Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #326
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
United_States
Re: The fact that you believe a nuclear plant can explode....

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
At least those researchers have probably actually studied nuclear physics. At least those researchers have a professional stake in making sure their public statements are scientifically accurate.

Katherine
Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Did you actually read the links I provided? In particular, I might suggest this one, on fission and fission products: http://mitnse.com/2011/03/20/fission...and-radiation/

Katherine
Came upon this by accident today:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2000/tepco-0503.html

http://web.mit.edu/nse/people/faculty/kazimi.html

Didn't realize the connection was this direct before.

TEPCO admitted they knew all three operating reactors melted through, worse than a meltdown, within days of the tsunami and lied about it for months.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #327
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

A local rainwater news report:
http://www.king5.com/news/environmen...125391598.html

I'll be curious to hear what the results were, I remember thinking that helicopter was flying rather low. I was a bit unhappy since my 2 year old was sleeping, but now I'm glad to know what it was for. I'm not sure how limited the usefulness of the survey is, but at least they're taking a higher level of interest in measuring the state of things.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...copter14m.html

Quote:
Department of Health wrote:
This project is looking for radioactive material that exists in our environment. The survey isn't focused on radioactive material from Japan. The amount of material from Japan was extremely low and will not be detected by equipment on the helicopter.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #328
Tenyu
United_States

Tokyo sample with radioactivity levels higher than in Chernobyl exclusion zone.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #329
Tenyu
United_States

Highest measurement from reactor 1 ever recorded since beginning of accident - 412 sieverts per hour today.

Unconscionable media blackout around the world. Perhaps Aikiweb members in Japan can report what the news there is telling them if anything?

Doctors in Sendai now say patients' hair falling out in clumps. Doctors around Tokyo notice children with nosebleeds, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #330
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

That sounds horrible, but just think if the plant had actually "exploded," how much worse that would be.

And let's be thankful that nuclear plants cannot explode. They're too carefully designed and too well made for that to happen.

Why else do you think there have been so few reactor accidents in history? The things are almost 100% perfect.

This problem is simply the result of unforeseeable natural disasters and it's nobody's fault. And it's not as bad as they say. Only extremists want to blow this out of proportion.

The kids in Tokyo with nosebleeds and diarrhea are probably just faking it to get out of school.

The people in Sendai with their hair falling out? That's caused by the local custom for women to leave a little shampoo in their hair when they blow-dry it, to keep a fresh scent in it. Unfortunately, it makes their hair fall out. It's completely unrelated to the nearby nuclear meltdown.

Let's all be rational about this.

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Highest measurement from reactor 1 ever recorded since beginning of accident - 412 sieverts per hour today.

Unconscionable media blackout around the world. Perhaps Aikiweb members in Japan can report what the news there is telling them if anything?

Doctors in Sendai now say patients' hair falling out in clumps. Doctors around Tokyo notice children with nosebleeds, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #331
a2011
Dojo: Tokei
United Kingdom

Text on that page says
D/W: 30.6Sv/h 、S/C: 0.697Sv/h

I am guessing the graph shows 400 _milli_ Sv/hour i.e. 1000 times less (but still more than you would want to linger in).

This page
http://www.neimagazine.com/story.asp...ryCode=2060295
refers to rates of about 10 and 5 Sv/hour.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #332
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Peter Allan wrote: View Post
Text on that page says
D/W: 30.6Sv/h
Peter,

That's what it is today, my post is from yesterday. If you look in the left column, or the graph, you'll see it was 412 sieverts per hour in the dry well yesterday. Arnie Gundersen explained that corium(fuel rods which have melted together and through the bottom of the containment and concrete foundation) undergoes periodic points of extreme criticality, it's not a regulated fission as it is when undamaged rods are separate, contained and cooled in a functioning reactor core.

The 5/10 sieverts per hour are readings from workers around the building including new cracks in the ground caused by the 6.8 earthquake that just hit Fukushima. If a worker were to go near where the dry well meter is, he would die within minutes. If a worker stayed for an hour around the 10 sievert reading he would die within a week at most, most likely just a few days.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #333
a2011
Dojo: Tokei
United Kingdom

Quote:
That's what it is today, my post is from yesterday. If you look in the left column, or the graph, you'll see it was 412 sieverts per hour in the dry well yesterday.
You're right and there's an English page here:
http://radiationnews.blogspot.com/20...tor-1-dry.html

