Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
My rant of the day

Hi i'm starting a new thread that anyone can pursue. It's your rant of the day. Mine is this.

It's sad to see that a collective experience of maybe over 500 years exists in the Aikiweb forum from it's members. Yet instead of harnessing that experience effectively, most threads are like proving grounds to show one person is great and the rest a bunch of bilthering idiots.

Everyday skirmishes are fought and i've seen wars escalate over years in the forum. And in the end? Lines are drawn, allies and enemies are made, some established their own Switzerland, some apparently went to Mars and established a colony there having had enough of earth (a few came back due to the inhospitable conditions).

As I see it, half the time the differences are due to a misinterpretation of the other party's terminology. One could say that both parties are almost talking about the same thing but they aren't. That maybe because we are not that grand on precisely naming every single thing in our curriculum, it maybe our origjnal teachers call an orange an apple instead, or a myriad of different reasons. The point being is, I think so much more could be achieve if we went about asking people to explain their whole concept before butting in with our own understanding. Trying it out even, and discussing failures and success instead of being so satisfied with our own hodgepodge of ideas. And lest we forget those guerilla fighters who take pot shots with their occasional one liners... Mayhaps it's because they can't be bothered to explain further because they 'know' where this will eventually lead, or they've done their bit before and are now expressing incredulity that no one bothered to check in dusty old threads of another name, and perhaps they just like to pop in once in awhile to show the world that they still matter.

In any case, whilst I can understand it's human nature to want to be popular or to attract followers your way, everyone's journey here is surely far from over. And if you kill someone else's understanding when it might still be at it's infancy now, you just might be killing off a piece of knowledge that may become absolutely essential as you reach another stage in your development.

This forum could effectively be a blueprint in development towards achieving understanding in Aikido. Certainly one that tracks the right and the wrong paths and even necessary 'prototyping' paths that one might need to take to ease their journey in Aikido.

Let's not remain as children in schoolyard battles and instead go forwards as brothers in arms.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: My rant of the day

and sisters....thumbs up to you!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Ahmad,

Thanks for posting this.

I largely agree and was actually thinking of posting something similar a few days ago.

While I don't consider myself one of the prime offenders, I know I have been guilty of some of the behavior you describe, and actually decided to refrain from posting for a couple months, because I felt that the "stance" I was taking here was not productive to nor congruous with my overall training.

I think it is important for us to recognize that we all have beliefs, assumptions, and interpretations of our experiences. And I doubt any of us knows the truth, although some may be closer than others.

In any case, changing the tone of the forum will require a conscious effort from most all of the regular posters.

It seems we should encourage honesty, clarity, open exchange of information, requests for information, pure questioning, genuine disputes, and collegial and dignified conduct.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Abasan
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Too many times we keep quiet when we should have something out loud. A symptom of a polite society maybe...

And yes girls too!

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Hi Ahmad,
I share your frustration and agree with your assessment. Like Michael, I've forced myself to post less when I begin to feel like I might be adding to things in the wrong way...and hopefully on the whole I don't muck things up too much.
I wanted to respond specifically to this section real quick:
Quote:
Ahmad wrote:
The point being is, I think so much more could be achieve if we went about asking people to explain their whole concept before butting in with our own understanding.
In addition to differences in terminology, I think another major culprit has to do with different social norms. For example, when people give their view on something, one of the ways I go about getting answers, particularly when I don't have a well-formed question, is to simply make a statement and hope someone addresses any pertinent points I may have made, whether they be correct, incorrect, or something not exactly one or the other.
...So I hope that in my 1000+ posts, I haven't come across as thinking I know better than others (I know I generally don't).
Thank you for reminding us all to check our own behavior from time to time; to see the bigger picture on how to communicate well.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Abasan
Malaysia

Matt you and me both. Sometimes we go all colloquial and some people might not appreciate it. I've been known as begin too wordy in my younger days, so I try to minimize what comes out of my mouth now (also not to look too stupid), but being too succinct sometimes create a lot of holes in what we're trying to say or mean.

My only hope is that someone at least benefits from what I have to say from time to time, even if the masses pay it no heed. As man that's our duty right? To plant seeds for the future?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
genin
United_States

The problem you speak of OP is not just related to this forum and Aikido, but every web forum of every topic. It's about human nature and communication.

Have you ever been on a forum just to read the posts? Have you ever posted a new thread or made a reply without really reading what anyone else wrote? The point is, sometimes we feel like learning from others by reading their words, but othertimes we just want to give our two cents and don't care what others have to say about it.

I've come to realize that I won't get along with most people, especially Type A personalities. This is true online or in the real world. So when it comes to using web forums, I have to realize this and take people's words with a grain of salt. It comes down to the fact that I can't easily change other people's perceptions and actions. All I can do is become more aware of my own and try not to be that which I despise in others. Again, it's a matter of changing within yourself what you want to change in the outside world. It's not about identifying the fault in others and expecting THEM to change. Change comes from within.

Last edited by genin : 09-13-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Abasan
Malaysia

Roger, that's all well and good and i agree with you that change comes from within... Still we're not about taking sides here.

It's understandable that everyone has their own illusions on what's perfect, real or correct. But a civilized exchange and a more open mind is probably the most efficient way of developing this forum into a true repository of knowledge. Think of it as the university of aikido, sure it comes with its fair share of old codgers who have nothing better to do then to type stuff on their computer. It also has a growing retinue of eager beavers who want to absorb as much as they can before sunrise tomorrow.

Like it or not, as a collective, we could create a good or a nasty habit. And one way to avoid the bad is by voicing out our concerns.

My airy theory is that we degenerate as a society because we belittle niceities. Starting wih losing our manners, we drift into losing our morality and humanity,

Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
jester

United_States

If only life were so simple...

-It seems to be all about semantics!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
genin
United_States

Still, even a modest amount of civility can be a lot to ask, especially on a web forum. The problem will never be with the respectful and honest people who are willing to engage in open discourse.The problem will always be with the aggressive folks with bad attitudes and misguided opinions.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Nice thread. Not much ranting though. Ha, ha. Through compassion you cannot really get angry with these things though. You can only at worst feel sad.

But hey, hope springs eternal.

Regards.G.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
Abasan
Malaysia

'if only life were so simple', if only people can talk civilly, aren't those ranting? Anyway, it's open... Rant away!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #13
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
'if only life were so simple', if only people can talk civilly, aren't those ranting? Anyway, it's open... Rant away!
Well they're not exactly wild or extravagant or noisy ramblings are they? More like wishes. You want to see some ranting I think you know where to look. Ha, ha.

Most answers here seem quite considered to me.

Regards.G.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:

Everyday skirmishes are fought and i've seen wars escalate over years in the forum. And in the end? Lines are drawn, allies and enemies are made, some established their own Switzerland, some apparently went to Mars and established a colony there having had enough of earth (a few came back due to the inhospitable conditions).
we don't like the swiss, except for the knives, the cheese, the bank, and possibly some skiing resorts, but we don't like them.

where is the fun in not arguing on stuffs? without war, how can you find peace? without conflict, how can you come to resolution? without attack, how do you do aikido? without dog, how do you have hotdog and the strange number of buns, not to mention, coleslaw, onion, chili, and other stuffs that you put on it?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
without dog, how do you have hotdog and the strange number of buns, not to mention, coleslaw, onion, chili, and other stuffs that you put on it?
I'd relish a frank discussion of those issues but fear the wurst.

Last edited by Janet Rosen : 09-16-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: adding another bad pun

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I'd relish a frank discussion of those issues but fear the wurst.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
Abasan
Malaysia

Without war, can we find peace? Uhm... Yes.

They are not polar opposites really. War is man made, peace is naturally occurring. But yeah i get you. Personally though, I do believe aikido can exist without an attack, just not the techniques.

Everyone hates the Swiss cause we think they are rolling on a whole load of other people's dosh...and selling cheese with holes is just plain thievery!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
Abasan
Malaysia

Janet, you grew up with piers Anthony or something?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Janet, you grew up with piers Anthony or something?
Nope some of us are just born this way. Though I do swear like a dockworker.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
genin
United_States

My rant of the day is that I put some youtube videos up YEARS ago, and every so often I get people posting negative comments on them. At first it was mostly all postive, but now it's nothing but negativity. It'd be one thing if it was just random internet trolls, but you can tell its real people with an interest in the video's subject matter. Yet, they feel the need to post a rather stupid and meaningless insult about the video, eventhough it's several YEARS old.

The last insult was basically saying that I don't know what I'm talking about. But to be fair, in the three years since I made the video I may have learned a thing or two! So who are they insulting? Some person in the past? Hop into your Delorean and go back in time and tell the person when it actually mattered!

Last edited by genin : 10-04-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #21
Abasan
Malaysia

At first I wanted to say this doesn't qualify as a rant, just a complaint. A rant should be an outpouring of annoyance at something you perceived to be as unjust, inadequate, etc and oft times repeated.

But since you qualified that the insults have been accumulating over the last few years... Well then, rant away!

Seriously though, you're getting views 3 years running. That must mean something. Put three people in the same room and they'll probably argue if it is even a room they're in. Besides, at three years you should be the first to admit that there might be some room for improvement in whatever it is that you did...

Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #22
genin
United_States

Quote:
At first I wanted to say this doesn't qualify as a rant, just a complaint. A rant should be an outpouring of annoyance at something you perceived to be as unjust, inadequate, etc and oft times repeated.

But since you qualified that the insults have been accumulating over the last few years... Well then, rant away!

Seriously though, you're getting views 3 years running. That must mean something. Put three people in the same room and they'll probably argue if it is even a room they're in. Besides, at three years you should be the first to admit that there might be some room for improvement in whatever it is that you did...
It's kind of subjective. I mean if you put up a video on how to do Nikyo, I could post something about how your technique is wrong, or how your video quality sucks. However, maybe in the years since you have improved your technique and gotten a better camera. Which would then make absorbing insults about those issues pointless. Sort of like being berated now for things you did as a kid. Kinda pointless.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Roger Flatley wrote: View Post
My rant of the day is that I put some youtube videos up YEARS ago, and every so often I get people posting negative comments on them.
Link?

If you don't mind, of course.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
genin
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Link?

If you don't mind, of course.
Ok, I checked again and the guy's username was something like "Randomposter", which indicates to me that they just randomly post for the hell of it. I suppose that would make sense that years later it would only be people with nothing better to do than randomly post negative comments on forgotten about videos.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!