Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Columns

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Comment

Column Tools
It Had To Be Felt #17: Chida  Tsutomu: You Never Felt his Hands
It Had To Be Felt #17: Chida Tsutomu: You Never Felt his Hands
by Robert Mustard
05-18-2012
It Had To Be Felt #17: Chida Tsutomu: You Never Felt his Hands

In 1989, my primary teacher, Takeno Takafumi sensei left the honbu dojo to form his own Yoshinkan group in his hometown of Yamanashi. Shortly thereafter the headquarters moved to Shinjuku. It was there where I had the luck and opportunity to learn from Chida Tsutomu sensei.

Chida sensei was the head teacher at the Shinjuku branch dojo. I remember my friend Alister and I talking about going to Shinjuku to train with him after our course with the Tokyo Riot Police was finished (that is another story!!). After our graduation party, we were at another bar and Al and I asked Chida sensei if we could visit and train with him. He said yes.

Practice at the Shinjuku dojo was only one hour. For a full thirty minutes in our first class, Chida sensei just splattered me with shihonage and sent me exhausted and red faced to change with Al. Chida sensei was sweating a little, but I think it was from the heat in the dojo and not my devastating technique. Al and I were both spent and thought, "Holy smokes. Should we do that again?" We did many times.

I never got to take ukemi for Chida sensei in a demonstration in Japan as he was always on before Takeno sensei in the order of performing. However, I took his ukemi many many times at the Honbu. I also learnt a lot while translating for him when he was teaching the people in the foreign instructors course. If Takeno sensei was an iron whip, Chida sensei was a big heavy, heavy, heavy iron club. His technique felt like your whole body was being crushed. Just like Takeno sensei, there was no pain after the technique, but during it, he felt so strong!

I always thought Takeno sensei and Chida sensei were very different until my Japanese got better. I then realized that they both said the same thing, but did it differently because of their different personalities and body type. Takeno sensei was fast and dynamic, whereas Chida sensei looked like he was asleep during his demonstrations. You only knew how good he was if you were watching with a high level of understanding or took his ukemi. I took ukemi for him in demonstrations during clinics in Toronto, and I can tell you in no uncertain terms was he asleep ! He did smile a bit before he almost knocked my head off with a palm thrust to my chin.

The incredible thing about Chida sensei was that even though he was so heavy, you never felt his hands. For example in nikkyo, he would grab your hand, and you wouldn't feel anything until your knees hit the mats. It was the same for all his throws: they were very heavy, but you still didn't feel him. Simply amazing!

Kancho passed away in 1994, but Takeno sensei and Chida sensei are still amazing and still teaching. If you ever get a chance to be on the mat with them I would encourage you to go no matter what your style and/or affiliation.

To be sure, "it had to be felt," but I hope I've conveyed my great fortune to have experienced the finest Yoshinkan teachers on the planet. I consider it a great honor and am doing my best to show my gratitude by my actions in my own dojo.

