Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Location: NSW
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Australia
Offline
A little history ?

Hi, Can anyone point me to a thread discussing the history of Aikido post O'Sensai. The different schools evolutions and teachers?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,169
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Quote:
Michael Wilson wrote: View Post
Hi, Can anyone point me to a thread discussing the history of Aikido post O'Sensai. The different schools evolutions and teachers?

Thanks.

Last edited by dps : 12-07-2010 at 11:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,169
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Just kidding.

Start with this one and read all eighteen of them.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ight=Emulation

dps
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Tony Wagstaffe
Location: Winchester
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,211
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Just kidding.

Start with this one and read all eighteen of them.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ight=Emulation

dps
Have to hand it to Peter he is one hell of a lecturer......
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Larry Feldman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
Location: Atlanta, GA
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 331
United_States
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Here is a quick summary printed by the Aikido Journal -
http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=29
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Location: NSW
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Australia
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Thankyou
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Location: NSW
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Australia
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Just kidding.

Start with this one and read all eighteen of them.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ight=Emulation

dps
Wow! What a read - I am greatly enjoying this. But I am confused by the numbers of the articles. They dont seem sequential ... are some of them missing ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Peter Goldsbury's Avatar
Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Location: Hiroshima, Japan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,999
Japan
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Quote:
Michael Wilson wrote: View Post
Wow! What a read - I am greatly enjoying this. But I am confused by the numbers of the articles. They dont seem sequential ... are some of them missing ?
Hello Michael,

Well, I have a plan, somewhere in my head, but it keeps being modified because interesting topics keep coming up. Broadly, the articles that have the sub-title 'Interlude' are not intended to be part of a strict historical series, but discussions of related topics. Column 19 will deal with the question of the extent to which aikido is essentially a 'Japanese' art. This question also relates indirectly to prewar and postwar thinking.

The stricter historical sequence will continue with a discussion about Kisshomaru Ueshiba.

I should add that the articles are works-in-progress for a future book, or books.

PAG

P A Goldsbury
_______________________
Hiroshima, Japan
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,850
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Hi Michael,

You also might want to try using the following link to access all of Peter's columns:

http://bit.ly/AikiWeb_TIE

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Location: NSW
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Australia
Offline
Thumbs up Re: A little history ?

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Hello Michael,

Well, I have a plan, somewhere in my head, but it keeps being modified because interesting topics keep coming up. Broadly, the articles that have the sub-title 'Interlude' are not intended to be part of a strict historical series, but discussions of related topics. Column 19 will deal with the question of the extent to which aikido is essentially a 'Japanese' art. This question also relates indirectly to prewar and postwar thinking.

The stricter historical sequence will continue with a discussion about Kisshomaru Ueshiba.

I should add that the articles are works-in-progress for a future book, or books.

PAG
Hi peter, Thanks HEAPS for all this! (Since I dont have a ho,e computer (or internet or electricity) I print these out at the library and take them home to read. Which is great as I havent been able to find much of interest to read lately.

I am looking forward to discussion about Kisshomaru Ueshiba. The book sounds great. At least now I know why i often get such a strange response to some of the questions I have asked teachers
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Location: NSW
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Australia
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi Michael,

You also might want to try using the following link to access all of Peter's columns:

http://bit.ly/AikiWeb_TIE

Hope that helps,

-- Jun
Yes it does, a great help, thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #12
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Location: Zaragoza
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 587
Spain
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Quote:
Michael Wilson wrote: View Post
Hi peter, Thanks HEAPS for all this! (Since I dont have a ho,e computer (or internet or electricity) I print these out at the library and take them home to read. Which is great as I havent been able to find much of interest to read lately.
Be sure to include the source when you print it out. And do not reproduce. Or is printing a form of copyright violation? Or... Oh, I don't know. Just enjoy as I did!! That's a great series worth buying when the book-to-be hits the market!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #13
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Peter Goldsbury's Avatar
Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Location: Hiroshima, Japan
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,999
Japan
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Hello Alejandro,

I think the only copyright involved is what Jun claims for this website. I believe that Stan Pranin states somewhere that he holds the copyright to whatever articles are published on his websites.

Since the columns are really a work-in-progress, I do not mind them being printed, studied and used. The feedback I have been receiving so far is very valuable, which is why I think publishing the columns this way is preferable to writing the whole set of columns and then publishing them as a book or books.

One of the reasons why I do not mind about copyright is that the series is quite revisionist in aim (I explain more precisely what I mean in Column 21). Actually, there is still so much that needs to be set right about the history of aikido. Stan Pranin was THE pioneer, but I believe he concerned himself much more with the place of Daito-ryu in prewar aiki-(bu)do than with postwar developments in the Aikikai.

In addition, far more research needs to be done about placing Morihei Ueshiba in his contemporary historical context (warts, projections through shoji screens and all). To my mind there are still uncomfortably many aikido students who read O Sensei in dubious translations and then proclaim that I MYSELF think that this or that IS what O Sensei REALLY meant. Internet discussion forums are the favored place for such proclamations. Ai - ki and breathing deeply, ai - ki and love, ai - ki and western moral concepts are especially tempting and dangerous white-rabbit holes.

Portraying Morihei Ueshiba / Kisshomaru Ueshiba / Moriteru Ueshiba as aikido saints needs to be very firmly grounded in portraying them as aikido men, which is what these columns aim to achieve.

As for the books, well, it has taken me nearly four years to get to Column 18 and there are 32 more columns to go...

All good wishes for 2011

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 12-21-2010 at 05:34 AM.

P A Goldsbury
_______________________
Hiroshima, Japan
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
ravenest
Dojo: Way of Falling Water
Location: NSW
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 65
Australia
Offline
Re: A little history ?

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Be sure to include the source when you print it out. And do not reproduce. Or is printing a form of copyright violation? Or... Oh, I don't know. Just enjoy as I did!! That's a great series worth buying when the book-to-be hits the market!
Copyrite violation???!! Good Lord, I just wanted to read them Little did I know I was potentially committing a criminal act.
I have nearly finished the articles (not the posts following, I guess they are rather interesting as well.

The next sections promise to be v.interesting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #15
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,169
Offline
Re: A little history ?

bump
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 17 Peter Goldsbury Columns 41 06-03-2010 09:46 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 14 Peter Goldsbury Columns 38 07-31-2009 11:19 PM
History of Aikido in hilo hawaii ...ongoing project jamie yugawa General 2 06-29-2009 10:37 PM
Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 10 Peter Goldsbury Columns 200 02-04-2009 06:45 AM
Japanese sword on the History Channel batemanb General 12 11-29-2004 01:27 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate