Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #26
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,943
United_States
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

lived in Minnesota for a number of years. it was called the land of 10,000 lakes and a billion mosquito. at dust came, the entire state participated in the synchronized slapping musical. one time i slapped myself so hard, i ended up in a southern state, married with children, and stayed there ever since.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #27
jackie adams
Location: CA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Being new to this forum, and this being my first time being a part of a discussion here, I feel this is a discussing I can safely chime in on.

I take the internal path, and the external path dealing with mosquitos. Taking garlic pills, and eating spicy cuisine, that is the internal approach. The external approach is mosquito lotion, or just plain lotion (does a fair job).

My father's eldest brother when in the Viet Nam work suggested doing as he did. It is a real macho method. Take the sulfur off a match head or two and than swallow them. I'd say that is the serious internal method. I'd do it only when in a pinch.

I have been in many parts of the country, and desired by many a mosquitos far and wide. But there is no greater stealth then the gulf coast mosquitos, and I mean all of them. You don't hear them coming, you don't feel them taking blood. 10 mins later you have know where they have been feeding on your body. Killing or not killing them makes no difference, cause you can't kill them if you don't know they are there. If you do see one and opt to kill it, well it's too late the damage has been done. If you're in a place where you are being eaten alive by mosquitos, your attempts at killing them is a losing battle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
dalen7
 
dalen7's Avatar
Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Location: Karcag
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 750
Hungary
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Be like most martial artists- avoid the confrontation and exposure all together.
In this case move to Hawaii or Seattle where there are hardly any at all..... mosquitos that is-not martial artists...hmm...wait a minute.
Suppose it depends on what part of Hawaii... the guys in Puna, [Acres, Waa Waa, etc.] seem to have serious mosquito problems.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
Janet Rosen
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,340
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

This is a joke one of my elderly clients, originally a squirrel hunting Mississippian, told me:
A bunch of California fellers were on a hunting trip back out east. Come nighttime and they hunkered down in their tents. One fella had to answer nature's call and went out. He come back in a big hurry, grabbing his stuff and hollering "We gotta get outa here. They got skeeters here big as sin and they're spotlighting us!"

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #30
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Team Combat USA
Location: Olympia, Washington
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
United_States
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
If a mosquito landed on your arm would you;

A. Harmonize with it, allowing it to bite your arm and withdraw blood for substenance?

B. "Do no harm" and compassionately remove and release it.

C. Smack the disease ridden blood sucker dead.

D. I don't do Aikido.

dps
Hey David, just a thought back to your OP.

On A....just a thought. If you are allowing him to bite you are you really harmonizing with him? I mean, sure that is one perspective, but he could be giving you a disease and kill you. He is harming you. so is that really harmonizing or submission? Harmonizing IMO, is a WIN/WIN situation. That is, there is a mutual benefit. How do you benefit from the bite?

You propose a tough question! Thanks!

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #31
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Location: Sydney
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 120
Australia
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Option Z) Take a shower and wear deodorant. : ) Apparently they're attracted to the minerals left on your skin after you sweat...

The world changes when you do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #32
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Hey David, just a thought back to your OP.

On A....just a thought. If you are allowing him to bite you are you really harmonizing with him? I mean, sure that is one perspective, but he could be giving you a disease and kill you. He is harming you. so is that really harmonizing or submission? Harmonizing IMO, is a WIN/WIN situation. That is, there is a mutual benefit. How do you benefit from the bite?

You propose a tough question! Thanks!
Another thought for you. If its landed you wouldn't feel it till it bites therefor what did anyone learn from killing it. If that's their solution all the time then they will continue to get bitten.

A bit like 'if he hit me I'd bash him' mentality.

Saw a program on t.v. recently where they were using a machine that actually attracts mosquitos. It was used to do a mosquito count for forecasting. Not much different to a pollen count. That just shows you can lead something to somewhere.