For those inclined to post, please re-read the introductory column before doing so. The rules for contributors, in short:
  • Only people who have actually taken ukemi the teacher who is the subject of this thread, may post
  • Simply post your direct experience of taking ukemi. This can include the nature of your relationship with them, as ukemi is more than merely taking falls.
  • Do not engage in back-and-forth with other posters, disputing their experience, or trying to prove why yours is more real. Just post your own experience. Trust your readers to take in each writer's account on its own merits.
  • If, for any reason, you find something to praise or condemn in anyone's description or wish to amplify your insights and perceptions, do so elsewhere. Start a thread about that subject in the appropriate section of Aikiweb.
Robert Mustard (7th Dan): For close to 10 years he trained as a student of Soke Gozo Shioda, founder of Yoshinkan Aikido, Takafumi Takeno Sensei, 9th Dan; and Tsutomu Chida Sensei, 8th Dan. In 1991 he was appointed Itaku Shidoin by Shioda Kancho and remained the Chief Foreign Instructor at the Yoshinkan Honbu Dojo until he moved back to Canada in 1995. He began his Yoshinkan Aikido training under Takeshi Kimeda Sensei (9th Dan) over 30 years ago. After achieving the level of sandan (3rd degree black belt), he left Toronto to continue his study at the Yoshinkan Aikido Honbu Dojo (headquarters) in Tokyo. In 1987, he completed the intense 9-month "Senshusei" training course which is mandatory training for the Tokyo Riot Police and Honbu Dojo instructors. As a direct result of his determination and focus in this grueling training, he was among the first foreigners ever to receive the award for best performance at the annual All-Japan Yoshinkan Demonstration. Today when he isn't conducting clinics at aikido dojos all over the world, or taking Uke and translating for the most senior Yoshinkan instructors in the world, like Shioda Kancho, Chida Sensei, Takeno Sensei and Nakano Sensei, he is instructing classes in his own dojo located in Burnaby, B.C. Canada. This is where he now lives with his wife Carol and daughter Emily.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf rmustard_2012_05 (17).pdf (136.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: It Had To Be Felt #17: Chida Tsutomu: You Never Felt his Hands

Thank you Sensei for sharing this. I was fortunate to take ukemi for Chida Sensei multiple times in 2000 when he visited Southern California. I can say without doubt that I completely understand what you said about him being asleep.

Two techniques I remember and still discuss with my own students were shihonage and shomen iriminage. People said, "you took good ukemi". I said, "know I didn't. I didn't take ukemi. It was given to me." Great memories!

OSU!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Re: It Had To Be Felt #17: Chida Tsutomu: You Never Felt his Hands

Hi Rob Sensei,

I met Chida Sensei in 2006 in Poland... I remember him teaching Nikajo and can get an idea of what you are saying. He didn't position the angle of the forearm, which is what I was doing, but instead applied it at 90 degrees to the angle of the forearm. If you lifted your elbow he went to that hip and if you dropped your elbow he went to the opposite elbow. It was full on and I, of course, asked as often as I could to feel the techniques from Chida Sensei.

I then stayed for the following week to train again with Terada Hanshi, who was wonderful and despite his age would straighten as he stepped on the mat. His techniques looked quite different and he had a soft and hard side to them. The Shihonage he showed looked like he was throwing you with his head, making it heavy. My fondest memory is of sitting in the hotel, just the two of us passing notes back and forth to communicate, as he couldn't remember how to speak English, but he could write it. Sadly that was the last time I was to see him, but had the honour of doing an Embu for him.

I have trained under Thamby Rajah Sensei a few time and I have a photo of him throwing me this Shihonage - the hardest Shihonage I have ever felt and it shocked the hell out of me.

Now, this month, I have had the honour of training with Takeno Sensei. So dynamic and his techniques are like a shock. He did Kote Gaeshi on me but on my closed fist. One moment I was upright and the next I was literally upside-down with my feet when my head had been... There didn't seem to be anything in between, I was just suddenly there!!!

Best wishes as always,

Si

Osu!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
GShorr
Dojo: Yoshinkan Aikido Israel
Israel
Hava Nagila

The top Sensei at the Yoshinkan Hombu Dojo kept personal Uke for their demonstrations. They would elect their Uke from the enthusiastic young instructors at the Dojo. It was the most honorable task at the school - the path to excellence some suggested, the only way to truly grasp the fine details of the art.

Being a Super-Uke meant everything!

Naturally, when I became part of the Hombu Dojo staff, I also aspired to become one of those Uke. I did my best to prove my competence, spending entire days at the Dojo, dedicatedly serving the instructors on breaks between the classes, and when training resumed, always ready to jump up and take their Uke.

But becoming a personal Uke for the high ranked Sensei meant proving my skills during demonstrations as well.

"You'll start at the bottom," explained Roland Sensei, an Australian hard-man who had one year seniority over me. "You'll take Uke for the junior instructors, prove yourself and move up the ranks."

"And how do you start at all? Do you put your name up on some notice board? Does it work like an auction?"

"All you have to do is wait," Roland chuckled. "When the time comes you'll be approached by one of the instructors."

His words came true a few weeks later when a junior Sensei approached and asked me to be his Uke. I accepted joyously and did my best to please him in preparation for and during the demonstration. My actions proved fruitful and from demonstration to demonstration I indeed moved up the ranks.

It was only when I reached the very top that I realized the main obstacle in my plan -- that there were no vacancies for the desired job. I had to wait for my time to come -- had to exercise the hardest lesson of all for a young man -- the lesson of patience.

In 1992 my chance finally materialized when Mark Baker, Chida Sensei's personal Uke, decided to depart from the Yoshinkan Hombu Dojo and move to Africa. A couple of days later, in the morning break between classes, I was training on my own in front of the mirror when Chida Sensei entered the hall.

He came close, bowed and with a gesture of his arm motioned me to attack him with a Shomen Uchi -- front strike with the arm. I attacked and he threw me a few times, nothing fancy, just playing with the timing and studying my reactions to his moves. He then gestured for other attacks, threw me some more, bowed and left the room.

I remained standing and glaring at my reflection in the wide mirror. At first I didn't make much out of it. It wasn't the first time that I had seen him stepping onto the mats and trying his inspiring ideas on whoever he could find at the Dojo. It also wasn't the first time that he had thrown me around.

During my days in the Yoshinkan Senshusei Course, (Riot Police Course), my partner had fallen sick and as a result, the instructors took turns as his replacement. Usually it would be a junior instructor but there were occasions where I trained with the high ranked Sensei as well.

One of them was Chida Sensei.

It happened on the day we started practicing Jiu- Waza, (Free-Techniques). Chida Sensei, who taught the class, demonstrated the techniques to the students, then came over and performed on me. He threw me gently, aware of my lack of skill and allowed me to control the falls. He even took part as my Uke and helped me line up my attacks.

It is of no surprise, therefore, that when Chida Sensei left the Dojo I resumed my training in front of the mirror. I had quite forgotten about the whole thing until lunchtime, when Roland burst into the kitchen with a wide grin pasted on his face.

"Congratulations," he said and I frowned in return.

"What for?" I mumbled.

"For what I've just overheard in the office. It looks like Chida Sensei elected you as his new Uke."

The full magnitude of the situation dawned on me as the day progressed. I continued to train and perform my duties around the Dojo but felt light headed, slow and sluggish in my moves, as if completely disoriented in the familiar place.

"You must be extremely excited," Ronald observed when I refused to eat the Bento, the packed-lunch I had ordered as a treat for the special occasion. It was my favorite dish - barbequed eel on a bed of hijiki rice.

"Very excited," I nodded and handed the meal to one of the hungry students from the Senshusei Course. Being excited was an understatement. I was thrown out of focus. I was nervous as hell.

The unsettling sensations took me by surprise. I expected happiness at my good fortune, expected joy at the honor of being Uke for one of the most celebrated Aikidoka in the world.

But that very reason, I soon I realized, was actually the cause for the mountains of worries that over shadowed my pinnacle of joy.

Being Chida's Uke meant first and foremost responsibility, the ability to represent Yoshinkan Aikido in the most honorable and spectacular fashion. It meant performing to the highest standards and doing so in front of a multitude of spectators, it meant rubbing shoulders with the crème de la crème of society at formal and highly renowned events.

What made matters worse was the fact that Chida Sensei is a conservative person who likes everything being strictly Japanese. He only communicated in Japanese despite his knowledge of the English language and expected his Uke to follow Japanese etiquette.

"This is a recipe for disaster," I thought miserably. I had never been cut out for respectable conduct in any society, not to mention the fact that my Japanese had hardly improved since the day I arrived in the country.

In my distress I contacted Mark Baker and asked for some tips. He had many pieces of advice to share.

