Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
SEG
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
United_States
Offline
Shodan testing

Hello all,

Myself and one other student will be testing for Shodan this Saturday. I have read so many posts about Shodan tests that I won't ask to many questions. Our test is going to be made up of suwariwaza ikkyo-ryopkyo, iriminagi, kotegaeshi and shihonagi. Hanmihandachi more than 5 techniques from any 3 attacks, standing more than 5 techniques from 3 different attacks, 5 jo take aways, 5 bokken take aways and a 1 minute randori with 2 attackers.

Most everything I feel ok about except for the bokken work. I can only come up with 6 take away techniques . That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in that area. Anyway, I'm nervous as all get out and it's hard to work because this test is all that's on my mind. Thanks for listening and I'll update on the outcome.

Shaun
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
kewms
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,135
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Six takeaways should be plenty. There are more, but with six you should be able to demonstrate a solid decisive entry, control of the attacker's balance, and control of the weapon from a variety of different angles. I'd rather see a student do six takeaways really well than fumble around trying to do more.

(It's also probable that you know more, but don't realize you know them.)

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
Location: Atlanta, GA
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 339
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Call the other student and see if he/she can go through the take aways with you prior to Saturday.

Your teacher would not ask you to test if they did not think you were ready.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:18 AM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,248
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Quote:
Shaun Gallagher wrote: View Post
Hello all,

Myself and one other student will be testing for Shodan this Saturday. I have read so many posts about Shodan tests that I won't ask to many questions. Our test is going to be made up of suwariwaza ikkyo-ryopkyo, iriminagi, kotegaeshi and shihonagi. Hanmihandachi more than 5 techniques from any 3 attacks, standing more than 5 techniques from 3 different attacks, 5 jo take aways, 5 bokken take aways and a 1 minute randori with 2 attackers.

Most everything I feel ok about except for the bokken work. I can only come up with 6 take away techniques . That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in that area. Anyway, I'm nervous as all get out and it's hard to work because this test is all that's on my mind. Thanks for listening and I'll update on the outcome.

Shaun
DearShaun,
Far be it for me to judge how a shodan grading should be conducted .I think any examiner who expects first kyu to demonstrate six sword taking waza is expecting too much.Emphasis on Kihon Waza should be the order of the day.Get the basics right.Cheers, Joe
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:51 AM   #5
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,248
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote: View Post
Call the other student and see if he/she can go through the take aways with you prior to Saturday.

Your teacher would not ask you to test if they did not think you were ready.
Hi Larry.
My own favourite takeaways are Chicken Korma and Beef in Black Bean Sauce. Joe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
Location: Birmingham
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 337
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

I agree with Joe, it's not the quantity of technique that is normally judged but the quality. In particular how well executed are the basics?
Shodan IMHO should be a test of basic competence - nothing more
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,943
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Two thoughts occur to me, seeing this list of requirements. One is, "Wow, I sure wish that when I come up for my shodan test, I'll have a list that tells me exactly what I'll be tested on!" I know already that isn't gonna happen. The second is, how closely does this list match what you practice in class? If there's a big gap between the two, something is wrong. If not, the test should be straightforward, at least in the sense of "What do I do?" You'll know what to do because you've been doing it all along. At that point, as Joe says, it's all about the quality of the execution.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Mary Eastland
 
Mary Eastland's Avatar
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,272
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Shaun! Best of luck with your test. Relax and enjoy. Just do you best.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
SEG
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Thanks folks. We've practiced bokken take aways, just not that frequently. We've practiced jo take aways a lot more. As far as knowing what is coming, the only thing we know for sure is the suwariwaza. The others are just do whatever technique we think of as he calls the attack. These will go on until sensei is satisfied, it could be five, it could be twelve.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm nervous but I'm going to do my best and see what happens. Pass or fail I'm not going to stop practicing. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Shaun
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
kewms
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,135
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Many of the bokken takeaways are the same as jo. The entry is easier with the shorter weapon, but you have to be more aware of the edge.

Good luck!

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:35 AM   #11
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,248
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote: View Post
I agree with Joe, it's not the quantity of technique that is normally judged but the quality. In particular how well executed are the basics?
Shodan IMHO should be a test of basic competence - nothing more
Hi Phil,
Thanks for endorsing my views .Hope you are well .Cheers, Joe
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
SEG
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

We both passed! The ground work was extremely tough and very physically taxing. Once we stood up the rest went by very fast. It all seems like a blur. Anyway, we had a lot of fun during the test and then went out to a Japanese steakhouse for a celebratory lunch. Great time today!

Shaun
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #13
Mary Eastland
 
Mary Eastland's Avatar
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,272
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Yay! Congratulations.

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
Janet Rosen's Avatar
Location: Left Coast
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,108
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Congratulations!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #15
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,943
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Well done!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,150
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Well done!!!

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #17
Shadowfax
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 903
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
DearShaun,
Far be it for me to judge how a shodan grading should be conducted .I think any examiner who expects first kyu to demonstrate six sword taking waza is expecting too much.Emphasis on Kihon Waza should be the order of the day.Get the basics right.Cheers, Joe
My dojo requires knife taking at 2nd kyu and sword taking at 1st kyu as well as paired sword and jo kata.

