do you know why does Suganuma steps back every time he completes a technique? Is that an Aikikai "thing?"

Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
Do you know why does Suganuma steps back every time he completes a technique? Is that an Aikikai "thing?"
I don't know, I didn't even notice that (I'm just a 4th kyu).

I don't think there really are "Aikikai things". There are so many different lineages within aikikai, which can differ just as much as different aikido styles differ.

Perhaps there exist such things as "Aikikai Hombu Dojo things", I don't know. Although our organisation is under aikikai, we are not affiliated with a shihan that teaches at the Hombu Dojo. And I don't know if Suganuma is from the Hombu Dojo.

Last edited by Dave de Vos : 06-08-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
sorokod
United Kingdom

I retract my Aikikai thing comment (if that is possible). Still, in martial arts things must be done for a reason or not done at all. I am wondering what the reason for stepping back is.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

The aikikai lineage shihan of our organisation is Shimamoto Katsuyuki 8th dan.
We also have a Hombu Dojo teacher visiting every year, Kobayashi Yukimitsu 7th dan, but he's more like a guest instructor.

I do think that Suganuma's instruction feels a bit more similar to Kobayashi's than to Shimamoto's, but I can't tell you why exactly. Perhaps it's more a matter of attitude than form. Also, my perception of form is not yet as sharp as yours.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

Quote:
I retract my Aikikai thing comment (if that is possible). Still, in martial arts things must be done for a reason or not done at all. I am wondering what the reason for stepping back is.
Oh, no need at all for that. I wasn't offended in any way by the aikikai thing comment (though I can imagine my quoting giving that impression).

I can't comment on the stepping back, but I'll watch the video again to see what you mean.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
sorokod
United Kingdom

Just looked at the first youtube hit for "Aikido doshu" which was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoAzxH-7DYw

He is doing exactly the same.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
To me it looks like a "creating space for the next technique" thing. Maybe even stepping back to switch sides, though thats hard to tell in the video. The aikikai is such a large and varied organization I would think you would be hard pressed to find any movement that everyone does the exact same way.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Quote:
Well.. aikido is best displayed when there is a distance between uke and nage so that nage can gain momentum for the attack, and I believe they want to stay within the camera angle, so my guess is he is getting into a good position to receive the next attack.

In beginner training walking backwards is not encouraged (at least not in my dojo). In a situation with more flow you take the steps necessary to stand in the best possible position taking all attackers (and cameras) into consideration..

At least that's how I would interpret it.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
To me it looks like a "creating space for the next technique" thing. Maybe even stepping back to switch sides, though thats hard to tell in the video.
I agree. It's because demonstration techniques look better when uke is able to "wind up" a bit. He is just giving his uke room to do that so that the techniques look prettier.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

After watching the video again and reading the later comments I think I understand what David means by stepping back. I also think Suganuma is simply repositioning himself for the class and the camera.

The video seems to be more about instruction than demonstration, so I suppose Suganuma is more concerned with not blocking the view than being pretty, though.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada
Re: Nice instruction video: Morito Suganuma sensei

If you go to Fukuoka this is what you will see.....a very crowded dojo and Suganuma Sensei going around to teach everyone, being very patient, mostly working with kyu ranks, taking ukemi etc. He is definitely one of the most giving teachers (of Japanese lineage) that I've come across. Always makes sure there is time for Q&A during seminars. He travels the world to do seminars and is coming to Vancouver at the end of October this year to visit. Touching him is like grabbing iron through spongy flesh...I always find his positioning to be near perfect and it never any problem taking ukemi for him. He has great concern for uke's welfare so you can attack full on and know you're not going to get broken.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

Quote:
Russ Qureshi wrote: View Post
If you go to Fukuoka this is what you will see.....a very crowded dojo and Suganuma Sensei going around to teach everyone, being very patient, mostly working with kyu ranks, taking ukemi etc. He is definitely one of the most giving teachers (of Japanese lineage) that I've come across. Always makes sure there is time for Q&A during seminars. He travels the world to do seminars and is coming to Vancouver at the end of October this year to visit. Touching him is like grabbing iron through spongy flesh...I always find his positioning to be near perfect and it never any problem taking ukemi for him. He has great concern for uke's welfare so you can attack full on and know you're not going to get broken.
When I looked up his name I found that next month he will give a seminar in the Netherlands. Actually I was already considering going there, but I didn't know the teacher of that seminar. Just a couple of hours ago I found they are one and the same person.

Now I definitely want to go to that seminar!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Just looked at the first youtube hit for "Aikido doshu" which was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoAzxH-7DYw He is doing exactly the same.
Aikido aikikai shihan: Endo Seishiro, All Japan Aikido Demonstration this year. Different?

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 06-09-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
sorokod
United Kingdom

Yes, different.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada

Quote:
When I looked up his name I found that next month he will give a seminar in the Netherlands. Actually I was already considering going there, but I didn't know the teacher of that seminar. Just a couple of hours ago I found they are one and the same person.

Now I definitely want to go to that seminar!
Go. You won't be disappointed.

cheers,

Russ