Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #26
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Hard before Soft???

Quote:
Eduardo Jauch wrote: View Post
Maybe this is a human problem. Act like if the only real option that we have is to show our teeth and hope that the other understand that if he came a bit more close to our bone, we'll bite him...

The problem is that the other has his own teeth too...

And sometimes, have big teeth is not enough to save you when the other thinks that maybe the bone that you protect with so great care is enough to both of you, or if they think that between them and you, the bone will be better with them.

To me, have the power and do not hurt is not to be "benevolent". Is to show the "teeth"

And show the teeth is not to have a choice, because sooner or later you will be caught off guard or outnumbered. Than, have big teeth will not help.

The point is, the need to "protect" yourself through the "strength" (or technique) is really inevitable, or there are other ways?

I think that there are other ways...
hmmm ...with all the teeth quotes maybe we've bitten off more than we can chew.

of course there are other ways... but your interpretation that to have power and not use it is 'to show the teeth' could be true...but could also be false.

It would depend on the sitution perhaps?

Regards

D
Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #27
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
This argument/discussion about "hard" and "soft" ("go" and "ju", ju as in jujitsu) seems to miss what "hard" and "soft" originally referred to.
Hard and soft are words that are used in many different meanings, in many different walks of life. Their meaning is not patented. The talk about "hard" and "soft" styles of aikido has been around for much longer than the current "aiki trend". I can only speak for myself, but I am not "missing out" your meaning of the term. I am simply using another.

Muscling a technique through, as valjean describes his impression of the term "hard aikido", is not what the term usually means. I think every aikido practitioner who has been around these boards for more than half a dozen years are perfectly aware of this terminology. There may be a connection to the concepts of "internal" and "external" but they are not identical.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #28
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
But do you really? The Swiss come to mind as an example of another way. They have no army to speak of yet have managed to stay out ot two World Wars and a bunch of regional skirmishes.
The Swiss are strange and are a more complicated example than I think your quote suggests... they seem to believe more in neutrality than in non-violence per se - they have a policy that's something along the lines of, not to get involved if they aren't directly attacked. I don't know how big their army actually is or how it ranks in terms of planes and tanks, etc, but they have mandatory military service for all able bodied males and voluntary for women - so a huge percentage of their adult population is basically a member of the army. They have militias and are required to maintain their weapons and keep them at home, hence have very high rates of gun ownership with, according to a quick google search, an estimated 1-3 million guns in a total population of about 7 million, including some half a million military issue assault rifles kept at home.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #29
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote: View Post
Hard and soft are words that are used in many different meanings, in many different walks of life. Their meaning is not patented. The talk about "hard" and "soft" styles of aikido has been around for much longer than the current "aiki trend". I can only speak for myself, but I am not "missing out" your meaning of the term. I am simply using another.

Muscling a technique through, as valjean describes his impression of the term "hard aikido", is not what the term usually means. I think every aikido practitioner who has been around these boards for more than half a dozen years are perfectly aware of this terminology. There may be a connection to the concepts of "internal" and "external" but they are not identical.
Oh.

Quote:
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them — particularly verbs: they're the proudest — adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs — however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

'Would you tell me please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

'Oh!' said Alice. She was too much puzzled to make any other remark.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #30
lbb
United_States

Heh, my thought about the Swiss was that before the advent of modern warfare, they were protected by living in difficult terrain that no one else wanted, and that after the advent of modern warfare, they have been protected by having control of everyone's money.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #31
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Oh.
Yes indeed, sir.

Or perhaps you have changed the entire aikido terminology in the last few years? That would be interesting, indeed.

I have trained in the softest, danciest aikido there is. I even used to have "Say it loud, I'm a dancer and I'm proud" as a signature line. I wouldn't claim it to be the most internal one, though... are you telling me I'm wrong? Then everybody should arrange seminars with me instead of with you and Dan Harden...

