Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Education Crises

http://www.all4ed.org/files/archive/...rAttrition.pdf

One of the most important public services we can provide is to ensure quality education. I thought this was an interesting article on some related costs and factors to not supporting our teachers. I like the phrase, "No Child Left Behind," even though I think some of the policies are flawed. An implied relationship many of those who voted for NCLB seem to fail to notice is that between the teacher and the student. If you leave behind the teacher, you're leaving behind the student de facto.
There is a huge discrepency between the have's and the have-not's when it comes to public education. As an example: my wife was given a 50.00 materials allowance from a previous PTA in Rainier Valley...after she paid 25.00. As a half-time teacher she regularly works 40+ hours a week; as a full-time teacher she easily worked 60+. And this is a high-stress job. Never mind the students with behavioral issues: the parents are often worse.
...and yes, in many (if not most) cases the child isn't doing well in school largely because of factors beyond the school's scope of control (home life). One can easily see the relationship between how parents value study practices and how well students will perform in the classroom. Schools with strong community support almost always have better results.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Education Crises

Two huge fallacies in NCLB:
1. they forget that fully half of anything HAS to be below average BY DEFINITION.
2. They penalize schools that are already doing well but fail to keep improving by a certain percent every year. HELLO?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
1. they forget that fully half of anything HAS to be below average BY DEFINITION.
2. They penalize schools that are already doing well but fail to keep improving by a certain percent every year. HELLO?
"Lake Wobegon is where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
Assuming what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, doesn't that sound a lot like the stock market? And should this be so? I think we are in agreement: no.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
Assuming what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe it is not, doesn't that sound a lot like the stock market? And should this be so? I think we are in agreement: no.
It was part of Dubya's original NCLB and I believe from articles I've read within the past month that provision is still in force.
And yes, we are in agreement. I have never understood why a business that meets expenses including payroll and capitalization and a nice living for its owner/s HAS to grow more year to year than is needed to ensure that people get raises commensurate w/ COLA + merit, capitalization and emergency funding is in place, and the owner is saving for retirement. Yes, I know, I just don't "get" capitalism.

Janet Rosen
Old 11-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
It was part of Dubya's original NCLB and I believe from articles I've read within the past month that provision is still in force.
And yes, we are in agreement. I have never understood why a business that meets expenses including payroll and capitalization and a nice living for its owner/s HAS to grow more year to year than is needed to ensure that people get raises commensurate w/ COLA + merit, capitalization and emergency funding is in place, and the owner is saving for retirement. Yes, I know, I just don't "get" capitalism.
Manifest Destiny? I'm trying to wrap my mind around it too. Let's just give them bigger slices of pie and assume it'll all be ok. Sure, the poorest schools are in the poorest neighborhoods, but I'm sure it's only because they didn't work hard. Take away regulation and let businesses police themselves so they're free to make more freedom. It doesn't matter who gets how much of the freedom, the invisible hand will make sure we all get the right amount and it will only get better and better. Government work promotes corruption and waste; private enterprise would never do that because you'll just not buy their product, right? That'll fix 'em. Groceries too expensive and filled with unhealthy chemicals? Just don't buy it. Can't do that with the government in charge can you! They'll come to your door with a gun and make you do what they want. Private enterprise would never do that. They might hire the Pinkertons, but that's just more freedom being made. They might pay you in their own currency to make you shop in their stores, but you're not some kind of commie union worker are you? Government will make death panels; corporations would never deny a person their due coverage. If the people wouldn't like it, they'd stop anyway. But if you can't afford payments, you better pay up or they have the legal right to garnish payments. That's where government is good. Stinking deadbeats.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 11-07-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
mathewjgano

United_States

I don't think capitalism is necessarily bad. But I do think the arguments I've heard have failed to convince me businesses will always do a better job.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 11-07-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, a lot of suffering comes from ignorance.

Ignorance can be overcome by right information/education.

How do we stimulate and facilitate awareness and education of compassion and abundance (along with its responsibility and accountability) as well as challenge the beliefs of fear, pain, and scarcity (along with its responsibility and accountability)?

Perhaps we think too much about the "I" and not enough about the "we"?

Thoughts?

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Janet Rosen

Today's NY Times has a very good article on the Feds latest educational boondogle The Race To The Top. Just as stupid as the original NCLB.
One example will suffice: Teachers are assessed 50% based on their students’ results on state test scores. When there is no test for a given class/level, the next available test results are used..."So Emily Mitchell, a first-grade teacher at David Youree Elementary, will be evaluated using the school’s fifth-grade writing scores...In the end, it’s all about distrust: not trusting principals to judge teachers, not trusting teachers to educate children."

Janet Rosen
Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
How do we stimulate and facilitate awareness and education of compassion and abundance (along with its responsibility and accountability) as well as challenge the beliefs of fear, pain, and scarcity (along with its responsibility and accountability)?

Perhaps we think too much about the "I" and not enough about the "we"?
I believe the answer lies somewhere in that idea of "we," the cornerstone of "society." I am all for empowering the individual, but I don't think it means much when one person's empowerment eliminates another. It's certainly not an easy fix, but that's the direction I think things should be aimed toward. How do we get people to share (when they can afford it) and when it would be in the best interest of everyone, without making them feel strong-armed since that's when people tend to resist...even when it may be directly in their best interest.

The problem with NCLB as I remember it, has to do with the fact that there are so many variables to teaching any class. It's similar to the problem of standardized testing in that it invites over-specialization and rote memorization instead of comprehension and creative application. I like the idea of Core Curriculum and of having a national standard aimed at raising test scores, but the punitive methods of NCLB are detrimental to the school and I think are really designed to move the public school system into the private sector. If we're going to create a litmus test for what makes a good or bad teacher, we need to support them a lot more.
Having been part of the process of being educated to be an educator I think I can see some serious flaws in the system, particularly as it regards new teachers. Most of the actual teacher training takes place after they've been certified on the job. New teachers are often given larger demands than older teachers in the form of committee work, and they have very little real-time experience by the time they have their own class. I believe the program I was part of was particularly poorly run, although to be fair I was in the first cohort of a new satelite program. The TESL componant was outstanding, but most everything else was mixed. I had one class which was literally a waste of time since all the material had been covered in other courses.
From what I can tell, and I recognize I am somewhat far removed, there is a huge gap between administrative efforts and faculty efforts. Administration seems more like a politician's game. They can have little to no classroom experience. Teachers are often treated like "associate" level employees instead of the backbone of our education system that they are. They handle more problems in one day than most jobs entail. Some are cushy positions, but most are not.
And now we have large groups of people who think they understand what teaching entails and think they're fat-cats who work half-time on a full-time salary. Their job is often harder than most people realize, even the ones who are sympathetic. They serve the function of baby-sitter, tutor, family member, and protector. They have to organize the needs of 20-30 students so they function together while respecting individual needs and rights. They are undervalued; underappreciated; and now a popular fodder for political agendas designed to ascribe blame for something they have very little, if ANY, real part in causing.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

the way we teach children in school has not changed for the past century.

definition of insanity: do the same thing and expect different results.

we could have adopt Montessori education approach or some other similar approach.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
the way we teach children in school has not changed for the past century.

definition of insanity: do the same thing and expect different results.

we could have adopt Montessori education approach or some other similar approach.
Absolutely, although Montessori has its own pitfalls from what I'm told. I don't think we need to scrap the whole system, but I do think the passive learner model is weak. From what I was told, many schools are moving toward a more constructivist model in which the student is allowed to take a more lead role in finding things out. It requires a great deal of "scaffolding," but the learning takes on a more personal/meaningful/useful nature. Now we're often given our facts and expected to believe they're useful. At the very least, they aren't often put in terms of why we're doing them. Most math is useful for learning logic processes, not so much for specific utility (unless you're surveying or working construction, things like trigonometry aren't too useful for most people...that I know of...and most construction workers learn parts of it on the job even though the 2,3,4 standard right angle was taught to them in school).
Now, I do think our current system would be rather successful if parents made more of a point to support scholastic learning. The problem is most of us, while we have fond memeories of this or that teacher and subject, went to school with the sense that we had to. It was to be endured unless you could sneak out somehow. This will take almost any system and make it fail. If the student doesn't believe in the learning, they won't generally learn it. They'll cram, pass the test and forget it to move on to the next thing to be later forgotten.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 11-07-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
SeiserL

United_States

Perhaps before we have to learn content, we should learn the process of learning?

Being around the educational world, I would also suggest that we also model at home and in society that being a good student and valuing an education and the learning opportunity/experience is important.

Perhaps its is more a social/familial opportunity than an educational crisis?

Thoughts?

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States

Quote:
One fallacy of averages:

Population: {0, 9, 9}
Average: 6
More than half of the population is above average.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Joe McParland wrote: View Post
One fallacy of averages:

Population: {0, 9, 9}
Average: 6
More than half of the population is above average.
And the average human has a single testicle and a single ovary.

However, with a large enough normal population sample and with a "sensible" variable being measured....

Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #16
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Perhaps before we have to learn content, we should learn the process of learning?

Being around the educational world, I would also suggest that we also model at home and in society that being a good student and valuing an education and the learning opportunity/experience is important.

Perhaps its is more a social/familial opportunity than an educational crisis?

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me.
My wife, her mother and her brother are teachers; I have several friends who are teachers; and I've maintained ties with a couple of my teachers from high school. In all cases they have described how the key ingredient to making good students can be found at home. This isn't to say if someone's child is having difficulties that it's always the parents' fault, but parent attitudes about school and study-habits make a huge difference...in many (if not most) cases, it's the determining factor for overall success. Of course that depends on how we define success, but speaking generally it seems to hold true.
So I would agree part of the problem in public school today is the culture it finds itself in. Any crisis in Education can be mitigated to a substantial degree with family/community support. Unfortunately, many people do seem to think simply dropping their kids off at school is where their part of the education process ends. It's a tough job on both sides of that equation, but participation/support on the part of parents is very important.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
Joe McParland

United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
And the average human has a single testicle and a single ovary.

However, with a large enough normal population sample and with a "sensible" variable being measured....
"In the cases where it's true, it's true." Good job!

Of course, being dismissive and triviallizing only highlights ignorance. Consider statements like "the poor pay more than whatever percent of the taxes." The statements are politically colorful, but mathematically sensible on further examination. You won't be able to see that if your mind is closed like this.

Would that be an education problem we should address, or just a sense of humor problem?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
Keith Larman
United_States

Simply making a point about statistics. Nothing more. Carry on...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
Keith Larman
United_States

And by the way, your passive aggressive response to me after your post seems rather jarring as well.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
Joe McParland

United_States

Quote:
Simply making a point about statistics. Nothing more. Carry on...
Though your claim regarding the central limit theorem has nothing to do with the definition of the mean, this is about education... Have a smiley sticker for your effort:

Also in today's self-esteem feeding system, we should deal with every accusation of hurt feelings, so do accept my apology... and have another smiley:

Lighten up

Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #21
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Absolutely, although Montessori has its own pitfalls from what I'm told. I don't think we need to scrap the whole system, but I do think the passive learner model is weak..
pitfalls of montessori are few, if any. currently, it runs as private schools, which costs more. doesn't have to be if public school system model after it. personally, i don't have problem scraping the whole public school system and replace it with montessori model school system.

picture this, a classroom where the teacher desks aren't in front of the classroom, but mingle with the student desks. there is no "front of the class" or "rear of the class". each section of the room is a learning station: geography, math, science, english, and so on. each classroom has some pet cages with pets where the student care for them. students are freely move about the room depends on his/her own schedule which the student work it out the teacher for the whole week. there are no lecture, only group discussion on topics. homework is rare. there are 3 grades in the same classroom, normally. the higher grade students mentoring the lower grade; it's a sempai-kohai relationship. each student spent 3 years in the same classroom. field trips outside of the classroom are the norm. if you want to learn biology, a good place would be the wood or stream bed or swamp, and so the field trips. if you want to learn history, lets go to some of the historical places. learn by touch, by feel, by all the senses, then lastly through group discussion, i.e. analysis. parents participation are very much encourage. parents and teachers meet on a regular basis. information flow from teachers to student and parents uninterupted and bidirectional.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #22
Joe McParland

United_States

As a side note, I've never really found aikido to be about catering to every uke's whim--otherwise we'd just learn to stand still and accept the attack. Same thing with zen. Now maybe we can see where we go awry with education, with teachers falling into the students' worlds/contexts rather than the reverse.

We break those cycles by waking up and disrupting them.

Thanks to Keith for help in demonstrating the principle

Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #23
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Joe McParland wrote: View Post
As a side note, I've never really found aikido to be about catering to every uke's whim--otherwise we'd just learn to stand still and accept the attack. Same thing with zen. Now maybe we can see where we go awry with education, with teachers falling into the students' worlds/contexts rather than the reverse.

We break those cycles by waking up and disrupting them.

Thanks to Keith for help in demonstrating the principle
Saying I have a closed mind by simply raising a simple point of statistics? No, Joe, you're still just as nasty as ever hiding behind the same thin veneer of passive aggression.

Plonk.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #24
Joe McParland

United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
pitfalls of montessori are few, if any. currently, it runs as private schools, which costs more. doesn't have to be if public school system model after it. personally, i don't have problem scraping the whole public school system and replace it with montessori model school system.
I'd hypothesize that Montessori works partly because it's an expensive alternative. That is, there are parents behind the students who care sufficiently about the education to overcome those barriers and there's an expectation that the teachers will do a good job. (Again, just a theory. We homeschool, so we see similar things.)

If everything was Montessori, that might be a close equivalent to no education system at all, wherein the kids are all free to pursue what interests them from what's available around them. Homeschoolers call it "unschooling" or the like. Figure that's the root of every education system anyway

Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #25
Joe McParland

United_States

Quote:
Saying I have a closed mind by simply raising a simple point of statistics? No, Joe, you're still just as nasty as ever hiding behind the same thin veneer of passive aggression.

Plonk.
I concede you are better than me. Carry on!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!