Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Michael Neal
Aikido/Martial Arts Photography and Filmmaking

Anyone else out there into Aikido/Martial Arts Photography? Photography and video has been a hobby of mine for a while but I am starting to do some serious work with the martial arts.

Below is a photo slide show and a video of some stuff I have done for my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class. Let me know what you think. There are a lot action shots after you pass the initial portraits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael...1311/lightbox/

http://vimeo.com/18848640

If there is anyone who might want some photos and/or video of their Aikido class in the general vicinity of DC let me know? This is just a hobby right now so I am not charging money or anything, just for fun. As far as video goes I am now getting into slow and ultra slow motion video which would look great with Aikido.

Seminars would be fine with me too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sal3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	938  

Last edited by Michael Neal : 12-02-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Aikido/Martial Arts Photography and Filmmaking

Wow you take fantastic pictures. Iv'e taken a bunch of pics and some video in my classes but the camera I was using is not nearly so nice. Still Iv'e gotten a few pretty nice shots. I have often thought it would be really fun to have a professional photographer come and shoot during class just to see what sorts of neat shots we might be able to get. It would be nice to have a few really well shot pictures of myself in my aikido world like I have for my equestrian world. Ah well if you are every in Pittsburgh and sensei agrees....
Old 12-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Michael Neal

Actually my wife went to college in Pittsburgh and has friends we visit there occasionally. It has been a while so she would probably love to go there soon. Let me know what your sensei thinks.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Videodeshi
Dojo: Aikikai Australia
Australia
Thumbs up Re: Aikido/Martial Arts Photography and Filmmaking

Great Photos ,
love the lighting in the portraits.
What camera and lens are you using ?
I would love to be able to take those shot but I need to thing.
1. Your camera and skills
2. Not to train and take photos (This is really hard for me)

I'm lucky enough that my instructor allows me to video all his classes, I've only just been getting around to editing them.

What do you use for slow motion, I've been looking for a while for a video camera that does High Def slow Motion , but can't seem to find anything affordable.

Regards
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote: View Post
Actually my wife went to college in Pittsburgh and has friends we visit there occasionally. It has been a while so she would probably love to go there soon. Let me know what your sensei thinks.
Oh cool. Well Sensei is Garth Jones and he does visit this forum so he might weigh in himself but I'll ask him what he thinks as well as ask some of my dojo mates if they would be interested in something like this.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Michael, man you've really gotten good over the last couple of years! Nice work. You really capture the "life" in your stills.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Oh yea, not sure if you remember Jonathan, a brown belt from Arlington Judo Club. Well I was going to my aikido class a few weeks ago and one of my BJJ students was rolling on the ground with a guy, he looks up...and it is Jonathan! Small world. We get together every now and then and do some training.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Michael Neal

Quote:
Jose Sicurella wrote: View Post
Great Photos ,
love the lighting in the portraits.
What camera and lens are you using ?
I would love to be able to take those shot but I need to thing.
1. Your camera and skills
2. Not to train and take photos (This is really hard for me)

I'm lucky enough that my instructor allows me to video all his classes, I've only just been getting around to editing them.

What do you use for slow motion, I've been looking for a while for a video camera that does High Def slow Motion , but can't seem to find anything affordable.

Regards
I used a Canon 7d and the 17-55mm f2.8 lens. For slow motion I shoot most of the footage at 24p and then for slow motion clips I shoot 60p and put into the 24p timeline, then adjust to playback rate of the clip. You just need a camera that can shoot 60p which gives you enough frames to look good slow.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Michael Neal

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Michael, man you've really gotten good over the last couple of years! Nice work. You really capture the "life" in your stills.
Thanks Kevin, Yea I have seen a few people from Arlington Judo when training BJJ, Is Jonathan Sensei Robert Winston's son? That's the only Jonathan I remember.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

No...not the same one. I know Winston and his son. His son should be in his last year at the Air Force Academy right now I believe.