Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
InternalPowerSac
Dojo: Neijia
United_States
An Outline of My Thoughts Regarding the Long Daoist Stride

Folks thank you very much for your patience with me here. I could wax pedantic but my sister recently chastised me, wisely! for laying a knowledge bomb on people from all angles. My brain is chaotic and disorderly and for that I apologize. From chaos comes order. My sister told me to make it simple so here it is. I am going to assume that you have at least a high school level of understanding in one of the following backgrounds. Your forgiveness if my previous posts seemed pedantic.

There is no particular order to this list other than whimsy's choice so if you see one you don't know, keep scrolling. Keep trying to link them together this is always about connection. Thank God for my fast ability to read, my vast amount of time in suffering to devote to reading, Mozilla Firefox, the Internet, and most of all my sister and Tim Torres. I'm going to list the stuff I think may be most key to my average reader here to think about in furthering their practice whatever it may be.

1. The universe as a multicellular organism. Perhaps double bagged with matter/antimatter, regular/dark matter acting like chemical catalysis through the ether. Everything has its frequency. Application of Mayan basis of astronomy, counting, and calculation. The way to achieve the Dao is to vibrate in harmony with the other beings in the universe as much as possible to collaborate and create new worlds and structures through dreams, music, and breath. Parallels between body and universe is the whole basis of ancient philosophies and memetic story structures parallel human interaction. Chemical reaction in biology parallels astronomical reaction in astronomy use dualistic logic/deductive logic/scientific reasoning/yin-yang/sixiang/post heaven bagua to apply logic to science. Use Wuxing and Preheaven Bagua to describe interaction between organs, people, emotions, and spirit. The Sixth Harmony is the interaction. Seventh Harmony is Man. The Eighth Harmony is Tribe (Self, Family, Clan, Nation, Globe, Galaxy), the Ninth Harmony or the Ninth Palace is perception of silence and everything in context. POSTULATIONAL STRUCTURAL THEORY BREAK SKIP TO THE NEXT IF NOT INTERESTED - I think string theory and Eastern spirituality describe four more vibrational planes each. It all works in a tensegrity like manner. I imagine that the nine harmonies form a tube that can be joined to itself in a Mobius strip and can rotate into a sphere. Cellular division and unification is happening on a macrocosmic level with galaxies and black holes merging and growing apart! Perhaps the black holes can form rings along the edge of the tube, spiral, condense into tighter protein like helical structures and spin into a sphere. It can go from there all over again back and forth without consideration of space and time as those are merely properties of itself.

1. Internal and external martial arts, usage as function for harm or protection, spirituality or combat, health or destruction, and motivations for learning such as power/arrogance/greed/body versus helplessness/humility of spirit/low material means/mind and then unification of those things with spirit and intent

1. Photovoltaic solar cells, photosynthesis, solar powered Mediterranean bees.

1. The Macrobiotic Diet and its basis on ancient ancestral diets of ancient peoples and its goal of correcting modern health and how it relates to modern science.

1. Deductive logic (Chinese/Greek), intuitive knowledge, spiritual and extrasensory perception.

1. Eastern medicine (Yin-Yang, Wuxing, Bagua, Nine Palaces), Western medicine, various ethnic medicines.

1. The Macrobiotic Diet and its basis on ancient ancestral diets of ancient peoples and its goal of correcting modern health and how it relates to modern science.

1. Daoism, Judeo-Christian-Islamic-Baha'i, pagan philosophies.

1. Language, silence, music.

1. Language diversity, language classification, Eskimos, Basque, Bushmen extremely isolated environments changed genetics

1. Mathematics, vibration, frequency.

1. Neurolinguistic Programming (not fond of all the Choamsky language theory with the Piraha study but it works even if the theory isn't complete).

1. Dale Carnegie

1. Power of Positive Thinking

1. Think and Grow Rich

1. Strucural stresses on spheres, compacted structures like brick walls, and triangles and tensegrity.

1 . Biological methods of locomotion: unicellular (integrins), aquatic, reptilian, avian, mammalian, quadrupedal, tripedal, bipedal, unibody, insectile.

1. Stillness, movement, and actual and perceived forces.

1. Vertical, horizontal, and sagittal planes of bodily movement.

1. Angles, arcs, circles, spheres, connections, internal/external forces.

1. Various animal classifications.

1. Life and Death: Reincarnation, heaven and hell, non-existence.

1. Polytheist, dualist, monotheistic, agnostic, atheist, unified religious theories.

1. Western physionomy, Eastern physionomy, Tom Myers' Anatomy Trains, Travell and Simons trigger points, fascia, bones, viscera (including brain and nervous system)

1. Proteins, carbohydrates, fats.

1. Myth/religion/science/knowledge/spirituality/physics considering man's function

1. Drug paradigms: Natural versus synthetic, entheogen versus scientific, scientific versus traditional, entheogen for spiritual healing as well, lack of spiritual and life fulfilment in Western society and using extreme yin additive medicines to upset chemical balance, dual drug anti-anxiety and anti-depressant treatment for more balanced mood.

1. Green living vs. consumerism and the spectrum

1. Newton's laws, Einstein's relativity, quantum phyics, string theory, structure, sentience development

1. Mania, normal behavior, depression, bipolar disorder, psychopathy, and spectrum of mind

1. Intellect/Spirit, Emotion/Viscera (including brain and nervous system), Body/Mind

1. The eye of a hurricane

1. Centrifugal and centripetal force

1. Monkey movement and the kinesiological trilateral harmonic dual pendulum muscle energetics of arms/head/shoulders, the tail/hips/legs, and the abdomen and spine connecting.

1. Arcs, sine waves, cycloid, helixes, tubes, rings, spheres, rotation and interaction

1. Russian babushka dolls

1. Isaac Asimov, Orson Scott Card, Neil Gaiman, Terry Brooks, George R.R. Martin, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Frank Herbert, George Lucas (only the originals!), Ryan Sohmer, Terry Pratchett, and the list goes on. Thanks to those excellent storytellers!

1. Blues, jazz, hip-hop, country, classical, Eastern, and modern rock.

1. Spin! Black holes, nebulas, vacuum, matter/antimatter, forces, particles.

1. The relationship of entheogens/pharmaceuticals, myofascial matrix, the endocannabinoid system, the viscera (including the nervous system), mind, and spirituality, and society and the various effects on each other.

1. Aliens/Gods, visitation/guidance, buildings of man and gods, rejection of gods and aliens as phenomena.

OK, I think that list is big enough. I have tons more interests intellectually and we don't have time for me to list them all. I'm going to let you guys find your own paths to it. I'm going to go find my local Baha'is and maybe a gym as well and go practice.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Howard Prior
United_States
Re: An Outline of My Thoughts Regarding the Long Daoist Stride

Quote:
Matt Parsons wrote: View Post
...Thank God for my fast ability to read....I'm going to list the stuff I think may be most key to my average reader here...
Okay. I've just one question:

1). What's your second point?

2). Was that memetic story structures or mimetic story structures?

3). Have you considered that the pebble doesn't know the depth of the pond as it skims from wave to wave?

All the best.

Howard
Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Mike Sigman
United_States

Shouldn't this type of stuff be in "Open Discussions"
Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Yep

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

What on earth is going on here

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Matt Parsons wrote: View Post
1. Mania, ...
Key point in this thread I think...

Old 01-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

That does seem a bit chaotic for me to really wrap my mind around. Could you distill this gist of this thread? What exactly do you hope to accomplish with it? To inspire contemplation about the nature of existence through these concepts and examples?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I think you should ask your sister to translate for you. Frankly, I'm lost.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
guest1234567
Spain

Einstein divides the atom
And afterwards they said that you the electrons only serve to flutter around them and that they are the core and that you are all negatives and that...
Old 01-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
Howard Prior
United_States

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Shouldn't this type of stuff be in "Open Discussions"
Ooops, sorry, I didn't even notice which thread it was in.

I guess I'm just like that sometimes.

Best to all,

Howard
Old 01-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
niall

Japan

I misread this first as the long taoist dude... Brainstorming can be a great tool. But I'm not quite sure what you want to generate ideas about here. And then it's what you do with the ideas afterwards that is important. To make it more than just a list maybe we need to have a synthesis?

By the way this numbering system - with every separate point numbered one - is common in Japan as 'hitotsu' 一 (one). Which is an interesting cultural point.

Last edited by niall : 01-22-2011 at 07:32 AM.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
InternalPowerSac
Dojo: Neijia
United_States

Sorry I was on the expansive phase still. I've contracted it as much as possible.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Matt,

Do you want some of us to say "whoa, you're a genius?"

Or is there something informative in your post here?

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
C. David Henderson
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Key point in this thread I think...
Seems ever more probable as a desciptor of behavior if not an evaluation of ideas.

Matt, I hope this expansive phase ends well and gently for you, bro.

FWIW, professionally I often have to lay out complex information for people who are pressed for time and likely not to understand the material all that well.

From my experience, a lot of ideas that excite me in the "discovery phase" when I struggling to analyze or understand something ultimately aren't that useful for explication to an audience.

I think it's useful sometimes to distinguish the process of discovering interesting new thoughts or perceived insight and the process of explicating them for an unfamiliar audience.

It also might be simpler for presentation's sake if you unpack your ideas over more time, to allow other people a chance to understand.

This invariably will call up for you the many associations you have between one idea and the other. In conversation, it might help us track your insights for you to be somewhat frugal in tracing out only those most proximate to the particular facet under discussion.
We can always ask questions when we don't get it.

As for brainstorming, as I was taught and teach it, is a process that really is supposed to involve multiple people throwing off thoughts. A spontaneous exchange that changes the subject matter for all involved Solo brainstorming always reminds me of those rainstorms in the desert, where the moisture never quite reaches the parched earth.

Take care.

Respectfully

David Henderson
Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Howard Prior
United_States

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
...By the way this numbering system - with every separate point numbered one - is common in Japan as 'hitotsu' 一 (one). Which is an interesting cultural point.
Do you mean in common speach, " one point is..., another point is..., another point is..." or when listing (I hesitate to say enumerate or outlining) a series - or both?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
Howard Prior
United_States

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
Seems ever more....Take care.
Very well said.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
niall

Japan

For example these are the dojo rules of Shotokan karate:

Quote:
The five rules (in Japanese) are:

一、人格完成に努むること
hitotsu, jinkaku kansei ni tsutomuru koto

一、誠の道を守ること
hitotsu, makoto no michi wo mamoru koto

一、努力の精神を養うこと
hitotsu, doryōku no seishin wo yashinau koto

一、礼儀を重んずること
hitotsu, reigi wo omonzuru koto

一、血気の勇を戒むること
hitotsu, kekki no yū wo imashimuru koto

The word Hitotsu means "one" or "first" and is prepended to each rule to place it at the same level of importance as the others. The word koto which ends each rule means "thing" and is used as a conjunction between rules.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dojo_kun

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
Howard Prior
United_States

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
For example....
Thanks. I had no idea.

Do the Japanese always list things such or do they also use equivalents for 1st, 2nd, etc?

All those numbers have to be good for something.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:40 AM   #19
niall

Japan

This way of counting is used when the points are all of equal importance so there is no progression or ranking. Counting in Japanese is a bit confusing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_counting_words

Last edited by niall : 01-23-2011 at 04:47 AM.

w b yeats

Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #20
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I just thought I would mention that yesterday I was reading The Time Thief, by Terry Pratchett, in which there is mention of universes nestled within universes much like the Babushka dolls.
Still not knowing exactly what my fellow Matt is saying, I do always find this kind of thing interesting to contemplate. There are always so many things with which to make connections...and for me, that's half the fun of life. It's an amazingly complex world and in one way or another, it's all quite interconnected/interrelated.
...My two bits before coffee.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!