Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-29-2002, 11:02 PM   #1
Ben_t_shodan
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Michigan, Seiwa Dojo
What dose Aikido Mean to you?

What dose Aikido mean to you? Is it only a Physical form of "self defence"? or is it more?
Old 06-30-2002, 03:31 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: What dose Aikido Mean to you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben_t_shodan What dose Aikido mean to you? Is it only a Physical form of "self defence"? or is it more?
It is a form of self defense (though I have trained in others forms that certainly were a lot easier to become proficient in)AND it is more. Aikido can be whatever you want to use it for. Besides being a martial art, its great physical exercise art, its social, its philosophical, psychological, and spiritual.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-01-2002, 09:45 AM   #3
akiy

A couple of past polls which relate to your question, Ben:

"Is self defense your primary reason for studying aikido?"

http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=5

"Primarily, what kind of practice is aikido for you?"

http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=35

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-01-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
shihonage
United_States
Sometimes it's small dose, sometimes it's medium dose
Old 07-01-2002, 12:00 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by akiy

"Is self defense your primary reason for studying aikido?"

"Primarily, what kind of practice is aikido for you?"
Self defense is not my primary reason for studying Aikido. For that I have a 12 gauge pump shot gun with pistol gribs and various knives. (No, I am not kidding.)

What kind of practice is Aikido to me? Physically its 3 times a week, lots of sweat, and my best efforts. Its everyday in my head and life. It is physical, mental, psychological, philosophical, social, and spiritual. Most importantly to me, its fun.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-01-2002, 02:41 PM   #6
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: What dose Aikido Mean to you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben_t_shodan
What dose Aikido mean to you?
I started out wanting the subtle fighting "magic" promised by Tohei Koichi when I read his books in high school. Now however, the martial aspect is just the touchstone of the practice for me. I find myself continuing to practice more for the meditative aspects; the hypnotic effect of reps, connection (and its "trajectory" beyond KATATE TORI, e.g., to such things as seizing initiative upon UKE's attack), staying calm under pressure, concentration.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 07-01-2002, 03:50 PM   #7
Tony-kun
Dojo: At the time, none =(
To me Aikido is not a self defense at all, or a martial arts style either. It basicly means what it says. A way of peace and/or harmony with ki. It could be translated in different ways. But the way I see it is more like a state of mind, a lifestyle, a way of doing all kinds of things. By doing things with a clear mind and respect everyone the same as they respect you, being pacifistic but still assertive. Independance, peace, harmony. It can be used for self defense if there's no choice but smart Aikido I say would be to stay out of any kind of trouble. But people have different views on this, I know alot of people don't see it that way(Such as Steven Seagal).

O'Sensei knows what Aikido is, he invented it. But people tend to go their own way with it, that's what happened.
Old 07-01-2002, 03:59 PM   #8
akiy

For me, self defense is not my ultimate goal in aikido; rather, I'm using it as a way to become more aware of myself in various aspects.

However, the awareness process comes through my physical training in trying to make my aikido more physically and martially effective. I believe that the spiritual stuff comes as a byproduct of the physical training. For me, at least, what I do on the mat is aikido; what I do off the mat is not (as long as I'm not getting attacked and all).

As the founder said, "aikido is a budo"...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!