Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Jeff Fox passes on

Posted 2011-05-12 15:31:15 by Janet Rosen

A mutual friend has informed me today that Jeff Fox died last week of a massive heart attack caused by congestive heart failure. It has been many years since he stopped teaching and training, but we thought that former students and peers of his in Iowa and Berkeley might wish to know.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: Jeff Fox passes on

Our condolences to family, friends, students and former training partners. It looks as if I am the first to post, but I guess that's okay, since it was just last night or the night before that my husband and I were sitting in the den and I mentioned Jeff, from the first Japan tour organized by Yamada Sensei, there were about 49 of us .... Jeff enlivened the tour and was an all around great person to have around, and of course his Aikido was good too.... We're sad that he passed on, but good to know that he taught and trained for years after that first tour....
Old 05-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Jeff Fox passes on

I was Jeff's student from the start of 1996 through half of 1997. I walked into his class with no real idea of what aikido was as distinct from any other martial art. He was incredibly patient with this older, awkward beginner, yet never condescending. When it was clear I was terrified to forward roll, he didn't bat an eyelash but started me on suwariwaza shomenuchi ikkyo and katatetori sumiotoshi and let me approach rolling in my own time. His approach casually assumed that I would succeed, and this was so consistent a message that I seemed to internalize it: despite having no innate talent and having to work hard every step of the way, it never occurred to me to stop showing up. It would have been incredibly easy to blow me off as not worth the effort, or to let a stray comment or even gesture shatter my self-confidence.

Jeff deserves full credit for starting me on the path that has so enriched my life. I hope the years were kind to him and his passing swift and merciful.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.