Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Tatsukage
United_States
Chain whip

Does anyone have any tips or links as to how I can better my skills with the chain whip? I have a heavy gauge 9 section. There are no instructors anywhere around my area that I've found, and I have no friends currently practicing with this weapon. I know the figure 8, double 8, etc, but anyone can swing it in a couple circles. I'm looking to get somewhat proficient. I know that personal teachers are always best, but as there are none around, internet is my next best option, or ordering a book/dvd. I don't expect to master it by any means without personal instruction, but I'd like to get a lot better than I am now. Arigato Gozaimasu.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Chain whip

I have minimal knowledge, but the easiest way to get better is practice.

When I bought mine several years ago, it came with a dvd that was really helpful. I will have to find it and let you know the title. I believe I got it from century martial arts though.... Just be ready to get a few major bruises while learning how to do a few things. I got a HUGE bruise on my leg once learning a new way to change directions using the elbow of my arm. It hurt, but I got over it.

I know there are youtube video's out there though. Best of luck!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

i got some chain and whip but the wife told me to return them. apparently she wasn't into that sort of thing; although, i kept the metal studded leather collar.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
Just be ready to get a few major bruises while learning how to do a few things. I got a HUGE bruise on my leg once learning a new way to change directions using the elbow of my arm. It hurt, but I got over it.
I've heard of injuries to the teeth, as well. That spike on the end can come on around after you think you've stopped the chain...

I've only worked briefly with an actual 9-section whip but always thought it was one of the most interesting of Chinese weapons. And so I've experimented a lot with chains of various sizes that I've found. I have a big heavy one in a tool box that I sometimes haul out and work with. Got everything I know from a movie called variously Five Shaolin Masters, maybe Five Masters of Death...some really interesting whip techniques in there.

On the whole, though, watching the modern wushu forms I find only moderately interesting.

I think the actual 9-section whip is impractical as an actual weapon, though imminently effective as a theoretical weapon. However, most of that theory can be actualized if you use an ordinary chain. I mean, it looks rather premeditated when you have an actual 9-section whip and use it in some kind of confrontation. But if you happened to have a chain lying around and you picked it up to defend yourself against maybe a baseball bat or maybe a rake, hoe or pick...

The chain has enormous potential and it can be lots of fun to work with if you watch what you're doing. Otherwise, you can get some teeth knocked out.

Quote:
Gotta look those up.

Best to y'all.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com
Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
This one's from National Geographic. Pretty good. They say a student is more likely to injure himself with the whip chain than with any other weapon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcPr-AP1Vss

Let's be careful out there.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com