Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-15-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
guest1234567
Spain
Customs in the different countries

When I go in our dojo early after bowing to the photo of O'Sensei before we begin our class I greet all the collegues, some of them with two kisses in both cheecks. When they pass a test we also congratulate them with two kisses. When we go to a seminar we greet the collegues we know with kisses and when we meet new ones do the same. I kissed Ch. Tissier when I saw him in Malaga after going to 2 of his seminars before. We everytime kiss Frank Noel Sensei when we see him again and when we say good bye. I think it is a good custom in Spain and in most of latin countries in Argentina too, but there we use only one kiss.I asked a friend of Gran Canaria who lives in Kobe, Japan about japanese customs, he told me it would be very strange if I would do so in Japan, although they would understand because I'm not japanese. I think it is good to express the feelings.
I wonder how it is in your countries?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Re: Customs in the different countries

Do you think that cultures that doesn´t kiss people when they greet dont express the same feelings?

Quote:
Carina Reinhardt wrote: View Post
. I think it is good to express the feelings.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
Do you think that cultures that doesn´t kiss people when they greet dont express the same feelings?
Maybe, I don't know, I'm used to that since childhood, for me the other form is very cold. I also use that with my children, when we speak by phone I cannot kiss them but can say that I love them. I like this warm form a lot.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hi,

in Belgium there is also the custom to kiss people on one cheek when greeting. But one of our teachers tells us NOT to do that on the tatami, that would be impolite. The other kisses on the tatami...

For me it doesn't matter. I can as well live with a kiss, an embrace, a handshake or a bow. Whatever is locally accepted. That's for aikidokas or colleagues...with my kids, obviously, I'd feel very sad if there were no kisses or embraces!

Best regards,

Eva
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
guest1234567
Spain

Hi Eva,
I like your countrymen a lot, they always give 3 kisses
About the northern countries, people change when the live in Spain, they almost inmediately take our customs. I have a swedish collegue, who is just like a canarian
Old 02-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #6
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

I'm thinking of Brezhnev meeting Tissier...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
I'm thinking of Brezhnev meeting Tissier...
Better Putin who does Judo
By the way I found an interesting article about unexpressed feelings
http://www.positive-way.com/newpage3.htm
Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

I was raised and still live in the Berkshires of New England. We are not big kissers. I shake hands when I meet someone or want to congratulate them.
I notice that people from the city (new York or Boston) and Long Island seem to be more about kissing.
Interesting.
Mary
Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
When I go in our dojo early after bowing to the photo of O'Sensei before we begin our class I greet all the collegues, some of them with two kisses in both cheecks. When they pass a test we also congratulate them with two kisses. When we go to a seminar we greet the collegues we know with kisses and when we meet new ones do the same. I kissed Ch. Tissier when I saw him in Malaga after going to 2 of his seminars before. We everytime kiss Frank Noel Sensei when we see him again and when we say good bye. I think it is a good custom in Spain and in most of latin countries in Argentina too, but there we use only one kiss.I asked a friend of Gran Canaria who lives in Kobe, Japan about japanese customs, he told me it would be very strange if I would do so in Japan, although they would understand because I'm not japanese. I think it is good to express the feelings.
Hope that does not catch on here

I will keep a sponge and towell ready just in case

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I was raised and still live in the Berkshires of New England. We are not big kissers. I shake hands when I meet someone or want to congratulate them.
I notice that people from the city (new York or Boston) and Long Island seem to be more about kissing.
Interesting.
Mary
Thanks Mary, The people from the citys are taking our good costums
Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Hope that does not catch on here

I will keep a sponge and towell ready just in case

Henry Ellis
then better do not come here, because if you would, I'd tell every female collegue of the dojo to give you three kisses

Last edited by guest1234567 : 02-15-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Thanks Mary, The people from the citys are taking our good costums
Why do you qualify them as 'good'?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Hellis
England

Quote:
then better not come here, because if you would, I'd tell every female collegue of the dojo to give you three kisses
Carina

I am already packing x

Henry Ellis
Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I don't, and I've lived in both places and I work in Boston now. I never see people in Boston kiss in greeting unless they're very close friends, and even then it's unusual...sort of like it's a European affectation perhaps.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Why do you qualify them as 'good'?
I should say they are good for me
Demetrio for you the offer I did to Henry is no valid. If you came to our dojo you would receive from all of us many iriminages, or any other throw technik you like
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I don't, and I've lived in both places and I work in Boston now. I never see people in Boston kiss in greeting unless they're very close friends, and even then it's unusual...sort of like it's a European affectation perhaps.
Depends on which urban subculture you are part of. In the arts, more common. In some ethnic communities, more common. But usually NOT the double or triple kiss, so I 've never seen it as European.
Most of my older E Coast friends, like me, are kissers; here in Calif a simple hug is much more common. In the dojo, we bow.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #17
guest1234567
Spain

A hug is also nice Janet, it is warm.. We give a hug to encourage somebody who needs it
Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #18
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
If you came to our dojo you would receive from all of us many iriminages, or any other throw technik you like
I'll pull guard. If done right no can defense
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

It depends a bit. Close relatives kiss hello and goodbye. Friends and coworkers may be kissed when congratulating. We kiss three times on the cheek. And men don't kiss men.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
guest1234567
Spain

Yes I know Dave, I work with many dutch men and women together, all the reps taking care of our tourists..
Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #21
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I don't kiss anyone as a greeting and if I don't know you, you aren't getting a hug either. Call me cold or whatever, but that is just too personal for me. I will shake hands though. If I get to know you a bit, then a hug or kiss may be warranted upon a greeting, but other then that... no touchie please.

I have been in the awkward situation of being hugged and kissed by a stranger and though I didn't take offense to it, I didn't exactly welcome the gesture. I can usually tell if it is made with sincerity, so it is hard for me to really be offended by it.

To each their own I guess. As for people in NYC being kissers, all of my friends in NY aren't big kissers. I imagine it depends on your circle though. If your family or area you live in tends to be oriented towards a certain ethnicity, then I can easily see this happening.

In my family/friend circle gestures like that are reserved for good friends and family. I have no problem hugging a dojo-mate if they passed an exam (if I have known them for any length at all).

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #22
guest1234567
Spain

It is ok Ashley it is just what you get used since childhood, what you learn at home, at school. I grow up in Argentina and are now living almost 30 years in Spain, here it is strange if you don't greet somebody with a kiss, for you it is the other way.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #23
Hellis
England

Carina

When I read your posts, I smile sometimes at your exuberance for Aikido and life, with respect, you have almost a childlike enthusiasm
for all things.. There are few on here that I bother to reply to, or would care to meet.... If ever I get the chance to get some sun on these old bones in Gran Canaria I will visit your dojo.

Henry Ellis
Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
guest1234567
Spain

Thank a lot Henry, you'll be very welcome Yes I like aikido very much and enjoy it a lot with our nice group. Next saturday the 19th we'll have a free open door aikido training in the evening, the 3 teacher of our group will do a part, it sure will be very interesting..
Old 02-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Hellis
England

Quote:
Thank a lot Henry, you'll be very welcome Yes I like aikido very much and enjoy it a lot with our nice group. Next saturday the 19th we'll have a free open door aikido training in the evening, the 3 teacher of our group will do a part, it sure will be very interesting..
Carina

Keep that door open.

I am going to Albuquerque New Mexico USA soon, to work on my
next book, and possibly my last.
I can assure you that I would love to visit Gran Canaria again and collect all those kisses from your female students as promised.

Take care

Henry Ellis