Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #26
Cyril Landise

Dojo: Midwest Aikido Center (USAF-Chicago)
United_States
Re: Where can I find a dojo with an Shihan Instructor?

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Over 50 years ago I asked Mikoto ` Masahilo` Nakazono sensei for a letter to visit the AikiKai, he looked surprised, and asked " WHY ? " I thought that was a bit of a dumb question, but I did not dare show that in my expession,,,,
Henry Ellis
British Aikido History
www.british-aikido.com
Henry,
A mere 25 years ago, I asked Akira Tohei Shihan for a letter of introduction to Aikikai Hombu Dojo and Shirata Sensei's dojo in Yamagata, Japan.
He also had a one word answer, "Why?", and I too thought it was kind of a dumb question.
Although I had a wonderful and memorable Aikido pilgrimage, it sometimes takes a long journey away to really appreciate home.
Cyril Landise
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #27
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
When I last met with Chiba Shihan, he did speak of easing down on his travels, `slowing down a little`, I just don't see full retirement. one never knows ? To study with one his senior students will give a person a chance to study on occasion with one of last of the ``few`` direct students of Osensei.
My sensei was/is a student of his and that was the impression I got. I could be wrong, but what I know is my sensei keeps encouraging us to train with Chiba sensei while we still can....

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #28
Larry Feldman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Katherine makes a good point about the teaching schedule.

Imaizumi teaches the classes five nights a week, including the beginner classes.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #29
edshockley
Dojo: Aiklikai of Philadelphia

I think all of the suggestions are wonderful instructors and I would be proud to study with any of them. (I have trained at seminars with many from the list.) I was taught, however, that "aikido teaches." Training regularly with diligent partners and finding a sensei or as a guide with a supplement of seminars to create contrast has been a formula that should allow any student to develop to the limits of his potential. As someone said earlier, rank is not the issue but rather the ability of an instructor to communicate with you. I would, however, also add Sato Sensei to your Chicago list.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com