Quote:
Arnie Gundersen explained that corium(fuel rods which have melted together and through the bottom of the containment and concrete foundation) undergoes periodic points of extreme criticality, it's not a regulated fission as it is when undamaged rods are separate, contained and cooled in a functioning reactor core.
Variability in reactivity will involve natural feedback mechanisms with temperature, water availability and the quantity of neutron poisoning. To bring about a solution that ends the intermittent criticality they will need to get tools in and remove pieces of the melted fuel.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #334
Tenyu
United_States

The green locations have up to 37,000 becquerels (disintegrations per second) per square meter.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #335
Tenyu
United_States

Nearly all the readings on the map are from June. Anyone's guess what it is now.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #336
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Nearly all the readings on the map are from June. Anyone's guess what it is now.
It's wrenching. I saw in the video you linked a bit above, that actual core material from inside the reactor has been found up to a mile-and-a-half from the reactors. This was not from fuel rods in pools. It was from the containment vessel, which was cracked in "the original explosion" at the plant.

The patients in Sendai and the kids in Tokyo are heartbreaking.

Thanks for being such a resource on this.

As many have pointed out, there's pretty much a news blackout.

I will appreciate seeing anything you want to post on this.

Thanks.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #337
Tenyu
United_States

David,

Millions of people need to be evacuated right now. TEPCO and the government have known this for months yet all we get is silence, lies, and a tiny recall on beef. Dr. Shunichi Yamashita, the government's Radiation Health Risk Management Advisor, said in very clear terms he'll be dead by the time most of the children who'll die from the radiation actually do die so he can't be held responsible for their deaths! This was his response to being questioned for the government allowing exposure of 100 millisieverts per year.

Takashi Hirose in press conference.

Chris Busby in press conference.

Chris Busby discussing corporate control of 'scientific' research.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #338
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Japan's government estimates the amount of radioactive caesium-137 released by the Fukushima nuclear disaster so far is equal to that of 168 Hiroshima bombs...

The amount of caesium-137 released since the three reactors were crippled by the March 11 quake and tsunami has been estimated at 15,000 tera becquerels, the Tokyo Shimbun reported, quoting a government calculation...

That compares with the 89 tera becquerels released by "Little Boy", the uranium bomb the United States dropped on the western Japanese city in the final days of World War II, the report said.
The estimate was submitted by Prime Minister Naoto Kan's cabinet to a lower house committee on promotion of technology and innovation, the daily said.
The Telegraph

Will it be near 300 Hiroshima bombs another six months from now?

How many prefectures are becoming permanently uninhabitable?

Will the orange and red dots overtake the green ones in the Tokyo map?

Less than 20 new total views on the last Chris Busby press conference video since I posted it, not sure if anyone but David cares.

Permanent genetic damage to future generations of the Japanese is worse than mere genocide.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #339
Tenyu
United_States

Toronto reading with a high quality geiger counter.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #340
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Toronto reading with a high quality geiger counter.
Odd how calm and careless (without any safety protocols) he was despite the "dangerous" levels (~5 times the level where people are warned to be cautious and make official reports) he's recording. In fact, I wonder if he's bothered reporting his data other than via youtube.

I'd be curious to know more about his training. I'm not a trained user, but I know of a few tests that one is supposed to use to validate readings that he did not use. I suspect that he's reading beta radiation rather than gamma radiation.

IAC, if you're curious about accurate readings across the US, the EPA shares the following constantly measured data here:
http://epa.gov/radnet/radnet-data/index.html

And for people who know that all government agencies lie all the time, you can look at a network of volunteers readings that are shared here:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/03/1...ts-in-the-usa/

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #341
Tenyu
United_States

First mention on TV parts of Tokyo are not safe.

Dangerous radiation reading on Tokyo train.

Fukushima Prefecture residents consigned to cancer/death because evacuation considered bad for business.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #342
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
Odd how calm and careless (without any safety protocols) he was despite the "dangerous" levels
Touching a radioactive cloth for a few seconds isn't that dangerous, it's external radiation that can be scrubbed off your hands. Personally I would use gloves still. Ingesting or inhaling hot particles is what's really dangerous because they'll permanently lodge inside vital organs.

Quote:
(~5 times the level where people are warned to be cautious and make official reports) he's recording. In fact, I wonder if he's bothered reporting his data other than via youtube.
The source of radiation could be local to Toronto and not Fukushima. Either way, reporting it into the city's not going to change anything, the nuclear lobby's too powerful.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #343
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Tenyu. A bit of light hearted relief for you in the form of trivia but on the subject of radiation.

Did you know that Brazil nuts contain 1000 times more radium than other foods?

In fact if you walked into a secure nuclear facility with a pocket full of brazils it would set off the alarms.

Regards.G.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #344
Tenyu
United_States

Graham,

I looked up the Brazil nuts, 1000 times radium over other foods isn't worrisome when all it amounts to is 33% greater than normal background. We've now learned they should be eaten sparingly but this is absurdly irrelevant to the impact of the ongoing fallout from Daiichi.

In other fallout news, this Michigan plant is currently spewing radioactive steam after having its second emergency shutdown within two weeks. The Rubber Stamp Commission(NRC) assures nothing to worry about for local residents, but if this picture is indicative of the amount of tritium steam coming out then I'd be very concerned.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #345
graham christian
England

Quote:
Graham,

I looked up the Brazil nuts, 1000 times radium over other foods isn't worrisome when all it amounts to is 33% greater than normal background. We've now learned they should be eaten sparingly but this is absurdly irrelevant to the impact of the ongoing fallout from Daiichi.

In other fallout news, this Michigan plant is currently spewing radioactive steam after having its second emergency shutdown within two weeks. The Rubber Stamp Commission(NRC) assures nothing to worry about for local residents, but if this picture is indicative of the amount of tritium steam coming out then I'd be very concerned.
Come on now Tenyu I said for a bit of light relief. I fully understand the dangers of radiation and the scene you describe along with David Orange. I'm sure a lot of people here are interested in your updates and respect your tenacity.

You can make it a goal of yours and well done but be careful if it turns into a compulsion. Space out what you want to do about it and do it in an effective manner by all means.

Regards.G.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #346
Tenyu
United_States

Your 'light relief' sounded like the distractive disinformation of Pluto-san. Your lack of knowledge and flippant attitude in previous posts on the environment, energy, and the economy doesn't aspire confidence you fully understand the effects at all. Nor is saying staying educated what's going on in the world is 'compulsive' behavior. I can and do joke about Fukushima in real life, but here where members lives are much more affected than mine by the fallout, coupled with a general media blackout, 'having fun' in this thread shouldn't be our priority.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #347
graham christian
England

Quote:
Your 'light relief' sounded like the distractive disinformation of Pluto-san. Your lack of knowledge and flippant attitude in previous posts on the environment, energy, and the economy doesn't aspire confidence you fully understand the effects at all. Nor is saying staying educated what's going on in the world is 'compulsive' behavior. I can and do joke about Fukushima in real life, but here where members lives are much more affected than mine by the fallout, coupled with a general media blackout, 'having fun' in this thread shouldn't be our priority.
Well there you are, two different approaches. It seems mine is the reverse of yours. I can add humour on these forums yet in life I do not joke about Fukashima and such things.

That my friend makes me no better or worse than you and neither does it colour my view on you with any negative insinuations.

I think the general tone of my last post was validation of your efforts. Do you not like validation?

Have fun.G.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #348
Tenyu
United_States

Gundersen reports over 30% of thousands of Fukushima children have tested positive for thyroid lumps(formerly known as tumors).

Further information.

Much faster than anyone expected.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #349
David Orange
United_States

Tenyu,

I've now read that the crucial damage was done to the reactors in the earthquake and that the tsunami just made it harder to deal with.

I've read that they had to seriously consider evacuating Tokyo.

I've read that another earthquake around Fukushima could set off events at those plants that could really send radiation soaring and disperse it dangerously over an undeniably wide area, forcing extensive evacuations. But what are the chances of another earthquake hitting Fukushima or Sendai?

Unbelievable that this has faded so far from common consciousness. Thanks for keeping a post going.

Best to you.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #350
Tenyu
United_States

David,

It's been known since August last year the earthquake caused the coolant pipes to burst, guaranteeing a triple melt-through before the tsunami hit. Back up generators are irrelevant if the coolant can't reach the reactors.

Small earthquakes were hitting Fukushima just yesterday less than 20 km from Daiichi. Japan has had many earthquakes in the past year, and it's possible for any of the reactor buildings to collapse with their current condition given a strong enough earthquake. I doubt this will happen, although small earthquakes can agitate the corium causing increased sporadic criticality and release. Forced evacuations should have happened 11 months ago of Fukushima and parts of surrounding prefectures. The only reason it's not in people's consciousness is the media decided for it not to be. Obviously this is true for most things of significance.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!