Saw another one too where a couple are in the desert covered by bees. The man is actually enjoying reading a book at the same time, completely not bothered by it. His explanation? He said they just want the water from any sweat, just a drink, they don't want me. So in this case you can give them what they want and have no problem. Also shows resistance would get you stung more than likely.

The point of this story? You can prevent something wanting to attack you or you can give the something what it wants as it's of no harm to you or you can lead it elsewhere to what it's looking for.

I think those who take the mosquito analogy would action go for prevention don't you?

There's always a harmonious solution, it's whether we are wise enough to find it I say. Thus there is always Aikido.

Regards G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #33
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Location: Sydney
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 120
Australia
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post

Saw another one too where a couple are in the desert covered by bees. The man is actually enjoying reading a book at the same time, completely not bothered by it. His explanation? He said they just want the water from any sweat, just a drink, they don't want me. So in this case you can give them what they want and have no problem. Also shows resistance would get you stung more than likely.

The point of this story? You can prevent something wanting to attack you or you can give the something what it wants as it's of no harm to you or you can lead it elsewhere to what it's looking for.
Okaaaay, that's a very interesting story...

You would need to put yourself in a vulnerable position first though, and if you did not know the actual intention of the 'bee'...

Your stance would actually be passive until you figured out what was going on. In a non-perfect world, that would be more serious than a simple beesting. Aikido involves taking initiative and action, not being a victim. In other words, if you refused to take any kind of action, how could you qualify that as aikido?

(Ps, not trolling, just inquisitive!)

The world changes when you do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #34
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Selin Talay wrote: View Post
Okaaaay, that's a very interesting story...

You would need to put yourself in a vulnerable position first though, and if you did not know the actual intention of the 'bee'...

Your stance would actually be passive until you figured out what was going on. In a non-perfect world, that would be more serious than a simple beesting. Aikido involves taking initiative and action, not being a victim. In other words, if you refused to take any kind of action, how could you qualify that as aikido?

(Ps, not trolling, just inquisitive!)
Granted, but who said anything about vulnerable position? The couple and bees scenario shows they are not in a vulnerable position but a strong harmonious one. In this case resisting would be a vulnerable position. So the question is what led them to this position?

Wisdom. They not only knew what they were dealing with but through compassion realized a solution which didn't bother them and yet helped the bees. Harmony and I would say active, full of initiative for they could quite easily have stayed in the tent, zipped it up, surrounded themselves with nets and prevented the bees having any water. They could also have put out a bowl of water outside the tent but then they wouldn't be able to lay outside, under a canope, enjoying the scenery and fresh air.

All different harmonious solutions. All good.

Making an enemy of something that isn't your enemy is the vulnerable position.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #35
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Team Combat USA
Location: Olympia, Washington
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
United_States
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Bee example is not the same. There is a no issue in your example because there is no intent on the bee's to introduce harm to get what they want. therefore, it is not an example preventing violence. There is no intent at all.

A mosquito on the other hand to get what he wants is causing harm and has the intent so to speak. Not that there is a conscious thought to cause harm, but none-the-less harm is caused to the host and that presents a completely different set of circumstances that must be dealt with.

There are many solutions to deal with this from chemicals, to netting, to reducing standing water, or swatting them. the fact remains though, that if you remain in that environment and do nothing you will get bitten.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #36
DonMagee
Location: Indiana
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,311
United_States
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Ha, ha. From a Buddhist viewpoint it could be an old relative of yours. There again, could be an old enemy.

But back to harmony. If you want to harmonize you can learn how to, choice once again.

I know of one tried and tested 'nutritional' solution. Brewers yeast. Take brewers yeast and they keep away from you.

Mechanics based on what they want which is the sugar in your blood. If your blood tastes sweet the message goes out 'Dinners up!!!'. The old insect internet. Brewers yeast makes it not only bitter tasting but repellant. Does you good too.

Or else, as the mosquito approaches it finds you standing behind it.

G.
I actually tried this and garlic (at different times) both simply didn't work for me any better than nothing at all. I did see a few studies that did show that a diet high in B1 (brewers yeast has a lot of B1) can have a small effect in mosquito landings.

When you eat brewers yeast, you basically are getting a boost in B vitamins (but not B12) , protein, and Chromium. People think the vitamin B (thiamine) is what causes them to not bite, that diets high in B1 will cause you to sweat it out of your skin and that the little buggers can't stand the smell.

I personally will stick by plain old DEET.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I actually tried this and garlic (at different times) both simply didn't work for me any better than nothing at all. I did see a few studies that did show that a diet high in B1 (brewers yeast has a lot of B1) can have a small effect in mosquito landings.

When you eat brewers yeast, you basically are getting a boost in B vitamins (but not B12) , protein, and Chromium. People think the vitamin B (thiamine) is what causes them to not bite, that diets high in B1 will cause you to sweat it out of your skin and that the little buggers can't stand the smell.

I personally will stick by plain old DEET.
Really? I tried it in the Isle of Man and it worked for me while fishing yet others got bitten. I had brewers yeast taken in a drink (not the debittered stuff).

Don't see any relation to B1 though or sweating. Don't think B1 makes you sweat either. It can sober you up though.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #38
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
Location: Devon
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,220
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Bees I like, not only do they provide us with succulent honey, they pollinate most of our food crops. Without them, we would have a hard time feeding ourselves.

Mosquitoes on the other hand are little bastards, they bring untold misery to millions of people through the transmission of malaria and their bites can be really unpleasant.

I quite happily harmonize my hand with my skin when one happens to land....a species extinction I would not mourn.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #39
dps
 
dps's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,353
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Hey David, just a thought back to your OP.

On A....just a thought. If you are allowing him to bite you are you really harmonizing with him? I mean, sure that is one perspective, but he could be giving you a disease and kill you. He is harming you. so is that really harmonizing or submission? Harmonizing IMO, is a WIN/WIN situation. That is, there is a mutual benefit. How do you benefit from the bite?

You propose a tough question! Thanks!
Harmony as in, how far will you go to help another living thing, even though your help is detrimental to you.

As far as mosquitoes go, I do not have to think about it, as soon as I hear the buzz or feel the bite I get slap happy.

dps
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #40
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

http://www.megacatch.com/

Some information for those interested.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #41
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Don't want to scare you folks in the U.S. But....

http://libcloud.s3.amazonaws.com/93/...oes_in_U.S.pdf

G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #42
DonMagee
Location: Indiana
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,311
United_States
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Really? I tried it in the Isle of Man and it worked for me while fishing yet others got bitten. I had brewers yeast taken in a drink (not the debittered stuff).

Don't see any relation to B1 though or sweating. Don't think B1 makes you sweat either. It can sober you up though.

Regards.G.
It's not that B1 makes you sweat, it is that B1 is excreted though your pores. That's the premise on how both garlic and brewers yeast work in terms of fighting off the bugs. I did read a study that showed up to a 60% decrease in landings on subjects that took brewers yeast for a few days prior to exposure. In theory, any diet high in B1 should have the same effect.

However, I think everyone's bio-chemistry is different, and for me, even with the yeast I still needed DEET to keep myself from being eaten alive. Garlic faired the same (although I still eat a lot of garlic because it's mighty tasty).

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #43
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

http://www.megacatch.com/mosquitofacts.html

Ahhh, posted the wrong link above, I meant this one.

Regards.G..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #44
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
It's not that B1 makes you sweat, it is that B1 is excreted though your pores. That's the premise on how both garlic and brewers yeast work in terms of fighting off the bugs. I did read a study that showed up to a 60% decrease in landings on subjects that took brewers yeast for a few days prior to exposure. In theory, any diet high in B1 should have the same effect.

However, I think everyone's bio-chemistry is different, and for me, even with the yeast I still needed DEET to keep myself from being eaten alive. Garlic faired the same (although I still eat a lot of garlic because it's mighty tasty).
In the link above it mentions sweat and says it's the octanol in it that smells like dinner to a mozzie, doesn't mention B1 but does mention biotin.

