Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #26
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Re: Trying to be aiki, in an MMA world...

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
In my experience, BJJ/MMA, Kickboxing and Judo guys are in general more respectful and open minded about Aikido than aikidoka about said arts.
Yes. It. Is.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #27
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

Hm, the aikidoka I know have no problem with other martial arts... I do a little karate in addition and nobody ever said anything bad about that. And I don't think their attitude towards e.g. Kickboxing is that much worse...
Old 10-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #28
RED
United_States

I've known a lot of cross trainers. Most Aikidoka I've met have come from other arts. I never knew there was an issue people in regards to people who do other arts; neither BBJ/MMA nor Aikidoka. ??

Regardless, maybe too many generalizations are being slung about this thread right now. lol

MM
Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #29
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States

I don't hang out with many people from other martial arts, but I do have a friend who trains in BJJ. He has nothing derogatory to say about any other martial art, and it is my impression that his gymmates felt the same way. I find people who are focused on pointing out the flaws of others do so because they don't want people looking at them.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #30
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

A big part of Aiki for me is learning how to face paradigms, problems, fears, etc and learning to understand them better. To figure out what is really going on at the root level and trying to reach an authentic understanding of the world around me.

In that respect I have found the allegory of my budo practice to be more about listening..or better yet, hearing instead of being heard.

I think it is easy for us all to self identify with some ideals, values, mores or what not that we aspire to begin to try and pull away from or separate the things that we don't like, fear, or simply don't understand completely.

I know that fear has cost me alot of experiences early in my life!

Anyway, I think the biggest lesson we can learn in aikido is "things are not quite what they always seem".

We certainly don't want others judging what we do in aikido simply from cursory observation, why is it that we feel the need to do this when we supposedly study an art that is trying to not do that very thing!

Many in aikido, imo, simply what to take a revisionist view of the founder's intent. We attempt to reframe our practices to mean the whole peace and harmony thing without attempting to really understand the nature or root of violence or conflict.

In many respects, I think, folks that do MMA (and I am one of them) are more honest in their practice in the fact that they don't sugar coat the meaning of what we are doing...which is bad things to people in a good way!

For me, Budo is not so much about avoiding conflict or trying to make it something that it is not...but how we live our lives and how we deal with violence that is what it is all about.

We can face with anger and/or revenge in mind, or we can face it with a clean heart and compassion.

For me, it is not what we do, but how approach it when we approach it.

For most of my MMA buddies, they are some of the most compassionate and caring people in the world...and they understand and make no bones about what they are capable of doing and what they are willing to do if they have to.

With warriors of this mind set, you find a pretty low tolerance for bullshit and their BS meter is pretty well calibrated.

They can smell it a mile away...unfortunately, there are many folks in Traditional martial arts that have no clue what is really going on in their practice.

This is not to say everyone is like this in TMAs, of course not. But if the shoe fits.....

That said, as a few others have mentioned, there are the "wannbee" MMAers too.

These guys (and me) have the same opinion of those "Tapout" wannabee/gang bangers as well.

Embrace your fears and let go of your pre-conceptions...you might be suprised what you find!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #31
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
A big part of Aiki for me is learning how to face paradigms, problems, fears, etc and learning to understand them better. To figure out what is really going on at the root level and trying to reach an authentic understanding of the world around me.
In that respect I have found the allegory of my budo practice to be more about listening..or better yet, hearing instead of being heard.
I agree with that, I always try to understand why somebody does not respect other people, respect their ideas and thoughts, even sometimes in a forum
Quote:
Anyway, I think the biggest lesson we can learn in aikido is "things are not quite what they always seem".
very wise

Quote:
Embrace your fears and let go of your pre-conceptions...you might be suprised what you find!
Maybe that is why I never met guys like others described.
I believe in the mirror of the relationsships, people will treat you as you treat them

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!