Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Daniel Lloyd
Dojo: Nathan Dojo
Australia
Jun Akiyama

Hey Jun,

Out of curiosity's sake, do you participate in any of the discussions or do you just focus on maintaining order? I just figured/assumed you'd get bored from time to time so I thought I'd have a chat with you. Find out about you.

What style of Aikido do you practice? What's training like? What's your lineage for your particular dojo? Have you only practiced Aikido or have you dabbled in other arts?

I'm all ears. And anyone else who would like to answer those questions themselves [for/about themselves] feel free to do so. That's all, just answer those questions. Nothing more.

Cheers.

Daniel
Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
akiy

Re: Jun Akiyama

Hi Daniel,

I tend to keep out of participating in the forums as my time is limited. Also, I prefer not to share particular details about my own training as I do not wish to color this forum with any particular bent. I hope that makes sense.

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi Daniel,

I tend to keep out of participating in the forums as my time is limited. Also, I prefer not to share particular details about my own training as I do not wish to color this forum with any particular bent. I hope that makes sense.

Best,

-- Jun
I understand where you're coming from, but I must admit, I've been curious about you and your training myself!

I have, a few times, been talking with other Aikido students about something that happened on Aikiweb, and said, or heard said, "Man I wonder what Jun thought about that one".

In some ways it feels like I sort of know you, because I see the direction you're taking Aikiweb, read your posts, and see your frustrations. But on the other hand, I really don't know anything about you.

If you ever do feel like sharing, I for one am interested!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Jun is like the man behind the curtain in Oz. The eternal man of mystery.

I actually respect the fact that he lets us do our thing. He truly is a moderator. If we get out of line, he either reminds us or puts us in the corner if needed. I think we all forget exactly how busy he is keeping this thing going. It is a lot of work.

THANKS JUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
AsimHanif

I had the opportunity to introduce myself to Jun at Endo Sensei's last visit to DC.
Jun was very gracious and humble. I think we were both happy to put face to 'pen' finally. I also saw Jun take beautiful ukemi from Endo Sensei.
Whatever his 'style' may be, I got the impression he was a nice guy who likes aikido.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Without disclosing the story that is not mine to tell, I can attest to the man's integrity, commitment, and skill.

His contribution is to provide a forum to collect and to be a catalyst to the conversation.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Without disclosing the story that is not mine to tell, I can attest to the man's integrity, commitment, and skill.

His contribution is to provide a forum to collect and to be a catalyst to the conversation.
Same here.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I've met Jun, and really admire him on and off the mat. All I can say is,

THANKS.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote: View Post
I had the opportunity to introduce myself to Jun at Endo Sensei's last visit to DC.
Jun was very gracious and humble. I think we were both happy to put face to 'pen' finally. I also saw Jun take beautiful ukemi from Endo Sensei.
Whatever his 'style' may be, I got the impression he was a nice guy who likes aikido.
I too met Jun at Endo Sensei's last trip to Montreal; I agree, nice guy.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 AM   #10
Beholder

Somebody has to mention the action figure.

OK here's the action figure.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

It's funny, one day I was wondering if Jun had a dojo, so I searched Jun Akiyama, I came across the wrestler; I was a bit perplexed!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Met him briefly up at the Aikiweb seminar a few years back. Didn't train with him directly but saw him on the mat. Nothin' but respect from me.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I believe I had the chance to meet him one time while I was in Japan, but I missed the opportunity.
...and speaking of opportunity, I'll take this one to also say thank you. I think he does a great job here!
Take care all,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

What. Job?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
What. Job?
He created this site singlehandedly.
He maintains it singlehandedly.
It is not his dayjob. It is a labor of love.
Being both a supporting member and at times buying sponsored links, I assure you the income generated from those things cannot possibly cover the price of server, his time, etc.
On top of, yes, actively reading threads and replying to private messages concerning moderation issues.

Janet Rosen
Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
What. Job?
Geez, Alejandro, did someone step on your cookie? Even my 10-year-old doesn't sulk around as much as some of you. Seriously, it isn't healthy, get over it.

I would suggest you guys put your money (literally) where your mouth is, put up your own discussion board and moderate it as you see fit. Then you can happily say what you want to say the way you want to say it. And run it the way you want. And life will be good. If it turns out to be a superior place then "they will come".

Old 03-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #17
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Geez, Alejandro, did someone step on your cookie? Even my 10-year-old doesn't sulk around as much as some of you. Seriously, it isn't healthy, get over it.

I would suggest you guys put your money (literally) where your mouth is, put up your own discussion board and moderate it as you see fit. Then you can happily say what you want to say the way you want to say it. And run it the way you want. And life will be good. If it turns out to be a superior place then "they will come".
Totally agree. Grow up, man.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Alejandro, since Janet's answer to you was the correct and obvious answer, part of me suspects that you would define Jun's job as "getting in the way of Alejandro's fun."
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #19
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
Totally agree. Grow up, man.
I'm more than grown up, thanks kiddo.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
So sorry my old self cannot dig through your slang.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #21
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
Alejandro, since Janet's answer to you was the correct and obvious answer, part of me suspects that you would define Jun's job as "getting in the way of Alejandro's fun."
He regularly does. Good observation. Besides, defending one's POW here is not fun at all, but somebody must do it.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #22
Flintstone
Spain

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
He created this site singlehandedly.
He maintains it singlehandedly.
It is not his dayjob. It is a labor of love.
Being both a supporting member and at times buying sponsored links, I assure you the income generated from those things cannot possibly cover the price of server, his time, etc.
On top of, yes, actively reading threads and replying to private messages concerning moderation issues.
You have your opinion based on your experiences with the man. Well, me too I do have mine. Is it really so hard to understand?

Listen, I do have my reasons to disagree with his moderation. I said it in private before and I publicly state it here once again. Now three/four people got offended by my opinion because it differs from theirs. Well, grow up men, he can be the creator, the moderator, the ruler, the Emperor... but he's just a man and yes, he does make mistakes. But that's just my opinion.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #23
Janet Rosen

I'm not "offended." You are ascribing motives or feelings to me that don't exist.
I read the words you wrote: "What. Job?" - which doesn't really tell me anything specific about your opinion other than that you wonder what exactly he is doing.
I replied specifically to those words. I can't read your mind, only your words.
If this is not a discussion board in which we have such a discussion, what ARE we doing here, any of us?

Janet Rosen
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
Flintstone
Spain

Nope, Janet. What I wonder is what exactly "he is doing great". Because... in my own opinion, his moderation is NOT a great job, as Matthew said.

That said, some of you require from me to grow up just because they obviously believe Jun's doing a great moderation job and don't understand that maybe other people's feelings are not the same.

So yes, if we cannot discuss what ARE we doing here? Or do we all need to agree all the time about all the matters?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #25
Janet Rosen

Well, seems to me you and I have cordially agreed to disagree - works for me.

Janet Rosen