"When Chida Sensei attends demonstrations and clinics it's not just about Aikido training and techniques," Mark said. "What he does is perform a formal duty, almost like a politician, and it's your responsibility to make sure he enjoys full comfort when he does that. You must be attentive to his needs, carry his bag, stand by him when he talks in case he asks for anything and at meals, supervise that he is served first and that his cup of drink is always full. At demonstrations you must prepare his slippers when he steps on and off the mat, and once the performance is over, you must fold his dogi and Hakama. Oh, and don't forget, he's got a unique system to tie the ribbon of his Hakama. I showed it to you in the past -- don't you remember?"

I broke into a sweat when Mark finished the long list.

"Man," I moaned. "Sounds like a real pain."

"It's not easy," he agreed. "I used to start panting during demonstrations just from all the stress of the formalities. It's worth it, though."

"I surely hope so."

"It is, I promise you. I know you have taken his Uke a few times before and that you even had the pleasure to train with him a whole evening class, but this is different. To be his personal Uke is the ultimate achievement. In comparison, your past experiences will feel dull, almost like scratching the surface. Now stop worrying, good luck."

"Will give it my best effort," I said and with that, the conversation was over.

Chida Sensei never openly declared my new position. The only real confirmation came when he approached me one morning and asked if I would like to join him on a teaching trip to Gifu. I agreed and he said we would leave on Friday after the two o'clock class.

Friday came, and as agreed, I waited for him by the office when the class was over. He came out of the teachers' changing room a few minutes later. He was dressed in a dark-blue suit, had his glasses on and was holding a sports bag. He took one look at me and a smile formed on his face.

"You look red," he said. "Are you hot?"

He suggested I should take off my jacket and loosen up the tie that choked my neck.

"It's OK," I said although there was nothing more I would wish for at that moment. I never felt comfortable in a suit.

Chida Sensei produced a small map from his pocket and showed me where we were going. I looked, listened, but in my mind I was running through Mark's to-do list: slippers, filling cups with drinks and plates with food, folding dogi - the Hakama with a special knot to the ribbons. And carrying bag, oh no, how could I forget the bag?

I launched forward to grab his bag but he pulled it back, holding it tightly to his chest.

"I've got it," he said.

We went out of the Dojo and walked to the train station. I strolled beside him, my eyes sneaking peeks at his bag, wondering what had gone wrong, why wouldn't he let me carry it?

At the train station I saw an opportunity to redeem myself and I jumped straight for the ticket machines while pulling out my wallet.

"I don't need a ticket," Chida Sensei said and showed me his monthly pass. "And I'm buying your ticket," he added disarmingly.

I had to step aside and observe him taking his place in the queue. I felt hot and frustrated, disturbed by his unwillingness to allow me to fulfil my formal duties. We reached the platform and I took a final attempt at his bag. Again he pulled it to his chest but this time he added an explanation.

"You're not very good with Japanese customs," he said bluntly. "I saw you try many times but it's not you. So don't bother. Be natural. Be yourself. Understand?"

He spoke mainly in English to make sure I understood. I gaped at him for a moment then hesitantly opened my mouth.

"I don't understand."

"Exactly," he sighed and began to elaborate, saying I should basically stay away from his bag and slippers, that I shouldn't fold his Dogi and never make tea.

"Hakama?" I dared raise the suggestion.

"Don't touch my Hakama!" he warned with a stern expression.

"Ok."

I lowered my head, feeling sorry for myself. He tapped me on the shoulder.

"Relax," he smiled. "Be yourself."

The train arrived and we stepped in. We had a long trip ahead of us, two hours travel and two trains to change. We found seats and I sat quietly, my cheeks burning with shame from the fact he knew how terrible I was, that I was exposed.

I watched him take his jacket and tie off and it suddenly occurred to me that he must have known all about my formal disabilities even before he decided to make me his Uke. The thought immediately elevated my mood.

"Relax," I whispered to myself. "If he wants me to be natural then that's exactly what I must do."