Last edited by Hanna B : 06-15-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #32
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

I personally think that the hard & soft scenario is being able to adapt your technique to suit the situation. I have used both in real situations depending on the ferocity of the attack and the strength of the assailant.... IE: Do I do atemi if my assailant attacks hard? You bet your life I do! If they just grab hold of me and I am able to execute a softer atemi or lock, yes.... It has varied from time to time and there is no set way.....In other words adapt to your situation..... Hard or soft.
One should practice both in equal quantities. When I say hard I mean from an uke who will not collude with you and jump off with the slightest suggestion. Someone who is willing to make it difficult for you to find the least path of resistance so you are able to explore how they react to your movement and so forth. It doesn't mean you have to beat the sh1t out of eachother, but as a tool for finding your weaknesses and strengths....
Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #33
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Or perhaps you have changed the entire aikido terminology in the last few years? That would be interesting, indeed.
Aikijujitsu. Well, I don't think that *I* have changed anything, but if you think about it, there is a distinct overlap in the discussion. Regardless, I'm not about to face a raging soft-dancer for the sake of a couple of words.

Mike
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #34
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Aikijujitsu.
The topic of this web board still is aikido. Not aikijujutsu.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #35
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Yes indeed, sir.

I have trained in the softest, danciest aikido there is. I even used to have "Say it loud, I'm a dancer and I'm proud" as a signature line. I wouldn't claim it to be the most internal one, though... are you telling me I'm wrong? Then everybody should arrange seminars with me instead of with you and Dan Harden...
That sounds interesting.....
Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #36
lbb
United_States

"I may define terms as suits me, but when you have the nerve to suggest that I don't own the language, you are humpty-dumptying." Is that the message?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #37
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

As originally stated--"Before you can be benevolent and spare people from pain /punishment/retribution you have to be in a position ... to inflict punishment in the first place"--it's obviously false. It doesn't take much thinking to see it.

Take Martin Luther King in this country. He didn't have the power to inflict any sort of punishment--cause a few riots, maybe, is all--yet he led a movement that spared many people pain, on both sides of the racial divide. Having a big stick and a belligerent attitude doesn't guarantee peace, just that people will leave you alone until someone bigger comes along.

But I do think my aikido has to work martially or I'm wasting my time. Some rambling thoughts as to why:

From weakness comes fear, and from fear comes belligerence. The confidence to deal with a situation as it is, without feeling like you must beat down and overwhelm, comes from knowing you have valid options--that you know how to respond. Aikido teaches a range of responses. It teaches how to respond to big strong attackers as well as small quick attackers. It teaches how to respond even when you feel overwhelmed and overmatched.

Physical and mental responses are not separate, any more than mind and body are separate. Aikido teaches a response based on centeredness, self-awareness, and self-sufficiency--it teaches not to be drawn off balance or over-extend or overcommit no matter what uke does or doesn't do.

Nonetheless, aikido teaches how to be aware of the attacker and understand their attack. It teaches you to see mechanical flaws in balance and posture (good), to blend with their movement and lead them off-balance (better) and to accept their attack and neutralize it in your own centeredness (best, in my value system, which you don't have to buy into).

But it won't do any of this if you don't have a martially valid situation. If you're not dealing with real attacks, with the potential to do some harm if you screw up, you aren't really practicing any of the above.

And hard vs. soft? Meh. If your soft aikido can neutralize my hard attack, it's good. If your hard aikido creates openings for me to get at you, it's bad. That's all.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #38
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
As originally stated--"Before you can be benevolent and spare people from pain /punishment/retribution you have to be in a position ... to inflict punishment in the first place"--it's obviously false. It doesn't take much thinking to see it.

Take Martin Luther King in this country. He didn't have the power to inflict any sort of punishment--cause a few riots, maybe, is all--yet he led a movement that spared many people pain, on both sides of the racial divide. Having a big stick and a belligerent attitude doesn't guarantee peace, just that people will leave you alone until someone bigger comes along.

But I do think my aikido has to work martially or I'm wasting my time. Some rambling thoughts as to why:

From weakness comes fear, and from fear comes belligerence. The confidence to deal with a situation as it is, without feeling like you must beat down and overwhelm, comes from knowing you have valid options--that you know how to respond. Aikido teaches a range of responses. It teaches how to respond to big strong attackers as well as small quick attackers. It teaches how to respond even when you feel overwhelmed and overmatched.

Physical and mental responses are not separate, any more than mind and body are separate. Aikido teaches a response based on centeredness, self-awareness, and self-sufficiency--it teaches not to be drawn off balance or over-extend or overcommit no matter what uke does or doesn't do.

Nonetheless, aikido teaches how to be aware of the attacker and understand their attack. It teaches you to see mechanical flaws in balance and posture (good), to blend with their movement and lead them off-balance (better) and to accept their attack and neutralize it in your own centeredness (best, in my value system, which you don't have to buy into).

