Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #126
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Re: Getting High On The Mat!

thats just what i'm getting at Lan, if someone who for instance has ADD is practicing how do you tell if they are impaired or not... have taken their medicine or not... are 'controlled and responsible' or not... I have practiced with people who would not be considered impaired in any sense, yet were not controlled and responsible and did cause injuries... and i have worked out with people who took plenty of 'drugs' for a variety of conditions, yet they were in my opinion much safer... it is all very good to want to be safe in practice, but how is that measured/achieved? I place safety first, thats the Navy motto and i stick to it, but isn't it at least possible that one can be unsafe while not under the influence and vice versa? and if so how does one make these kind of judgements fairly/realistically?

Edwin Neal

Old 02-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #127
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Tough question....there are no hard-and-fast answers. Each faces the same question alone, I think.
My thought is that if you have a choice, I.E. taking drugs and being in that case impaired as opposed to a person who "can't help it".
Which is responsilble? Who is acting in good faith? Who is "trying" and who is not?......
Your intentions. That is the crux of the matter.
Regards
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 02-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #128
Edwin Neal
United_States

i agree with your sentiments Lan, but i am looking for how say a person teaching or leading a class would make these kind of calls...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #129
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

What, now I am an authority?
I am only able to picture a person leading a class seeing obvious behaviour...all the signs of drug use are pretty blatant in most cases. The users who don't show it as much are of course less of a outright danger on the face of it, but are still being irresponsible to their partners and (hopefully) friends in the dojo.
If a person has a physical issue ...you mentioned ADD then the teacher should be told up front. They will see it pretty soon anyway if it is bad enough to warrent concern.
Once again, a grey area....
My first thought is that if you can't see the problem, it isn't enough of a problem to matter. But that belies the issues of responsibility that each student on the mat should address for themselves FIRST.
Regards
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #130
Edwin Neal
United_States

thanks for your thoughts Lan, i still feel a little iffy on this one... my experience is that it is not pretty blatant, not usually obvious at all... and what if i think a student with ADD or some condition that required medication is okay to practice, but others don't? it still all seems rather unclear...

Edwin Neal

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.