Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Mizuki_Hikaru
Ai symbol Woman's Gi

Before I start again I'm sorry if this is posted else were, i've looked as well as I could, but there are a zillion posts.

I'm a female and I like the tie at chest level. Also, I like the lighter Gi's, I hate the 'ruffle' collar around my neck, but I managed to find a Gi off the BudoStuff website, the 'summer' gi. I bought one and I love it, but going as much as I do it's already really warn. (there's some kinda staining on it that makes it look dirty all the time too, no luck on removing it). I love the tie at chest level, but I can't seem to find anyone else that sells them. I looked at Iwata and I can't for the life of me figure out there website. I'm a bit broke and $137 plus shipping is a bit much. Thanks everyone again I need all the help I can find.

~Mizuki
Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Woman's Gi

A few options.
If all you need is modesty ties, buy a long shoelace, cut it in half, sew the halves where you want them. Snap tape works as well.
If you want an actual womans gi with darts, and you sew, Round Earth Publishing (hi Carol!) sells a good quality pattern.
Bujin used to make a very nice one out of cotton canvas in a karate style; not sure if via their new partnership they are back in business.
I'm making custom hemp gi tops but being custom are pricy.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-13-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Word on the street is that BuJin will be back up and running in about a month.

Janet's Idea of adding the modestly ties with the shoe string works very well. I no longer use them but I did add them to my first gi when I started aikido.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Mizuki_Hikaru

Thanks, I really need one pretty soon, but maybe i'll wait until Bujin comes back. As for sewing, i'm not so great at it I can embroider, but not much else.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Hanna B
Sweden

It's posted elsewhere on the forum, I think it is Century Martial Arts that also has womens' dogi. Not with "modesty string" perhaps, but that is easy to make yourself.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Like Hanna said, the only other one I have come across is the one at century. I used to buy a heavy weight karate gi from them in my previous style and it was similar to the canvas feel of the bujin one. Not sure if their fabric has changed over the years though. The last time I bout one from them was like 6 or 7 years ago....

As for modesty ties, I don't think most aikido gi come with them. Most people add them on their own. If you look into an iaido gi, they sometimes have the ties though. Good luck!

Last edited by ninjaqutie : 02-13-2011 at 10:14 PM.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Richard Stevens
United_States

You might take a look at this:

http://www.e-bogu.com/Top_quality_Wh...-white-all.htm

It is a Kendogi so it has the tie that you want. Fairly inexpensive and good quality. I have a female acquaintance who bought it for Aikido practice and loves it. I have the same Kendogi and it has held up really well to rough Jujutsu practice.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!