But it won't do any of this if you don't have a martially valid situation. If you're not dealing with real attacks, with the potential to do some harm if you screw up, you aren't really practicing any of the above.

And hard vs. soft? Meh. If your soft aikido can neutralize my hard attack, it's good. If your hard aikido creates openings for me to get at you, it's bad. That's all.
How about receive softly, put down hard to make sure you don't have to repeat yourself.... dodgy
Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #39
lbb
United_States

Hugh, I think you're not making the distinction between alleviating others' pain/making others' situation better, and refraining from causing others' pain. Not that the former isn't worth talking about, but the original statement concerns the practice of restraint.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #40
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Maybe off topic, maybe another facet in this conversation:

I once mentioned the distinction hard/soft in a conversation with one of my main teachers who is usually perceived as very tough. He looked at me as if I was a little slow in learning and said something to the extent of: "If your aikido is good, you can express yourself in a hard way or in a soft way. If it is bad, there is no use making excuses about it being hard or soft." That about settled the matter for me regarding the application of technique.

Beyond technique, I find the idea that one needs to be powerful in order to chose peace persuasive, but (as others have said in other words) it really begs the question what power is, which for me is a kind of koan at the heart of aikido, and not easily settled. We mostly tend to give the answer that is easiest for us, I guess, and thereby possibly miss the lesson that is to be learned.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #41
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
But it does tie back to the quote in the original post: in order to "spare" someone punishment, you must first be capable of inflicting it. But that's a digression.

Added emphasis mine, and I agree. In addition to peace not being defined as the absence of war, I would also say it's not a passive thing. Peace takes work: all the things that make it possible for human beings to live together harmoniously take a lot of work, and it never ends. And a lot of it is very practical, getting-your-hands-dirty work, too. Digging a garden, growing food is one of the types of work that is necessary to make peace possible, just as one example. Peace isn't possible if human beings don't have the things they need to survive and thrive.
Like the gardening analogy. Thumbs up from me.

Regards.G.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #42
graham christian
England

Quote:
Michael Greenberg wrote: View Post
Hi Ron. As a relative newcomer to the art (~ 2 years), I'm struck that my instructor will often take the time, when reviewing aikido technique with us, to point out minor modifications that would transform the technique into something really nasty and "hard." I think the aim is to make some of the martial meanings of the movements clear. For someone who is really capable (i.e., not me), benevolence flows from not applying brutal or lethal force, despite the fact that aikido proficiency certainly creates openings for this.

It strikes me though, that this may be a different kind of "hardness" or "strength" in training than what is sometimes discussed in forum. Just based on reading other threads, sometimes "hardness" seems like it may be associated with the direct use of muscular strength in the performance of techniques, as an aid to overcome the balance of an aggressive and actively resisting opponent.

I don't think I've ever seen my instructor do the latter, although maybe I'm not competent to judge. And maybe I'm just misunderstanding what I've read elsewhere in the forum. But that kind of "hardness" (which perhaps is also connected to adjectives like "full force" and "high speed") seems like a somewhat different variation than what comes to my mind when I think of my own instructor.
Hi Michael.
Hope you don't mind me coming in here as your post was addressed to Ron. (I'm sure he'll get back to you) However I did like what you said, especially the first paragraph.

On those minor modifications to techniques and showing the differences, yes I love it. I personally wouldn't use the word hard there and would prefer to use the word harsh.

For example if you take shihonage. I insist in my Aikido that on the last part of it you must return the ukes hand to the inside of his shoulder by the base of the neck.(physical) Geometrically I say that must be a circle. Ki wise I say you must return their Ki back to their centre line. Sword wise I say how it's two cuts and that second cut must be down the centre line. These I don't call harsh yet they must also be very definite.

On the other hand I show how returning the hand to a position outside of the shoulder is not only out of alignment but also very harsh. This way also has variations, all harsh. Very useful for ripping out ligaments and tearing tendons so no doubt very effective for the purpose of disabling, much more pertinent to a battle field.
(Or for those with malevolent intent) However, not allowed as standard practice in my dojo.

Thanks for the post. G.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #43
graham christian
England

Quote:
Yes indeed, sir.

Well said Hanna.

Give some people a few 'internal principles' from some chinese arts and let them study them, get a load of historical 'facts' about them, learn some benefits of them and hey presto theyre experts on Aikido, their taking it to new heights, their experts on yoga, on Ki , on chi, on O'Sensei, on Tohei et al. Wow!

Some are experts on Aikido and can't do Aikido. Now that's quite an ability you must admit.

Some boast how a shihan couldn't do his Aikido on them. In their mind that makes them superior and leads them to think they know more about the core of Aikido than that Shihan. Amazing.

I found a way to stop a boxer hitting me so I must be the holder of a secret basic fundamental principle of boxing mmm. I'd better package that, dress it up and change the face of boxing forever!!! Hallelujah.

It's all good fun . G.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #44
Jauch

Dojo: Shinji Dojo/Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
Portugal

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
hmmm ...with all the teeth quotes maybe we've bitten off more than we can chew.

of course there are other ways... but your interpretation that to have power and not use it is 'to show the teeth' could be true...but could also be false.

It would depend on the sitution perhaps?

Regards

D
Hello Daren

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, maybe none of it.

I agree that, generally speaking, be able to defend ourselves is neither wrong nor right. It's simple a nature fact. If good sense was the rule in our species, we would be living in a much better world. But it isn't.

The question is that the assumption that to be "bigger" will lead to a "peace situation", or at least to a "less war situation" like in the best solution possible, is obviously a false statement. Seek to be the "strongest" in order to have the "choice" to not inflict "pain" (in a very general manner), isn't the best "behaviour", because this is really acting like an animal that to keep others away, show the "teeth". Sometimes it will work, but often this will lead to conflicts, just what it tries to avoid.

If sometimes show the teeth is the "best" we can do to try to avoid a conflict, then, at some point before, we have failed. As a "species", do not starts a conflict will bring peace? No. Peace is something that exists only if working actively towards it.

Show the teeth is always an act that originates in fear, like every aggression is also an act of fear, even if this is not so apparent.

I think that learn to see the fear in the other and in ourselves is the first step in a path that we must walk in order to actively work toward peace.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #45
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
Michael Greenberg wrote: View Post
Hi Ron. As a relative newcomer to the art (~ 2 years), I'm struck that my instructor will often take the time, when reviewing aikido technique with us, to point out minor modifications that would transform the technique into something really nasty and "hard." I think the aim is to make some of the martial meanings of the movements clear. For someone who is really capable (i.e., not me), benevolence flows from not applying brutal or lethal force, despite the fact that aikido proficiency certainly creates openings for this.

It strikes me though, that this may be a different kind of "hardness" or "strength" in training than what is sometimes discussed in forum. Just based on reading other threads, sometimes "hardness" seems like it may be associated with the direct use of muscular strength in the performance of techniques, as an aid to overcome the balance of an aggressive and actively resisting opponent.

I don't think I've ever seen my instructor do the latter, although maybe I'm not competent to judge. And maybe I'm just misunderstanding what I've read elsewhere in the forum. But that kind of "hardness" (which perhaps is also connected to adjectives like "full force" and "high speed") seems like a somewhat different variation than what comes to my mind when I think of my own instructor.
Hi Michael -

My usage of the terms hard and soft are meant to be metaphorical. I see "hard" Aikido as being primarily concerned with the imposition of nage's will upon uke and controlling all aspects of the encounter. I see "soft" Aikido as eschewing the idea of control altogether and letting the technique arise naturally from the nature of the encounter.

Of course reality isn't so black and white and there are innumerable shades of gray in-between both extremes. The original, and poorly rendered I might add, question of this thread concerned whether or not one must first learn hard Aikido before being able to master the softer side of the art.

Best,

Ron

Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #46
RonRagusa
United_States

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
Beyond technique, I find the idea that one needs to be powerful in order to chose peace persuasive, but (as others have said in other words) it really begs the question what power is, which for me is a kind of koan at the heart of aikido, and not easily settled.
That question deserves a thread of it's own Nicholas. I especially like the koan reference in your post, I think it all practitioners come up against at some point in their study.

Best,

Ron

Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #47
graham christian
England

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Heh, my thought about the Swiss was that before the advent of modern warfare, they were protected by living in difficult terrain that no one else wanted, and that after the advent of modern warfare, they have been protected by having control of everyone's money.
Now that's a very astute observation. Interesting.

As to your farming analogy it's had me looking further at the title of hard before soft. My observations:

First the study and practice, the discipline of doing so, that's hard. Once you get better aquainted and more comfortable with the method of study and practice (after getting your hands dirty) the process remains the same but to you it's easier, softer.

Then there's the application or practice on it's own. Of course it starts off very hard, very physical only and uncoordinated plus with the usual reaction of if in doubt or under pressure revert to more force. So hard comes first.

Later you may get pretty competent but are training with pretty competent or better adversaries. Then keeping in the discipline, the principles becomes hard and you have the same cycle of progress.

Same cycle repeated throughout.

Regards.G.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #48
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
I especially like the koan reference in your post, I think it all practitioners come up against at some point in their study.

Best,

Ron
Hi Ron,
I am indebted to John Crook's presentation of Ch'an there: he likes to say that many of us, if not all, have a 'life koan' at the heart of our inquiry. My own take ist that, for many people passionate about martial arts, this is a life koan having to do with power and peace, conflict and connection. And in aikido, quite possibly, hard and soft.

My current thinking is that we tend to get stuck with our habitual way of responding to those topics (we like hard, we like soft) and often fail to acknowledge that it may precisely the other aspect that we may be missing.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #49
Jauch

Dojo: Shinji Dojo/Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
Portugal

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
Hi Michael -

My usage of the terms hard and soft are meant to be metaphorical. I see "hard" Aikido as being primarily concerned with the imposition of nage's will upon uke and controlling all aspects of the encounter. I see "soft" Aikido as eschewing the idea of control altogether and letting the technique arise naturally from the nature of the encounter.

Of course reality isn't so black and white and there are innumerable shades of gray in-between both extremes. The original, and poorly rendered I might add, question of this thread concerned whether or not one must first learn hard Aikido before being able to master the softer side of the art.

Best,

Ron
Hi, Ron.

Now your question is much more clear to me.

I think that we do not have a choice in this matter.

To me, aiki, when applied to a physical encounter (in a training, for example), and by a physical point of view, is about to get all the energy that the partner is using to hit/grab you and "dissipate" it, usually in an immobilization or a throw.

To accomplish this, we must be "sensitive" to the other/surrounds, so that there is no need to "think" in what must be done. This would be your "soft" aikido.

It's impossible to get to this point if you have your mind stressed, if you feel aggressive or if you are in a "defensive" state, etc. In other words, it's impossible to do aiki if you have fear, even if it's difficult to see it.

The problem is that usually we are always in a fear state, almost all the time in our lives, not only in the tatame. Because this, our body is conditioned to certain responses that is incompatible with aiki.

We must learn, first, to overcome our own defences and automatic responses.

So, before you can simple let things happen, you must pass by the "hard" aikido step.
In this step, that starts with us learning to move ourselves in ways that we wouldn't before. We will be, most of time, thinking instead of feeling, because we are yet learning.

It's the type of training that we do and our own focus and objectives that will accelerate slow or even prevent us from getting to the soft aikido.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #50
graham christian
England

Ron. Such an innocuous looking thread and yet I'm finding it very thought provoking.

Metaphorical views, practical views, cyclical views, all kinds and most pertinent.

On looking for a common denominator ('a' not 'the') I am noticing the degree of hardness is proportional to the degree of ignorance.

Now ignorance shouldn't be seen as a put down or a belittlement but rather as a fact. I found some people in life hate to admit they don't know something and would get extremely embarassed just by saying 'I don't know' Some people find it strange when I blatantly say I don't know to a question of theirs. It's almost like you musn't say that or you can't just say that. Hence the word ignorance can induce discomfort.

However it shouldn't. There are many things I am ignorant of. When it comes to the ins and outs of computers I would say I'm quite ignorant, I don't know that much about their insides or even software and usage and I still type with two fingers. Thus many things and solving problems when they arise to do with computers are to that degree harder to me. Some of my solutions therefore are unaligned, don't solve the problem, ignorant. Sometimes I might use force, very ignorant.

Now in Aikido I hold to the AIM which is soft, no excuses. With that I acknowledge the process you need to go through to achieve the aim. But I do therefore know that when its hard or too forceful or even too harsh then although that's part of the cycle it is also due to my not aligning the principles correctly, my ignorance.

That don't mean it's wrong it means it needs to be seen as it is.
It's not optimum. Then the question becomes but am I getting better?, am I improving? etc. to put it all into perspective.

2cents.G

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!