Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-22-2002, 02:51 PM   #1
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Japanese Legends verses Native American Tales?

Most people have tales and legends.

The Japanese have many stories that mix the legends of nature with the fantasy of gods, and many superior beings.

If you study some of the tales and legends of the Native American Indian, there are a great many simularities in the respect that the meaning of the stories, and that they are both based upon the observations of nature, they are terribly simular.

Has anyone else read and explored this avenue?

Many of the Native Americans leave these tales, and stories to people within their own tribes who are responsible to memorize and pass on the stories, in a way, they are constantly training in another avenue social spirit for the communities benefit for generations to come. More and more are available online at different native websites.

Are we, referring to those of us who are born upon the North American continent, searching for the spirit of this land, the Great Turtle Island that the Great Spirit has given to us all, or are we remaking the landscape into our own vision without using the lessons of Aikido to seek out the spirit of our homeland?

I guess I am trying to say ...

Do you take full advantage of the spirit of your homeland, the people and cultures that have come before, as the other part of your spiritual training ... your off the mat training?

If you don't, what is it you expect the off the mat training to be?

Answer any one of the questions, but the link to Native American Tales (or of your own lands tales based in nature) compared to our interest in Aikido's strength and tales from Nature was my main interest.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:29 PM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, if you look into Carl Jung's concept of archtypes as a universal concept accross cultures and stored possibly in our collective unconscious, it is possible that most cultures have very similiar tales to tell.

Until again,

Lynn
Nidan Tenhinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-23-2002, 04:31 AM   #3
Mr. P

Dojo: BMS A´kido
Tales or legends are made in order to teach us different things. So, since we can find the same ethics, that means everybody's seeking in the same direction. It's reassuring !

Anyway, since our tales are equivalent to other cultures' ones, I'd prefer to follow the stories my mom told me when I was a child ; simply because I understand better stories about angels than ones about kami. I grew up with them and, as my parents or simply my childhood, I can't reject them.

To answer your question : everyday, I try (I hate this verb) to follow what have been taught to me in the best way I could.
I think it's the same thing for many people.

Maybe I'm wrong , I'm open for other opinions...

Mr. P

Never pay attention to someone using smileys...
Old 06-12-2002, 08:58 AM   #4
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
finding answers ...

I was thinking that ... maybe ... just maybe ... some of the interested viewers of this post might actually look up the real story of Hionwatha and Dekanawida, from which the story of Hiawatha was terribly miswritten from?

There is a very interesting way of "Clearing the mind" from emotional strife, and a rather dark tale which reminds me of the "Tales of Beowulf".

If you Find the Six Nations Site of New York State, USA, it becomes fascinating how a culture that is as barberic as any known culture in the history of the world can have oration and such civilized overriding government by women. Although women are considered the social government, men the hunters and protectors, the women no less are given the final say as to a leaders rights to lead in the tribal higherarchy, which can include leaders who are chiefs or subchiefs much like our own governmental structure here in the good ol' USA?

Point being ... we practice Aikido to find the harmony of our lives with an emotional stability, there are other cultural ways that benefit your life and emotional stability, including your advancement in Aikido training.

Understanding how to "Clear the mind" of emotional clouds to think properly, with clarity is something you should understand, or at least know of, if you want to get the full benefit of practicing Aikido, or even having a better life.

I could cross reference legends and societys until the cows came home, went back in the field, and came home again, but it wouldn't get the same benefit as you reading the material yourself?

Take a few minutess, find it, save it, read it when you can, and see if you don't get a better grasp on thinking with a "clouded mind" verses thinking with a "clear mind?"

It would sure make some of these posts a lot easier.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!