Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Chris Knight
England
food for thought

Not sure if this will be of interest to anybody but going to post anyway, just freaked me out slightly and gave me food for thought

I was driving home after picking my little 4 year old boy up from school a couple of days ago, he suffers from Autistic Spectrum Disorder. He was chatting away to me and we had a radio playing in the background. All of a sudden he broke conversation, pointed at the radio and shouted 25 seconds left! For whatever reason I started counting as soon as he said this, and as I got to 25 seconds, the music abruptly ended and the presenter came on

I didn't say anything and then after about five minutes, I turned the radio off and asked him what he meant - he said "dont worry it's gone now, it was 25 seconds until the music's gone"

Now I'm not one for believing anything like this happens, was it coincidence, was it luck - although he did say he saw the time counting down on the radio - impossible obviously

Funnily enough, the day after the wife had taken him out and was in a lift talking about me finishing work - she was about to say "your dad finishes work at half past five" but he butted in saying "in twenty five minutes" - the time was 5:05PM

he cant tell the time, and doesn't have a watch... very very strange week

Anybody with similar experiences? I thought this could be of interest to people who are into the higher cognitive functioning of the martial arts realm and whether this is possible to happen??
Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: food for thought

Quote:
Chris Knight wrote: View Post
Not sure if this will be of interest to anybody but going to post anyway, just freaked me out slightly and gave me food for thought

I was driving home after picking my little 4 year old boy up from school a couple of days ago, he suffers from Autistic Spectrum Disorder. He was chatting away to me and we had a radio playing in the background. All of a sudden he broke conversation, pointed at the radio and shouted 25 seconds left! For whatever reason I started counting as soon as he said this, and as I got to 25 seconds, the music abruptly ended and the presenter came on

I didn't say anything and then after about five minutes, I turned the radio off and asked him what he meant - he said "dont worry it's gone now, it was 25 seconds until the music's gone"

Now I'm not one for believing anything like this happens, was it coincidence, was it luck - although he did say he saw the time counting down on the radio - impossible obviously

Funnily enough, the day after the wife had taken him out and was in a lift talking about me finishing work - she was about to say "your dad finishes work at half past five" but he butted in saying "in twenty five minutes" - the time was 5:05PM

he cant tell the time, and doesn't have a watch... very very strange week

Anybody with similar experiences? I thought this could be of interest to people who are into the higher cognitive functioning of the martial arts realm and whether this is possible to happen??
Chris:

it sounds like your son is probably Asperger's Syndrome end of the Autism Disorder. There is an old category called Idiot Savant, which basically identified a remarkable area of cognitive strength amidst major areas of brain dysfunction, that is now pretty much absorbed into the Asperger's arena. Your son is indicating early signs of areas of remarkable strength.

Just my Pysch. 2 cents.

marc abrams
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Chris Knight
England

That's correct Marc, thanks for your thoughts...he has been diagnosed as being towards the Aspergers side of the spectrum

Me thinks I need to get him training asap... mini Ueshiba or what?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Chris, yes, this is fine. My best advice to you is to acknowledge it, acknowledge him. Every time he does it and it's correct just acknowledge him, give him a thank you or well done and leave it at that.

Don't make a big thing about it and don't ignore it both.

The truth is it's spiritual and then those into mind feel they have to work it out and give labels and say whether it's good or bad and relate it to brain. Of course you could test and find extra brain stimulation but that's the result of all things spiritual.

Spiritual phenomenon are common to all and thus ability but not acknowledged or validated and usually put down to imagination.

I'm as certain as I sit here that you have done it or similar yourself but never acknowledged it. The difference with 'Autistic' type conditions is the mind is turning it into data, data, data.

In life we experience 'knowing' 'feeling' the doorbells going to ring or the phone or what a person is going to say etc. etc. before they happen. How many times have you heard someone say with surprise when the car breaks down or something else mechanical happens out of the blue ' I knew that was going to happen!' and then promise themselves to trust their feelings next time yet usually then put it down as imagination or some such.

As Ive said many times on this forum, spiritual rules are different to such logic as is used in reasoning and debating. Different to psychological and physical. It's all good.

Very basic, your son just needs love and acknowledgement.

Regards.G.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Chris Knight
England

Thanks for the advice Graham

I understand your viewpoint

I personally look at it from a scientific view point, but each to their own I suppose.

He is most definately loved and supported, he has had the higher level functioning displayed since the age of 18 months so we are used to it, but it has only just started manifesting itself in this way

Regards

Chris
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Thanks Chris.
I only emphasized the acknowledgement because in life 'others' are the ones who will tell him it's not normal or odd etc. It is acknowledgement that makes him feel good in himself that's all.

(Believe it or not, all those who end up truly spiritual and knowing are very scientific with those spiritual principles.)

As an aside and indeed an example, personal, with my own son many years ago the following happened.

As I arrived home my wife was in a bit of a state and saying there was a problem. She said our son was all upset and down and wouldn't talk to her and wouldn't go out to play with his friends and she was worried. (he was only 8 years old) and she was really worried. I asked what he had said and she said she didn't understand what he said and that only I would and I must go and talk to him.

Of course he felt a bit embarrased to tell me what had happened at school and was confued and upset now but I calmed him down and got him to tell me exactly what happened.

The teacher had asked the class to draw pictures of when they were younger which led to them telling stories they remembered. He proceeded to to tell them how he remembered floating above a group of people all dressed in black and rings of flowers and people crying. He said he then fleww off across the sea and woke up as a baby in this new place. Everyone had laughed at him and the teacher had told him that's silly.

All I did was tell him well done and that that's good. His relief was like a big cloud of confusion leaving the room and he completely brightened up in front of me. He was back and happy.

I then said he'd better not tell others cos they don't understand . That's all. Now bright and happy and back to himself off he went to play.

Just acknowledgement, no more. It's others who have the significance.

Regards. G.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

That is very cool. Don't let the labels make you think of him as DIS-abled, even if others want to treat it that way or even insist you frame it that way; he is simply other-abled, wired a little differently from most but he has plenty of company.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
genin
United_States

It's called Synchronicity.

A few months ago I noticed my friend's kids had really beat up shoes. So I spent $40 to buy them new shoes. I wasn't obligated to do so, but I am a believer that your actions return to you in kind. That being said, it wasn't more than a few days later, and my stepdad was dropping me off at the airport. As I got into the car, out of nowhere he says "Let me get you that $40..." then ran back inside to get the money. The thing is, I had not told him about buying the kids shoes, nor how much I spent, nor did he have any communication with them about it. When he gave me the money, I was actually going to ask him "Why $40? Why that amount specifically?" But I already knew the answer.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Chris Knight
England

Thanks graham.
Alas my boy being four has told me many a story like this. Some bone chiling about horrific things. unfortunately children also have overactive imaginations. And thats all. You have to put things in context and you realise children are sometimes just trying to conceptualise the world. Nothing more.

Thankyou janet. he's the most amazing beautiful boy who never ceases to amaze me with his mental ability
Old 01-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
lbb
United_States

I'd heard that people on the autism spectrum sometimes have amazing "calendar skills" (like they ask you your birthdate and immediately tell you, "Oh, your birthday is on a Sunday this year!"), but I'd never heard of anyone making such a "calculation" seemingly without the necessary data. That really is amazing! He's got to be getting the data from somewhere, but where?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
Chris Knight
England

Mark A.. thank you for taking the time to send your email. I've tried inboxing you but saying unallowed

Any help is much appreciated as it's currently taking a toll on our family life and we're desparate to help our little one, as it's affecting his physiological health greatly in day to day life.

Believe it or not, I have been recommended a pioneering clinic in London only yesterday, just trying to raise the funding. They too deal with nutrition. I will definately follow your lead.

You have just restored some of my faith in kind human nature

Thank you

Chris
Old 02-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Chris Knight wrote: View Post
Mark A.. thank you for taking the time to send your email. I've tried inboxing you but saying unallowed

Any help is much appreciated as it's currently taking a toll on our family life and we're desparate to help our little one, as it's affecting his physiological health greatly in day to day life.

Believe it or not, I have been recommended a pioneering clinic in London only yesterday, just trying to raise the funding. They too deal with nutrition. I will definately follow your lead.

You have just restored some of my faith in kind human nature

Thank you

Chris
Chris:

Thank you very much for your kind words! You could not contact me lately because I was in the Aikiweb, Timeout room..... You can e-mail me any time at sensei@aasbk.com . It will be my pleasure to help provide you with any resources that I know of.

Good Luck!

Marc Abrams

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com