Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-27-2000, 05:09 AM   #26
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
Quote:
Nick wrote:
I agree with that method, but I also think that they should judge the individual by his waza and attitude, not his age...

I'm sorry, I'm prejudiced in this matter because of the amount I've been judged and setback because of my age...

Thanks for letting me act grumpy,

-Nick
Nick,
I can apreciate where you might have problems with the way you're treated - more a problem with individuals than any organisations though, surely?
At the end of the day however, what does it matter? Will not being able to grade for shodan change your Aikido? Will it make your training time any less valuable?
If anything your time will probably be more productive without that shodan, from what I hear... (Not dissing yudansha here, merely that I've heard the nature of your training changes once you've got your shodan..)

Revel in your early Aikido career, and don't worry about days/hours/years...

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall
Old 08-27-2000, 06:46 AM   #27
Nick
United_States
heh- I don't really have to worry about getting a dan rank until I have a kyu rank .

What I was complaining about was how people hear I'm 14 and assume that my training is some kind of game...

Sorry again, it's early and I didn't sleep well... getting easily angered in my old age .

Ja,

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 08-28-2000, 05:19 PM   #28
Nick
United_States
anyone else have an opinion on children training? just wonderin cuz this is gettin kinda low on the list...

-Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 08-29-2000, 06:11 AM   #29
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Just a little story...

In my dojo there used to be a very capable young guy who got his Shodan at (I think) the age of 15 or 16. He has left the country by now unfortunately, but he was both very dedicated and very mature for his age.

At the same time there was a student who was in his mid or late 40's who practised for a loooooong time - never getting his Shodan. I once overheard one of the instructors say that this guy was ready for Shodan when it came to techniques and knowledge but his attitude lacked some qualities. I can not say exactly what was missing, but I always had a bad experience practising with this guy. He was always trying to dominate everybody else and had a very hostile attitude towards beginners (Something like: "You are not good enough for me to practice with, so you should be grateful that I will lower my standards and teach you anyway"). In the end he was given Shodan and quickly left the dojo to start his own dojo somewhere else in our town.

Just thought I would share these experiences….

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-29-2000, 08:08 AM   #30
Simone
Dojo: Augsburg/Haunstetten
Germany
Hi Silver Tiger, hi Nick!

I'm 28 now and started Aikido 4 years ago in our University Club. But I train in other clubs, too and I know people who started with 8 as well as with 63. I agree with all previous writers that the right attitude is important, not age or gender or so.

I also assist in our childrens class (10 - 14 years). I discovered that for most of them Aikido serves a very diffrent purpose (sort of a funny game) than for adults. And I noticed that they don't learn as quick as most of the older beginners. Mostly about 14, they take Aikido and the training more serious. But that's only for most of the children. Without doubt, there are some who develop earlier. But they are rare.

For me personally, I think, 24 was a good age to start and I hope to enjoy many coming years with practising Aikido.

Simone
Old 08-29-2000, 08:33 AM   #31
chillzATL
United_States
Quote:
Nick wrote:
anyone else have an opinion on children training? just wonderin cuz this is gettin kinda low on the list...

-Nick
I'll throw in my two cents on the children training issue. I think it's a good thing when it's done properly. It gives a good measure of physical, emotional and self-spirit training. The problem is that many martial arts only bother teaching the physical part and leave the rest out. So you get 16 year old kids who have been training for several years and have an ego bigger than themselves. They are always ready to "show someone" what they know and brag about and aren't mature enough to understand the ramifications of those things. When the training is done properly it's a very good thing though.
Old 08-29-2000, 10:33 PM   #32
Magma
Wink

A poetry professor of mine told us that when someone asked you how long it took you to write a particular poem, you should answer, "My whole life." Because, honestly, everything that you've seen and said and done and chased and hid behind and jumped off of and rolled in and felt and not felt and been given and watched and worn and endured ---- all of that goes into your art, whatever that art may be.

With that understood, I've been training my 26 years.

M.

Tim
It's a sad irony: In U's satori, he forgot every technique he ever knew; since then, generations of doka have spent their whole careers trying to remember.
Old 08-29-2000, 11:26 PM   #33
Erik
Quote:
akiy wrote:
According to the documentation I have from Aikikai Hombu Dojo, one must be at least 15 years old for shodan. At least one year must have passed since then with 200 training days for nidan. Two years after that and 300 training days, one can test for sandan. Two years and 300 training days must pass before yondan.

-- Jun
Jeez, I shoulda went to Japan. Those are about 1/2 what I'm used to seeing.

To the original question. Started at 23 and I'm 35 now. 28 is as good as any other time to start.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #34
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: How old were you when you began...

I started aikijitsu when I was 15 and started aikido when I was 24. I am now 25....

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #35
tim evans
United_States

I started when I was 40 now a year later testing this week for the first time. One of our instructors is 81 and he moves and throws like someone in there 20,s .
Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #36
raul rodrigo
Philippines

I started at 31 and am now 44.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #37
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

I started martial arts in the mid-late 70s with Tae Kwon Do, Okinawan Karate, and Hapkido as a youth. As an adult, I trained in various Chinese and Japanese arts until I started studying Aikido in Japan somewhere around my 20th birthday. I'm 40 now. You do the math. ;-)

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/

自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館
Old 09-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #38
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
... George Leonard sensei started aikido when he was 47 years old and thirty years later, he's now 5th dan. ...
I started when I was 46. Now 47, and testing for 6th kyu next weekend. George Leonard Sensei is one of my heros and inspirations.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My AikiBlog

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 09-15-2009, 05:02 AM   #39
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hello,

I started with 38 and am now 41. In our dojo is a guy of 17 who is something like my aikido twin; we started at the same time, got graded at the same time, are those with the most flexible bodies (on whom you have to twist endlessly until nikkyo/sankyo works...), don't progress extremely quickly with the learning process and are those who show most regularly up at the dojo. I don't see any age related difference in our aikido, and I certainly don't see any lack of maturity in that guy. No ego issues, no bragging, no fixation of "when do I merit my hakama", no tendency to show others what they do wrong, just a very nice aikidoka.

But for "real" children it is different. Most of them are not really serious. My elder son does aikido since he is 8; he is now 10 and 4th kyu and I think he is really talented, but he is not very balanced emotionally. Refuses to train with X or Y, starts crying when some techniques don't work...I hope it will improve when he grows up. He's more serious when training with adults or with complete beginners, but when he's training with his sisters or some middling kyu kids he can be a real jerk. My daughters started at nearly six, and for them it's just playing. They learn something, but, as someone else already stated, smaller kids learn much, much slower than adults! I think they don't have the understanding of the mechanics behind it....I don't really know.

Best regards,

Eva
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #40
allowedcloud
United_States

I started Aikido looooooong after this thread was created
Old 09-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #41
lbb
United_States

Most people who start aikido (or anything else) when they're five have probably quit well before they're ten. OTOH, most people who start aikido when they're 28 have quit before they're 29. Looking back and saying, "Wow, I wish I'd started this years ago, then I'd be real good now!" is a mistake for this reason; likewise, looking ahead and saying, "Hmm, I wonder if I can be shodan by the time I'm 30?" or whatever.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #42
YogaRen
Dojo: The little dojo in the Woods.
United_States

I started five months ago. I am 30.

Trusting the process.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #43
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Joshua Landin wrote: View Post
I started Aikido looooooong after this thread was created
Oh jeez, another ancient thread resurrected. Ashley!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #44
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

And while reading this thread - I was wondering, how many of those who wrote in it when it was started (Aug 2000) are still training today?

Amir

P.S.
I started when I was about 17.5, will celebrate my 37th birthday next week, and wondering if I wish to bring something with me to the dojo and celebrate there too (as I often did along the years).
My younger brother started with me (he was 13 at the time) and he too still comes too (though less frequently).
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #45
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Amir, funny, I was wondering how many who have posted on Aikiweb started and quit in the time before Ashley posted...

Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #46
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

I started at 23, it's been 10 years.

PS- nothing wrong with an old thread if there is something new to add. Better than a dozen threads all on the same topic.

Jonathan Olson
Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #47
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Oh jeez, another ancient thread resurrected. Ashley!
Hehe.... You can expect more if I come across some interesting ones. I have been backreading. I started at the end of the posts and I got to page 160 last night. You wouldn't believe how many Steven Seagal posts there are back there as well!

I thought it would be interesting to have imput from all of you. My husband always gets on me because I usually ask people "How long have you been training?" once I get to know someone fairly well. I find that that question or how old were you when you started seem more appropriate then "What rank are you?"

As for those of you wondering about the previous poster's..... I had thought the exact same thing!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #48
David Maidment
United Kingdom

I started training when I was eight. Or maybe ten? My mind fails me...

I'm twenty-four now, but I had about ten or more years off after being a stubborn kid and quitting. I've been back at it for a year and a half. All-in-all, I reckon I have somewhere between two-to-four years under my humble orange belt.

To be honest, I'm glad that I quit when I was younger. And also that I trained during that period. I learnt my 'elastic ukemi' while I was still flexible, but didn't pick up enough bad kiddie habits that it would have messed up my training when I became a teenager. Now I'm older I can train seriously without much difficulty, because the movement is all natural to me. Best of both worlds.

"Never escalate a battle unless forced to do so by your enemy" - Zordon
Old 09-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #49
Kevin Karr
United_States

I first started Aikido when I was around 21. I studied regularly for about a year and then I moved. After moving, I trained at a new place for about 6 months to a year but their style of training did not really suit me so I discontinued my practice at that time. However, I wasn't finished with Aikido and I knew it. I just needed to find the right people and the right place...

Flash forward 8 years. Just as a very long-term relationship came to a close, Aikido appeared back in my life. The right group of people training under the right teacher involved with a good organization manifested themselves before me. I have been training solidly for the past 2 years.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #50
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

I am 39 with no history of martial arts at all. My only real sports type history is in horseback riding. Just started Aikido in June this year. I am thoroughly enjoying my classes and, I think, learning at a pretty decent rate. Certainly its not as easy for a more mature body to get into such a physical activity but I am seeing a lot of benefits from the activity.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!