Good reading anyway.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #45
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,943
United_States
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Jackie Adams wrote: View Post

My father's eldest brother when in the Viet Nam work suggested doing as he did. It is a real macho method. Take the sulfur off a match head or two and than swallow them. I'd say that is the serious internal method. I'd do it only when in a pinch.
.
should have asked the vietnamese. eats lemon grass.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #46
Kevin Leavitt
 
Kevin Leavitt's Avatar
Dojo: Team Combat USA
Location: Olympia, Washington
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,376
United_States
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Harmony as in, how far will you go to help another living thing, even though your help is detrimental to you.

As far as mosquitoes go, I do not have to think about it, as soon as I hear the buzz or feel the bite I get slap happy.

dps
I understand what you are saying...however, I think I would call this compassion, not harmony.

The "stasis" of harmony is disrupted by the fact that the mosquito causes harm to you. Does that make sense?

Personally I think this is a very important perspective to consider. We talk about Harmony all the time in Aikido, but I think alot of what we discuss is not harmony at all, but compassion.

To me Harmony represents a mid point between harm and no harm. It doesn't matter which party disrupts it, or the ethics, morality etc.....only that it is broken by harm or "negative".

As humans that are capable of thought...we can make choices to be compassionate and tolerate some harm in order to gain something strategically later on...that thing may BE harmony once we are able to restore the "mid point".

However, in and of that moment that he bites you...that we are addressing specifically, I really believe it is "DISHARMONY" and the choice we make is COMPASSION. the later effect may lead to Harmony.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #47
Pauliina Lievonen
 
Pauliina Lievonen's Avatar
Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 562
Netherlands
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

I remember once I was hiking with some family members in North-eastern Finland, in an area with forest dotted with little lakes. I was wearing my trousers tucked into my socks, a jacket, a net over my head tucket into the neck of the jacket and IIRC gloves. And this in July. At one point I looked down at the front of my (beige) jacket. It was GREY with mosquitoes. Slapping them would have been utterly futile.

But is there's only one, annoyingly keening around the bedroom, it dies.

Oh yeah, and repellant repels me just as effectively as the bugs. Blergh.

kvaak
Pauliina
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #48
DonMagee
Location: Indiana
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,311
United_States
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
In the link above it mentions sweat and says it's the octanol in it that smells like dinner to a mozzie, doesn't mention B1 but does mention biotin.

Good reading anyway.

Regards.G.
I wasn't able to dig up the article I was thinking of, but I did find this.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...ai_2603000229/

Talks about brewers yeast a bit in terms of health food and mentions mosquitos and ticks. Although I did find that wikipedia states that modern studies on B1 and mosquitos has found it ineffective. Either way, I homebrew beer, so I get all the yeast I can drink!

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #49
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I wasn't able to dig up the article I was thinking of, but I did find this.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...ai_2603000229/

Talks about brewers yeast a bit in terms of health food and mentions mosquitos and ticks. Although I did find that wikipedia states that modern studies on B1 and mosquitos has found it ineffective. Either way, I homebrew beer, so I get all the yeast I can drink!
Thanks for that. Yes, as I thought but the information source is useful.

By the way, hope your joking if you think you get the benefits of B vitamins from beer.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #50
DonMagee
Location: Indiana
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,311
United_States
Offline
Re: If a mosquito landed on your arm.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Thanks for that. Yes, as I thought but the information source is useful.

By the way, hope your joking if you think you get the benefits of B vitamins from beer.

Regards.G.
I was joking, but home brewed beer does in fact contain live yeast, so you do get some B vitamins from drinking it (although probably not enough to really matter unless your an alcoholic). Although many people believe the vitamin B in homebrew protects drinkers from hangovers. I don't drink enough to at one sitting to get hangovers.

Last edited by DonMagee : 02-29-2012 at 06:53 AM.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Rooster has landed. AikiRooster Introductions 6 01-16-2003 09:00 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2018 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2018 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate