Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-11-2002, 08:16 AM   #1
isshinryu88
Question Choosing an Instructor

There's a thread already going about choosing a dojo, but I wanted to go beyond that and look at choosing an instructor.

What sorts of things should I look for in an instructor? I'm really looking at tecnical things rather than things such as are they respectful of their students. I assume I can get a decent idea of the instructor's teaching ability from looking at the students. Are there any red flags I should look for? For example, in the vast majority of Karate styles, a person's back heel should be down when in a front stance. If I was visiting a karate dojo and saw the heel up consistently, I would ask the instructor about it. I don't have any comparable knowledge about Aikido. Thank you for your time.

Dave
Old 05-11-2002, 12:21 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States
While this is titled "Evaluating A Dojo", it has some useful hints about evaluating an instructor.

http://www.takemusu.org/taa_article_1.html

There are some secondary and tertiary effects of an instructor's capability that often say as much or more than the primary effects.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-11-2002, 09:52 PM   #3
Carl Simard
For one thing, in aikido or any other MA, be wary of instructors telling you, or even forbidding you, not to look in other dojos or to go in seminars, so that you see what other are doing... It's usually a very bad sign... Others are the one who tell "I'm always right and all the other are wrong", butthey are usually the same as the ones before...
Old 05-13-2002, 10:31 AM   #4
ndiegel
Sounds like Tae-Kwon-Do.

I asked one of my friends if she wanted to join me in an Aikido class. Seeing as she is 2nd Dan in Tae-Kwon-Do, I figured that she would jump at it. She said, "I'd love to, but I can't." I inquired as to why she couldn't. It turns out that she had to sign a contract when she joined up, saying that she couldn't participate, or even watch any other martial arts. I simply said, "Baaaad Mistake." ! (for those of you who like the Simpsons)

"Expect Nothing, Be Ready For Anything"
-Samurai Battle Chant
Old 05-17-2002, 11:57 PM   #5
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
Quote:
Originally posted by ndiegel
Sounds like Tae-Kwon-Do.

I asked one of my friends if she wanted to join me in an Aikido class. Seeing as she is 2nd Dan in Tae-Kwon-Do, I figured that she would jump at it. She said, "I'd love to, but I can't." I inquired as to why she couldn't. It turns out that she had to sign a contract when she joined up, saying that she couldn't participate, or even watch any other martial arts. I simply said, "Baaaad Mistake." ! (for those of you who like the Simpsons)
So, why couldn't she?? What are they going to do?? Go to her house and break her knees?? Take away her rank??? It's probably inflated anyway. (I know, that's harsh.) But schools with such etiquette usually turn out to be black belt factories, and TKD seems to be the art with the most McDojos that operate in that sense.

I think she could have gotten out of that contract if she wanted to. Any dojo that operates like that should have it's doors closed, and doesn't deserve her business.

C. Martin

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.