As my teachers explained it, they did not want to have their students go into a shodan test having to suddenly learn the weapons stuff which is not practiced as frequently n class as open hand. I am grateful that they saw fit to create a curriculum that would have their students well prepared and comfortable with the weapons when the day comes. Especially more so now as my own shodan test is set to happen in a bit more than a week.

SEG congrats on a successful test. I can completely understand the concerns you had leading up to it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #18
SEG
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

We do knife take aways starting at 4th kyu, I think. We practice those a lot. This was the first Shodan test for my Sensei, so some learning curve is required. He has decided to add weapons into every class from now on. Before he had a separate weapons class which he'll sti have, but integrate the weapons into the normal classes as well.

After my apprehension about the weapons portion, I actually did pretty well. We did 12 jo and 9 bokken take aways. He basically said do four from each attack, tsuki and two menuchi's for jo and three for each attack with bokken. We got to choose the technique. It was quite fun and I really enjoyed that portion of the test.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #19
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,248
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Quote:
Shaun Gallagher wrote: View Post
We do knife take aways starting at 4th kyu, I think. We practice those a lot. This was the first Shodan test for my Sensei, so some learning curve is required. He has decided to add weapons into every class from now on. Before he had a separate weapons class which he'll sti have, but integrate the weapons into the normal classes as well.

After my apprehension about the weapons portion, I actually did pretty well. We did 12 jo and 9 bokken take aways. He basically said do four from each attack, tsuki and two menuchi's for jo and three for each attack with bokken. We got to choose the technique. It was quite fun and I really enjoyed that portion of the test.
Dear Shaun,
If you did the weapons work you describe above and body art well, I would suggest your rank[4th kyu ]does you an injustice.I would suggest your rank should be at least 1st Kyu or more.

\Cheers, Joe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #20
Shadowfax
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 903
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Shaun,
If you did the weapons work you describe above and body art well, I would suggest your rank[4th kyu ]does you an injustice.I would suggest your rank should be at least 1st Kyu or more.

\Cheers, Joe.
His current rank is shodan. He only said that in his dojo students start doing weapons work at 4t kyu. Where I train students start handling weapons very early as well. They start appearing on tests at 5th kyu beginning with simple suburi sets. By the time students get to 1st kyu they are quite comfortable with all of the weapons. This does make it a lot less intimidating and stressful than to try to learn to take away, sword, jo and knife as well as know 5 sword and 6 jo paired kata in time for a shodan test.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:16 AM   #21
Riai Maori
 
Riai Maori's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 134
New Zealand-Maori
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Quote:
Shaun Gallagher wrote: View Post
We do knife take aways starting at 4th kyu, I think. We practice those a lot. This was the first Shodan test for my Sensei, so some learning curve is required. He has decided to add weapons into every class from now on. Before he had a separate weapons class which he'll sti have, but integrate the weapons into the normal classes as well.

After my apprehension about the weapons portion, I actually did pretty well. We did 12 jo and 9 bokken take aways. He basically said do four from each attack, tsuki and two menuchi's for jo and three for each attack with bokken. We got to choose the technique. It was quite fun and I really enjoyed that portion of the test.
My old club focused on the quantity of Jo and Bokken nage rather than focus on the quality of this nage.

My new club has the total opposite approach.Tanto nage is practised from 6th Kyu, but they don't know this as we substitute the attack with a strike as we all know. Its the technique demonstrated that determines the final out come. The Iwama style I am being taught always disrupts the attack. Enter in explains Sensei. Rarely we draw Uke in, unless its for Atemi. Kihon training. After a few months we substitute the strike with a Tanto and to the beginners astonishment, nothing has changed in their technique. You can see their thirst and hunger for more development.

My new Sensei is a first generation student of the late Saito Sensei who awarded him his Shodan way back in the 80's and is very proficient in Weapons. We are going to Japan in 3 months to train with Nemoto Sensei, one of Saito Sensei traveling Uke's.

Motto tsuyoku
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:28 AM   #22
SEG
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
United_States
Offline
Re: Shodan testing

Richard,

My Sensei was a student of Saito Sensei and Nishio Sensei. We start off doing Iwama and then switch to mostly Nishio style after our 3rd kyu test. Our Sensei studied in Japan under Saito Sensei and Nishio Sensei in the early 90's mostly.

Shaun
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Santa Cruz Aikido Summer Retreat - Join us welcoming Motomichi Anno Sensei and others back to Santa Cruz!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shodan Testing at Hidden Valley Aikikai davew478 Testing 0 04-05-2011 07:57 PM
Testing for Shodan Jonathan Guzzo Testing 15 02-13-2010 09:52 PM
Testing Bewildered Rokyu Anonymous 7 09-10-2006 01:17 PM
Testing for shodan Koshinagesan Introductions 2 06-03-2005 02:04 PM
refusing a grading Kung Fu Liane Testing 39 05-09-2003 03:53 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2015 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2015 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate