Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
John.Minker
United_States
Where can I find a dojo with an Shihan Instructor?

Does anyone know if there is such a dojo in Illinois?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Where can I find a dojo with an Shihan Instructor?

Quote:
John Minker wrote: View Post
John

Just curious, why does the dojo need to have a Shihan ?

Henry Ellis
www.british-aikido.com
Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
John.Minker
United_States

Henry,

Personal reasons, but I will share them with you.

Since I do not have the money to travel to Japan and learn aikido there for a few years I want to get as close to i"the real deal" as I can.

I want to learn from a japanese teacher and as highly ranked as possible.

Last edited by John.Minker : 03-09-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Hellis
England

Quote:
Henry,

Since I do not have the money to travel to Japan and learn aikido there for a few years I want to get as close to i"the real deal" as I can.

John

Save your money and try to study with TK Chiba Shihan or a student of his..Over 50 years ago I asked Mikoto ` Masahilo` Nakazono sensei for a letter to visit the AikiKai, he looked surprised, and asked " WHY ? " I thought that was a bit of a dumb question, but I did not dare show that in my expession,,,,I replied that I thought it would be good for my Aikido career, Nakazono Sensei replied with a loud laugh " Henry, there is no need to visit Japan, all the best teachers are in the West !!! ".. that is more true today than all those years ago...

Henry Ellis

British Aikido History
www.british-aikido.com
Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Henry,

if you want the real deal, you would have better luck study under one of O Sensei's uchideshi. there are 3, that i heard of, in the U.S.: TK Chiba (west coast), Shizuo Imaizumi (New York), Misugi Saotome (FL). and the westerner uchideshi: Robert Frager, Rober Nadeau.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
scott.swank
Dojo: Southern Nevada Aikikai
United_States

Akira Tohei shihan passed away 12 years ago, but his dojo and students in Chicago are still an outstanding opportunity. They have Yokota shihan out from hombu every fall, and Yamada shihan has the USAF yudanshakai seminar there every Spring.

Toyoda shihan also left a strong legacy in Chicago, with some of his students now associated with Chiba shihan.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
kewms

And the correlation between rank, Japanese ancestry, and teaching skills is?

It is usually safe to assume that any shihan, and certainly any of O Sensei's uchi deshi, will have top level aikido skills. It's not so safe to assume that such a person can effectively transmit his knowledge to anyone, and particularly to non-Japanese speaking beginners.

Remember also that most shihan level instructors have very heavy seminar schedules, and therefore will very often be absent from "their" dojos.

Katherine
Old 03-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
if you want the real deal, you would have better luck study under one of O Sensei's uchideshi. there are 3, that i heard of, in the U.S.: TK Chiba (west coast), Shizuo Imaizumi (New York), Misugi Saotome (FL). and the westerner uchideshi: Robert Frager, Rober Nadeau.
You could also add Roy Suenaka (Charleston, Sc) to that list.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
Howard Popkin
Dojo: Popkin-Brogna 大東流合気柔術銀柔会
United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
You could also add Roy Suenaka (Charleston, Sc) to that list.
and Yamada...
Old 03-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
Howard Popkin
Dojo: Popkin-Brogna 大東流合気柔術銀柔会
United_States

John,

If you want the real deal, plus ... go see Choate Sensei.

http://www.asu.org/chicago/

Best regards,

Howard
Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

Quote:
Oh Phi....

While Frager and Nadeau have a claim to having studied directly with the founder, I don't believe either of them has ever claimed to have been live-in students.

There is also some other fellow who teaches in New York, definitely a Shihan, sometimes referred to as an uchi-deshi, though sticklers insist he was a soto-deshi. I think his last name is Yamada.

Beyond that, there are a bunch of people with pieces of paper designating them as "Shihan" or "Shidoin" or "Fukushidoin" in the USAF. For the first of that list, ASU folk tend to refer simply to "the rokudans," and nobody much cares about the other titles.

But titles aside, what you really want is a dojo with a deep instructional bench, classes morning noon and evening, and a winning lottery ticket so you don't have to work aside from training. This will probably leave you incapable of understanding the day-to-day lives of the people you hope to train down the line, abut then, as a gaijin you won't be of much interest to them because, as far as they're concerned you're not a real Shihan even if you have a piece of paper that says you are because your eyes are the wrong shape and you never drew the Founder's bath, so it's a wash except for the fact that you may have mad aikido skilz. And if you think that's all you really want, you may not have thought about it very carefully. Or maybe you just have laser like focus that escapes those of us with varying degrees of ADD ranging from the socially mandatory to the totally dysfunctional.

YMMV,

FL

Old 03-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
John.Minker
United_States

Thanks everyone for your input. This has been extremely helpful to me. I plan on going to college in Florida so will definitely see where Misugi Saotome is located. Henry I also have to thank you for making me realize it is not necessary anymore to go to japan to find the best aikido teachers.

Thanks
John
Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

"real deal" Aikido is a subjective thing. Different Shihan are going to give you different lessons, sometimes contradictory lessons. You need to find YOUR Aikido, that is the most "real deal" Aikido anyone can have.

In order to do that, you simply need a decent teacher. Someone who's had some experience teaching, and a decent pedigree. Learn your fundamentals well, and question them often. No one can give you Aikido, you've got to discover it for yourself. You don't need a Shihan for that.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
Matt Fisher
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. This has been extremely helpful to me. I plan on going to college in Florida so will definitely see where Misugi Saotome is located. Henry I also have to thank you for making me realize it is not necessary anymore to go to japan to find the best aikido teachers.

Thanks
John
John,

Saotome Sensei does not teach public classes in Florida; that is where he lives. He has a small dojo on his personal property but visitation is by invitation only. However, a number of his senior students are located in Florida and run their own dojos.

Matt
Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Fred Little wrote: View Post
But titles aside, what you really want is a dojo with a deep instructional bench, classes morning noon and evening, and a winning lottery ticket so you don't have to work aside from training. This will probably leave you incapable of understanding the day-to-day lives of the people you hope to train down the line, abut then, as a gaijin you won't be of much interest to them because, as far as they're concerned you're not a real Shihan even if you have a piece of paper that says you are because your eyes are the wrong shape and you never drew the Founder's bath, so it's a wash except for the fact that you may have mad aikido skilz. And if you think that's all you really want, you may not have thought about it very carefully. Or maybe you just have laser like focus that escapes those of us with varying degrees of ADD ranging from the socially mandatory to the totally dysfunctional.

FL
Fred, you have fallen in my trap of baiting you to spill out more information!

lets face it, we are very dysfunctional. who would spend lots of money paying folks to tenderize our bodies by beating us with the earth. not only we don't protest such treatments, we revel in it. at the moment, i can't decide if we are sadists or masochist or both (masosadist. hey, i just invented a new word, like Al Gore invented the internet!). still trying to wrap my mind around ADD masochist.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
.. . still trying to wrap my mind around ADD masochist.
..speed dating for submissives?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

John,

What rank are you in aikido? If you are a beginner (say, 5th kyu or lower), then finding a teacher who is going to teach aikido in a way that makes sense to you is much more important than finding someone with high rank. I'm very much a beginner myself, and I find that some of my dojo's shodans are much more helpful as teachers than some of the higher ranked instructors. This isn't because their aikido is better; it's because the way they teach fits the way I learn better.

Once you've spent many years training, then it's time to go looking for very experienced instructors who can show you things you haven't seen yet.

What's more, if you're at a dojo that is part of a larger organization (most are), you'll probably have the opportunity to train under shihan instructors at seminars.

My martial arts blog: The Young Grasshopper
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

I totally agree with Matthew.

Shihan in itself doesn't mean that one is a direct student of the founder just that you have reached a certain level of training/instruction.

It is actually (in the west) a teaching rank awarded to those teachers of 6th Dan or above - or at least that's the case in the Aikikai.

Beware those who award themselves Shihan status - there are a number around in all countries.

But as Matthew says at first you will probably learn more from a lower grade teacher.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Dear John,

There are several Aikido groups in the Chicago area affiliated with various shihan. If you are near Beecher, Illinois (near Lenox) 704 Dixie Highway, Beecher IL 60401 (phone 708-946-6614) a friend from the Wisconsin summer camp in the late 1970's Wendy Whited is teaching there. She was promoted to sixth dan by
Saotome Sensei in 1999. On her website for "Inaka (Country) Dojo" ..... on a road that goes through cornfields...... I found that she is a teacher by profession. She has background in other martial arts also, Iaido, Judo and Shorei Ryu Karate ....

Florida has dojo of the ASU and the USAF affiliations so once you get there there are seminars .... The USAF Annual Seminar usually held in Nov or Dec has Yamada Sensei and other Shihans attending , hosted by Florida Aikikai on the east coast of Florida... and the Orlando dojo Shindai Aikikai affiliated with ASU also has seminars .....John Messores was one of Saotome Sensei's original students in Sarasota if you go on the ASU website you can find where he is teaching or ask the Orlando people....

I'm sure all of us who have posted on this thread will be interested to know where you visit and where you continue your training both in Illinois and Florida ....

sincerely, Daian from Connecticut
Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #20
kumachan
United_States

Quote:
My suggestion would be to observe some of Kevin Choate sensei's classes at the Chicago Aikikai.

Last edited by kumachan : 03-10-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
John

Save your money and try to study with TK Chiba Shihan or a student of his.
It is my understanding that Chiba Sensei has retired from teaching at his dojo in California. If you look up his dojo, he is not the head instructor, it is Deena Drake. Chiba Sensei is still teaching at seminars and such, but he has cut back on his schedule dramatically and his intention is to cut back more and more until he fully retires. If you want to train with him, take the opportunity soon and go to a regional seminar or summer camp that he is attending. There is one this summer in Portland, OR.

I agree with the others though that just because someone has a certain title or ethnicity doesn't necessarily make them a better teacher. It just means they have put in the time and have been teaching a certain length of time and run their own dojo. It is similar to shidoin and fukushidoin. You can have those ranks (or higher) and not have those titles. Sure, they are nice, but it doesn't mean their aikido is better. Best of luck.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #22
tlk52
Dojo: Aikido of Park Slope/NY Aikikai
United_States

"some other fellow who teaches in New York, definitely a Shihan, sometimes referred to as an uchi-deshi, though sticklers insist he was a soto-deshi. I think his last name is Yamada."

(unless this is being said in humor) considering Yamada sensei's history and his place in the history of aikido inthe U.S., this devaluing is kind of offensive and clearly political.

Last edited by tlk52 : 03-10-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #23
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Toby Kasavan wrote: View Post
"some other fellow who teaches in New York, definitely a Shihan, sometimes referred to as an uchi-deshi, though sticklers insist he was a soto-deshi. I think his last name is Yamada."

(unless this is being said in humor) considering Yamada sensei's history and his place in the history of aikido inthe U.S., this devaluing is kind of offensive and clearly political.
To me its clearly humor !

One thing that seems to be missing in this thread is that when assessing a potential instructor...a very serious decision...rather than look to titles, rank etc.....why not look at the persons students.

Good students indicate good transmission.

Pieces of paper MAY indicate nothing.

FWIW

D
Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #24
kumachan
United_States

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
Good students indicate good transmission.
This raises some interesting questions, for me at least: What is it, ultimately, that aikidoka seek from an aikido instructor? How are aikidoka to determine an instructor's understanding of "aiki" versus strong kihon waza?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #25
Hellis
England

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
It is my understanding that Chiba Sensei has retired from teaching at his dojo in California. If you look up his dojo, he is not the head instructor, it is Deena Drake. Chiba Sensei is still teaching at seminars and such, but he has cut back on his schedule dramatically and his intention is to cut back more and more until he fully retires. If you want to train with him, take the opportunity soon and go to a regional seminar or summer camp that he is attending. There is one this summer in Portland, OR.

I agree with the others though that just because someone has a certain title or ethnicity doesn't necessarily make them a better teacher. It just means they have put in the time and have been teaching a certain length of time and run their own dojo. It is similar to shidoin and fukushidoin. You can have those ranks (or higher) and not have those titles. Sure, they are nice, but it doesn't mean their aikido is better. Best of luck.
When I last met with Chiba Shihan, he did speak of easing down on his travels, `slowing down a little`, I just don't see full retirement. one never knows ? To study with one his senior students will give a person a chance to study on occasion with one of last of the ``few`` direct students of Osensei.

Henry Ellis
Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Hellis : 03-13-2011 at 03:44 AM.

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches