Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,640
Offline
Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

April 30th & May 1st
Aikido Eastside in Bellevue, WA

Howard Popkin and Joe Brogna will teach a two day seminar on Daito Ryu and aiki principles. One class each day will focus on hanbo, the three foot staff.

The seminar is open to all levels and all affiliations.

On-line Info and Registration

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Allen Beebe
Location: Portland, OR
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 530
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

Hooray! I'm looking forward to it.

BTW, I heard Howie say that Joe has a three foot staff, but I thought he was just exaggerating. Now George says we're going to focus one class each day on it, so I guess it must be true!

What if, um, one doesn't necessarily have just exactly that kind of equipment?? I imagine most won't be interested in cutting down their prized FOUR or SIX foot staffs. Does size matter? Obviously a pole is just too long, and besides some find great benefit in shaking theirs.

I'm not asking for myself, I cut a broken Jo down to 3 feet. (That's right! It happened once and it could happen again! ) But for others what do you recommend? Is Aikido Eastside endowed with a multitude of 3 foot staffs such that we need not concern ourselves?

~ Allen Beebe
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Allen Beebe
Location: Portland, OR
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 530
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

What? 140 hits and growing and no reply . . .

Well, I understand that not everyone may have my degree of internalized bawdy skill . . .

Please allow me to rephrase: Howie is an excellent Daito Ryu teacher and all that is required for that is a body. Joe is an excellent Hanbo teacher and I assume that a Hanbo is required for that. Is that assumption correct, and will Hanbo be in supply if one doesn't have one on hand?

Allen

~ Allen Beebe
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Pat Togher
Location: Seattle
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 88
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Hooray! I'm looking forward to it.

BTW, I heard Howie say that Joe has a three foot staff, but I thought he was just exaggerating. Now George says we're going to focus one class each day on it, so I guess it must be true!

What if, um, one doesn't necessarily have just exactly that kind of equipment?? I imagine most won't be interested in cutting down their prized FOUR or SIX foot staffs. Does size matter? Obviously a pole is just too long, and besides some find great benefit in shaking theirs.

I'm not asking for myself, I cut a broken Jo down to 3 feet. (That's right! It happened once and it could happen again! ) But for others what do you recommend? Is Aikido Eastside endowed with a multitude of 3 foot staffs such that we need not concern ourselves?
Now that is the funniest thing I have read her in a while!
See you at Aikido Eastside, Sensei!

Pat
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Allen Beebe
Location: Portland, OR
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 530
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

Quote:
Pat Togher wrote: View Post
Now that is the funniest thing I have read her in a while!
See you at Aikido Eastside, Sensei!

Pat
Whew! Thanks for writing that Pat. It is good to know that at least one person appreciates my juvenile, twisted a sense of humor. Well, my wife does too. Isn't THAT a good thing!

BTW, if when you wrote "Sensei," if you happened to be referring to me, thanks, but "Allen" will do just fine! All of my students just call me "Al," or "Allen," or . . . worse!

Anyway, looking forward to training at:

Aikido Eastside (George Ledyard)
Howard Popkin
Joe Brogna
and super cool training partners
April 30th & May 1st


It just keeps getting better and better!

Allen

~ Allen Beebe
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,640
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Whew! Thanks for writing that Pat. It is good to know that at least one person appreciates my juvenile, twisted a sense of humor. Well, my wife does too. Isn't THAT a good thing!

BTW, if when you wrote "Sensei," if you happened to be referring to me, thanks, but "Allen" will do just fine! All of my students just call me "Al," or "Allen," or . . . worse!

Anyway, looking forward to training at:

Aikido Eastside (George Ledyard)
Howard Popkin
Joe Brogna
and super cool training partners
April 30th & May 1st


It just keeps getting better and better!

Allen
Bring your own 3 ft staff. if you have one. If not, Aikido Eastside will gladly provide one for any person registered, if requested in advance.

Allen, you are a demented being... but we love you for it.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Allen Beebe
Location: Portland, OR
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 530
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

demented |diˈmentid|
adjective
suffering from dementia.
informal driven to behave irrationally due to anger, distress, or excitement


I think I must be "suffering from dementia" "due to excitement" because of the upcoming seminar.

Looking forward to it!

Allen

~ Allen Beebe
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Howard Popkin
Dojo: Popkin-Brogna 大東流合気柔術銀柔会
Location: Long Island, NY
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 644
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Pat Togher
Location: Seattle
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 88
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

ok, ok, I'll drop the Sensei ... Allen .... Wow, not so hard after all

Good to have your humor appreciated, isn't it? My kids are at the point where they think almost all of my jokes are funny. I try to enjoy it while I can, my wife just rolls her eyes.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you on the mat. Now
I better start looking around for a short jo ...

Pat

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Whew! Thanks for writing that Pat. It is good to know that at least one person appreciates my juvenile, twisted a sense of humor. Well, my wife does too. Isn't THAT a good thing!

BTW, if when you wrote "Sensei," if you happened to be referring to me, thanks, but "Allen" will do just fine! All of my students just call me "Al," or "Allen," or . . . worse!

Anyway, looking forward to training at:

Aikido Eastside (George Ledyard)
Howard Popkin
Joe Brogna
and super cool training partners
April 30th & May 1st


It just keeps getting better and better!

Allen
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
Pat Togher
Location: Seattle
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 88
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

Just wanted to bump this to the top since the seminar is this weekend.

I can't recommend this seminar strongly enough for those interested in seeing Daito Ryu. Popkin and Brogna Senseis are both amazing instructors and share a gift for making their training accessible to students from diverse backgrounds and skill levels. Ledyard Sensei is a fantastic host, the veritable soul of courtesty. I've had the chance to be on the floor with all three instructors in the past, and have always gained from it. The experience is well worth the modest seminar fee and the investment of your precious time. Attend if you are able!

Pat
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
Howard Popkin
Dojo: Popkin-Brogna 大東流合気柔術銀柔会
Location: Long Island, NY
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 644
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

Pat,

Thanks for the kind words. This seminar is going to be great fun !

Really looking forward to it !

See you soon,

Howard
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
Pat Togher
Location: Seattle
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 88
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

Always a pleasure Popkin Sensei!

Pat
Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Pat,

Thanks for the kind words. This seminar is going to be great fun !

Really looking forward to it !

See you soon,

Howard
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
Howard Popkin
Dojo: Popkin-Brogna 大東流合気柔術銀柔会
Location: Long Island, NY
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 644
United_States
Offline
Re: Howard Popkin in Seattle (4/30-5/1/2011)

Hello,

I just wanted to thank Ledyard Sensei, and his gang. Great spirit, great training, as always !!

I'm really looking forward to July and August !!!

Thanks again !

Howard
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Howard Popkin / Joe Brogna in Seattle April 30- May 1 Howard Popkin Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 2 03-16-2011 12:54 PM
Howard Popkin Sensei in Seattle George S. Ledyard Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 23 12-16-2010 09:14 PM
Why you SHOULDN'T go to a seminar presented by Howard Popkin. Allen Beebe Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 2 12-14-2010 04:40 PM
Popkin Roppokai DRAJJ in South Florida 4.22-23 Don_Modesto Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 12 05-02-2008 06:47 PM
Weekend seminar with Howard Popkin at Aikido Eastside - thanks and comments ChrisMoses Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 11 03-25-2008 03:49 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate