Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Jani
Dojo: Mudgeeraba
Australia
Smile Aikido, Horsemanship and other Metaphors

I am a very recent aikido learner. But I already love the metaphoric applications, even though these aren't necessarily spoken of in training time. But in conversations off the mats, the other students (not even sure of the correct terminology) with the hakamas are very interesting to chat to.I am a horse-person and yoanini (if that is even the correct terminology - I hang out with horses, I do yoga wherever and whenever I can LOL) among other things, and the similarities are beautiful for me to notice. I have already intuitively used energy with horses, but to learn the use of energy in a more formal and methodical sense suits me to the ground and back.
So for me the metaphorical applications is what my learning is about (so far). Not so much the self-defense. As I have often said to the other students (what are we called?) "I am a 53 year old woman and have never punched or thrust a sword or broom handle (LOL - yes I know its a JO - not sure if that's how to spell though) at a single living soul in my life", so I'm not really learning because I anticipate taking on a room full of men running at me - although hey, never say never.....!!!

But I am enjoying it (not the bruised wrists though ) Boys be gentle, I'm a girl and made of softer stuff....that's what I've taught my sons and grandson anyway

So here I am on my very first forum ( actually no, I have contributed to a horsey forum).
Cheers Jani
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Aikido, Horsemanship and other Metaphors

Welcome! Linda Eskins will find you for sure! She loves horses!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
akiy

Hi Janice,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Victoria Family Aikido
Canada

Have you seen the documentary "Buck"? It's about Buck Brannaman, the guy who inspired the movie "The Horse Whisperer".

When you watch him standing on the ground and interacting with the horses, when you hear him talk about his connection with the horse and how he leads the horse, it is exactly like aikido. You could almost substitute the word "horse" for "uke" and stick a person in there and it WOULD be aikido.

He does a demo with a person where they each hold an end of a towel. If there is slack in the towel and he pulls it, the other person tenses up and pulls back. If there is no slack and he pulls, the other person follows naturally. He goes on to talk about feeling the "connection" through the reigns of the horse.

He talks extensively about the non-confrontational model between him and the horse.

I kid you not, it's really spooky, and really made me think again about how the non-physical aspects of aikido are operating. You should watch it.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Jani
Australia

Thankyou for your welcome and suggestions. I have heard of him and will source him out again
Cheers
Old 02-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Hello. I am also a horsewoman who loves to find the similarities between riding and Aikido. Linda and I found Aikido through the same means, by reading horse trainer Mark Raqshid's books. If yo uhave not found him yet look for his latest book. Nature in horsemanship-discovering harmony through principles of aikido.

I have written a couple of my own articles on the relationship bewteen the two one of which was featured in Linda's blog www.grabmywrist.com.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

If you're any sort of serious horsewoman at all, we already know that "girls are made of softer stuff" business is bunkum.

And there are lots of other parallels... the connection between your hands and the horse's mouth like the connection between you and uke... using your center to move the horse through your seat... learning not to use muscle because the brute outweighs you 10 to 1...
Old 03-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
If you're any sort of serious horsewoman at all, we already know that "girls are made of softer stuff" business is bunkum.

And there are lots of other parallels... the connection between your hands and the horse's mouth like the connection between you and uke... using your center to move the horse through your seat... learning not to use muscle because the brute outweighs you 10 to 1...
Actually I find that joint locks translate quite well when I am trimming their hooves.....

Fronts are kote gaeshi and hinds are sankyo.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
Jani
Australia

Hi Cherie. Thankyou, I have ordered that book and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. In fact that is how I came to this website by putting in the keywords horsemanship and aikido, as well as finding the book. Don't you just love tech NO logy!!! (sometimes, if it works for me). Like anything, if we KNOW how to do it right, the thing will work.
which brings me to reply to Hugh's statement...
...well I will "own" my statement of girls being made of softer stuff...I personally am, at this point in time, as I haven't yet learned until it becomes second nature, the correct ways of participating in the aikido dance (does 8 weeks qualify??) hence, bruised wrists, ouch shoulders from rolling/falling incorrectly, ouch knees, ouch head, hey Im 53 and just beginning, gimmeabreak already but thanks for your feedback....I will remember in future to "own" my comments. Sorry to any other girls/women who I swept up in my over generalising statement.
By the way, when I hurt myself, and find myself falling through the air, I tend to laugh and giggle a lot....weird huh!!! other wise i could be sitting on the floor (padded though it may be) and burst into tears....a very (watch for the ownership) Jani thing to do.
till next time

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!