He smiled and nodded his approval as I took off my jacket and tie. He then leaned back into his seat, closed his eyes and fell asleep.

The Headmaster of the Yoshinkan Aikido branch in Gifu waited for us at the station. He had two Uchi Deshi accompanying him. They bowed deeply and the Headmaster exchanged a few words with Chida Sensei. Then they took our bags and led us to their vehicles. We drove to a fancy hotel and they escorted us each to his luxurious room. They left us to get organized and went to wait downstairs. They treated us with the outmost respect, as if we were royalty, as if Chida Sensei was a king and I, the crown prince.

When we were ready we drove to the sports hall that they had hired for the event. I managed to get a quick glance inside as we were ushered to the changing room. The hall was packed with students and spectators.

As I was commanded, I kept away from Chida Sensei and his belongings. One of the Gifu Uchi Deshi was by his side to serve him. Five minutes later the other Uchi Deshi popped his head in. It was time to step onto the mats. I followed Chida Sensei to the hall, my heart thumping in my chest, panting as if I had just run a marathon. The magnitude of the situation suddenly hit me. Chida Sensei stopped and looked at me.

"A good Uke knows how to relax," he whispered and I nodded while grinding my teeth. He sighed and moved on. We got to the mats and Chida Sensei took off his slippers, the Uchi-Deshi kneeling beside him and rearranging them. We walked to the middle of the mats, bowed to the tiny shrine on the wall and to the students. Chida Sensei motioned me to sit in Seiza while he addressed the crowd.

While he spoke I sat tense on my knees, my eyes focused on his face, ready to take his Uke. He stopped talking and ordered me to stand up, whispering the attack and demonstrating a technique which he broke into sections.

My heart was racing in my chest all through the move, respiration strained, my vision blurry. I felt senseless and twice almost made mistakes. I exhaled in relief when the demonstration was over and the students began to practice.

All through the class I took his Uke but never managed to fully engage in the performance, the need to satisfy the crowd putting unexpected stain on my mind and muscles. At the end of the lesson the main demonstration took place.

Chida Sensei started by throwing me gently, no more than five times, but I was already exhausted. He stopped and bowed, right before I was about to collapse, and gestured with his arm to the mats. I dropped to one knee but kept the tension in my body, alert and waiting for the next sequence of attacks. He rolled his eyes and lectured for a couple of minutes then performed a few more moves.

He continued to operate in the same manner for the next fifteen minutes, a quarter of an hour that felt like years. In fact, I was so tired near the end that he ordered me to sit aside while he used one of the Gifu Uchi-Deshi for his final moves. When the demonstration was over I had to muster all my self control to walk rather than crawl behind him as we left the mats. In the dressing room I collapsed onto a wooden bench. I felt defeated, a failure by all accounts. He glanced at me and shook his head. He came to stand beside me.

"I told you to relax," he said.

"I'm sorry. I was very nervous."

"I know. That's why I gave you the opportunity to catch your breath between throws. I don't speak that much normally, you know."

"I'm sorry."

"Never mind, next time. Now get up, have a shower, get dressed and prepare yourself."

"Prepare for what?" I asked hesitantly. He studied me for a tense second and then a smile spread across his face.

"For a few good drinks. What else?"

The Gifu trip marks the worst demonstration that I ever had with Chida Sensei but it also celebrates my most significant lesson in being an Uke. In Gifu I was taught the ground-rules for the first time, my responsibilities as an Uke clearly defined. And I learned that being natural and relaxed is the only state of mind for superb performance and the best way to evolve as an Uke. No less important, in Gifu I learned that Chida Sensei liked to party and that when he drank, he would blare out secrets and in perfect English as well.

I could write for hours about all the other demonstrations I had with Chida Sensei, analyse his surgically precise techniques and openly glorify the sheer power behind his every throw and pin. But what I believe made Chida Sensei so special was not the technique but the air of trust he created around him, an atmosphere which brought the best out in me.

There were others who threw me just as hard as Chida Sensei, maybe even harder, but none that I held so willingly, none that I so joyously wished they would exercise all the power they possessed. I was never injured by him and after Gifu, never out of breath. I trusted him to throw me as he willed and under all circumstances, fully engaged even during occasions in which his behaviour would be best described as naughty as hell.

That was another vital lesson that I learned in Gifu.

It happened at the end of the party that the Gifu crowd threw after the demonstration. The party took place in a wide sports hall that was modestly decorated with aikido banners and pictures, tables loaded with food and drinks spread around the floor, a platform at the far end of the hall serving as a makeshift karaoke stage.

Most attendants were heavily intoxicated at this point in the evening, some standing in small groups and chatting loudly, others laughing heartily while watching the brave amateur performers who dared climb up to the platform and sing from the top of their lungs. There was no music or lyrics to accommodate their act. It was raw karaoke, a stage, a microphone and that's all!

Since I'm not a big drinker I was fairly focused and stable compared to the rest. I kept to myself, silently standing by the wall while firmly holding a half full beer bottle. It was the only tool to fend away those who walked around the hall with fresh bottles - the only way to combat the Japanese custom of drowning guests with alcohol.

"Gadi," I heard Chida Sensei's voice and saw him waving at me. He was standing a few feet away from the stage with the Gifu Head Instructor and a few other respectable looking men.

"Gadi!" he called again, smiling mysteriously, his face bright and red. I detached myself from the wall and walked toward him.

"Yes, Sensei?"

"We would like you to sing for us," he declared and I stopped dead in my tracks.

"I don't think so."

"Come on, everyone here is dying to learn something about your culture."

"You can ask anything you want."

"What we want is to hear you sing."

"Yes, please sing," intervened the Gifu Head Instructor.

"But I'm not much of a singer."

"We don't care."

"Sing," prodded another member of the gang.

"Sing," interjected another and then everyone chanted together:

"Sing! Sing! Sing!"

"No way."

Chida Sensei exhaled loudly and came to my side.

"Be polite," he whispered with a serious expression. "Don't insult their hospitality. Be respectable - they're really interested to know about you and your culture."

"If you put it that way."

"Come on, don't look so miserable, you'll be OK. Just go up and sing a little. They're looking at us. Come on, hurry, don't embarrass me."

He kept pressing the point of honour until I felt I had no other choice but to comply. The group cheered as I climbed up on the stage. I moved slowly, like a condemned prisoner walking towards his execution.

"Sing! Sing! Sing!"

I got to the top and looked down at the hall that suddenly went dead quiet, all eyes pinned on me. I felt the blood draining from my face and I stood glaring back at them, my mind empty of words, songs and music.

"Sing! Sing! Sing!"

The stressful situation kept my mind blank for a while longer and then, out of the darkness of my subconscious, an old familiar Hebrew tune emerged. A song that I hated with all my heart, that I refuse to sing, that I would never sing - oh what the hell...

To the cheers of the crowd I opened my mouth and began to sing.

"Hava Nagila Hava," I whispered into the microphone, gaining courage with the first few words and slowly increasing the volume. Chida Sensei nodded his approval and I relaxed further, forgetting the embarrassment and getting into the music, my voice bouncing from the walls.

Then I heard the laughter and looked down at Chida Sensei who stood in the middle of the group. His finger was pointing at me, a bemused expression on his face.

"Wakaranai, (I don't understand)," he kept repeating as I sang, and each time he did, the whole gang would burst out laughing. My face turned burning red, my voice fluttered but I kept singing until the bitter end.

When the song was over I climbed down, hurried to one of the tables, picked up a beer bottle and swallowed its contents with one long gulp. Chida Sensei came over to me.

"Good show," he said and tapped me on the shoulder. "What was the name of that song?"

"Hava Nagila," I growled but he didn't seem to notice my distress.

"Haba Nagiba?" he tried to repeat and together with his gang burst out laughing again.

Comment