Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #376
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
Location: Birmingham, AL
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,504
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
David,
I send you an electronic coconut as promised, Joe.
Mmmm! Oishi!

Thanks!

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #377
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Tenyu.
With regards to the teacher of the staff? I asked if you knew of such a person for I got the impression many folks seemed to think O'Sensei never had a precise way written down.

Maybe I'm wrong there.( excuse the off topic aside)

Regards.G.
If O Sensei had definitions or transcriptions for his staffwork I'm sure we would have seen them by now. It's a time consuming process which I used to do a lot of before. I compiled a dictionary of transcribed staff forms couple years ago but that was when my work was still external. I haven't done so for Internal yet because I don't think it's necessary. I've also learned that many of the complex dynamic forms don't like being defined to one series of locations, they like having a range making the transcription process even more tedious.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #378
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
If O Sensei had definitions or transcriptions for his staffwork I'm sure we would have seen them by now. It's a time consuming process which I used to do a lot of before. I compiled a dictionary of transcribed staff forms couple years ago but that was when my work was still external. I haven't done so for Internal yet because I don't think it's necessary. I've also learned that many of the complex dynamic forms don't like being defined to one series of locations, they like having a range making the transcription process even more tedious.
Tenyu.
I was just seeing what your view was and whether you had an open mind. Statements like 'if O'Sensei had transcriptions for his staffwork we would have seen them by now' are not from an open mind.

Anyway. He did pass a scroll on with his 'innermost secrets of the staff' in 1957. (secrets not being my wording)

I will find a link and post it if anyone is interested.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #379
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

The teacher I was referring to is Sensei Hikitsuchi Michio.

G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #380
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Tenyu.
I was just seeing what your view was and whether you had an open mind. Statements like 'if O'Sensei had transcriptions for his staffwork we would have seen them by now' are not from an open mind.

Anyway. He did pass a scroll on with his 'innermost secrets of the staff' in 1957. (secrets not being my wording)

I will find a link and post it if anyone is interested.

Regards.G.
I'm happy to be proven wrong about O Sensei having written definitions for his forms. I was under the impression the scroll was O Sensei giving Hikitsuchi simple certification in staff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #381
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYOgkCyr0Q

Tenyu.
This is the link. About two thirds of the way through the video is the part relevant to the scroll on the staff presented by O'Sensei.

For me personally he is one of the best exponents of Aikido.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #382
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
Location: South Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 187
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

New styles of doing something is usually a rehashing of old techniques by someone anxious to be the big dog instead of the young pup. Good luck. I am done here and moving on to a new subject.

Doc Sexton
p.s. Thanks to George for his wisdom put forth here.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #383
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Randy Sexton wrote: View Post
New styles of doing something is usually a rehashing of old techniques by someone anxious to be the big dog instead of the young pup. Good luck. I am done here and moving on to a new subject.

Doc Sexton
p.s. Thanks to George for his wisdom put forth here.
Randy,

Initially I didn't understand why the high ranking people here were so upset and passing judgement on matters they knew nothing about. The reason has become transparent to me as I'm sure has been already for many others witnessing this thread.

I am at the forefront of developing the Staff of Aikido in the world, it is a matter of fact, not a matter of hierarchy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #384
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,091
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
I am at the forefront of developing the Staff of Aikido in the world, it is a matter of fact, not a matter of hierarchy.
Of course social hierarchy has nothing to do with it, but unless you've done some seriously focused study on the breadth of staff in Aikido (Youtube wouldn't count in my book), I don't see how you could make that claim. How much of the "staff of Aikido in the world" have you experienced?

Quote:
Initially I didn't understand why the high ranking people here were so upset and passing judgement on matters they knew nothing about.
They knew/know something about the "matters." It's just a question of what's pertinent to statements made.
Sincerely,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #385
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Randy,

Initially I didn't understand why the high ranking people here were so upset and passing judgement on matters they knew nothing about. The reason has become transparent to me as I'm sure has been already for many others witnessing this thread.

I am at the forefront of developing the Staff of Aikido in the world, it is a matter of fact, not a matter of hierarchy.
Tenyu.
Do you understand now? I'm all for someone taking something to a new level, or style etc. Allow me to explain.

If I was to announce to the world I had a new advanced way of the staff I would have to recognise certain things.

1. If it isn't the same as O'Sensei did, of which he gave the principles to one teacher then I couldn't relate it to such.

2. If it's based on a form learned elsewhere and yet through your own realizations become a new style the you could indeed call it a new style. You could also say it has principles based on those you learned and point out the new ones.

3. So all new ways are infants. If they are better than what went before is not your choice. It is only the choice of others.

4. So you no doubt have a new way. Good for you. Promoting it as you do is thus in my opinion your failure especially as you call it a fact. This only gives the impression of arrogance or delusion.

CONCLUSION: If you stuck to reality and just offered it as a new way which you believe may help others in (what you believe it does) then they may not feel so offended.

Promoting it as you do is all very good for the ego but not very useful to others.

I am sure if you just promote it with humility, just as it is, a new way of the staff, then some may be attracted to try it and either they or you will learn if your reality is true.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #386
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
unless you've done some seriously focused study on the breadth of staff in Aikido (Youtube wouldn't count in my book), I don't see how you could make that claim. How much of the "staff of Aikido in the world" have you experienced?

Matt
You're right, not everything's on Youtube. I've done my homework though. I have all 4 VHS tapes of Hikitsuchi's material, I had the complete DVD series of Ikeda's work including the freestyle staff presentation. I went to one of Saotome's seminars and in between class he showed me his work. I've never been to an Iwama dojo but Saito Hitohiro and Daniel Toutain both show 31 and 13 katas on youtube. They're the only one's I've seen use asymptote activations(low frequency). Few years ago I got the latest all-japan DVD with all the Japanese Shihans, I gave that DVD away shortly after. I've seen Sunadomari's DVD's and his staffwork. O Sensei's the only person I've wanted to steal forms from during the time I spent researching Aikido history. With ample evidence I can easily say my work's at the forefront.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #387
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
If they are better than what went before is not your choice. It is only the choice of others.
This mindset is that of uke. I wouldn't have been able to create Aikibodo if I thought that way.

Quote:
So you no doubt have a new way. Good for you. Promoting it as you do is thus in my opinion your failure especially as you call it a fact. This only gives the impression of arrogance or delusion.
If I weren't at the forefront of Staff research then there'd be no reason for anyone to learn from me when there's so many Aikido teachers twice my age everywhere!

Quote:
CONCLUSION: If you stuck to reality and just offered it as a new way which you believe may help others in (what you believe it does) then they may not feel so offended.
This thread's a couple months old, they were offended before I said this earlier today. I'm not going to explain it to you if you don't understand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #388
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
This mindset is that of uke. I wouldn't have been able to create Aikibodo if I thought that way.

If I weren't at the forefront of Staff research then there'd be no reason for anyone to learn from me when there's so many Aikido teachers twice my age everywhere!

This thread's a couple months old, they were offended before I said this earlier today. I'm not going to explain it to you if you don't understand.
Tenyu.
Fair enough. If that's your view then so be it. I believe you are not where you think you are until you have taught many and helped many more who have problems with such.

You have said such things from the beginning if the thread so I am fully aware thank you and thus my view holds true.

I have seen others give you much advice which if you ever do venture into the world of teaching a new public you will need to learn as by reading the thread you havn't as yet. Namely how to put your terminology in such a way that the receiver of it understands. The art of teaching.

Why mention how great your way is in the first place?

You can justify that as uke mindset as much as you like but it just shows yours insecurity to me unfortunately.

The wisest, most able and truly competant exponents never self promote and are very humble. All promotion is done by others. They only answer questions due to great public interest much further down the line, the line of which you havn't even moved on yet.

Self promotion is self defeating and this I believe you cannot see. Instead you should quietly go about helping others who are stuck in their staff work and quietly teach what you know at your own place until you are wanted and needed.

Humility is power that's why an uke can learn but it's also why some teachers progress.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #389
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Graham,

See my signature.

Introspection starts within not without.

I'm already teaching successfully.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #390
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
Location: london
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,697
England
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Graham,

See my signature.

Introspection starts within not without.

I'm already teaching successfully.
Tenyu.
A signature means nothing.

Humility is within.

I am glad if you are teaching and even happier if it is going successfully. As I recall you said in your early posts that no one turned up, hence my 'if'

Well, if you are and it's going well then I offer my congratulations.

Regards.G.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #391
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: Back to basics?

The basic one-count shomen from chudan kamae with the staff is the most difficult fundamental Aikido weapons technique. O Sensei never did it on film and I don't think he ever did it off film either. The one-count shomen-nage is also the only basic that has no true taijitsu equivalent.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #392
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,091
United_States
Offline
Re: Back to basics?

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
The basic one-count shomen from chudan kamae with the staff is the most difficult fundamental Aikido weapons technique.
Difficult in what terms? How would you describe the reason for the difficulty?
Take care,
Matt
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #393
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: Back to basics?

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Difficult in what terms? How would you describe the reason for the difficulty?
Take care,
Matt
The range of locations both of nage and staff at any given moment during the shomen is so tiny that in practical terms a range doesn't exist, only one location both in time and space is possible. Any deviation or error will cause the shomen to fail.

Medium or high frequency activations are also impossible when done correctly due to the nature of nage's structure. The strike's energy 'wants' to disperse, only a certain level of perfection will allow it to concentrate for lower frequency activations. The psychological implications are immense and it's by far the most humbling form of all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #394
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,091
United_States
Offline
Re: Back to basics?

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
The range of locations both of nage and staff at any given moment during the shomen is so tiny that in practical terms a range doesn't exist, only one location both in time and space is possible. Any deviation or error will cause the shomen to fail.

Medium or high frequency activations are also impossible when done correctly due to the nature of nage's structure. The strike's energy 'wants' to disperse, only a certain level of perfection will allow it to concentrate for lower frequency activations. The psychological implications are immense and it's by far the most humbling form of all.
Thank you, Tenyu. So it's harder because there is less space to move in?
Also, would it be accurate for me to think of high or low frequencies as high or low kinetic levels? I imagine the peak rate of acceleration as representing the peak of the wave when you speak of frequency. Does that fit with your meaning?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #395
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
Location: Arcata CA
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
United_States
Offline
Re: Back to basics?

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Thank you, Tenyu. So it's harder because there is less space to move in?
Also, would it be accurate for me to think of high or low frequencies as high or low kinetic levels? I imagine the peak rate of acceleration as representing the peak of the wave when you speak of frequency. Does that fit with your meaning?
When you say less space, it connotes a small range. In absolute terms I'm not sure if I can say a range of any size exists at all.

Any strike's energy is the greatest at the activation and high frequencies do carry a lot more kinetic energy than low frequencies. This doesn't mean the shomen's not powerful though, being able to achieve 'one space' perfection carries a type of power immeasurable by any scientific means.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #396
jester
 
jester's Avatar
Location: Texas
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 329
United_States
Offline
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

You only achieved a Kyu ranking and you are opening a school??

I saw the Jo Kata and wasn't impressed at all (although the beach looked really nice). I didn't read the entire 11 pages, just the first post so forgive me if this was all a joke.

Quote:
After over a year of independent study by myself
Quote:
For those concerned with rank, I'm officially a 4th kyu in Karate and Aikido.
Quote:
I trained in Aikido for two and a half years at Tom Read Sensei's dojo
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 18 Peter Goldsbury Columns 187 09-08-2011 02:41 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 17 Peter Goldsbury Columns 41 06-03-2010 09:46 PM
Aikido in Amsterdam, Terry Lax style... tiyler_durden General 11 11-03-2008 08:31 AM
Aikido as External Art -or- Where's the Chewy Center? ChrisMoses Training 130 03-17-2007 03:21 PM
Aki-Jitsu The One General 40 04-01-2001 03:41 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:22 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate