Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #51
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland
Re: The most vital question. Who's going to win the world cup?

I think I lost some hair watching the England and USA matches!

I saw Bill Clinton in the stadium watching USA. I hope his heart was OK after that game.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #52
Walter Martindale
Canada

NZ Paraguay game starts at 2AM NZ time... Hmm. What do I have to do tomorrow... Oh, that's right - sign off on the redundancy package at work, and keep packing up and selling off my stuff in prep for heading to Canada. Hmm. Might just stay up and watch the game..
Or... sleep...
Whatever - Aikido starts in 30 minutes - time to go make thumping noises..
Old 06-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #53
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

C'mon All Whites, create history.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #54
brunotex

Dojo: Brazil Aikikai - Instituto Takemussu
Brazil

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Bruno:

Truth be told, Brazil is my #1 pick, although Argentina is playing better than them at the moment (despite their coach).

We tend to play Germany well and with the way that they are currently playing, that might have been a slightly better match for them. Got to love this sport!!!!!

Marc Abrams
Marc,

USA will play Ghana next round (06/26, Saturday)!!! and if winning, USA will play against the winner of Uruguay vs South Korea.
I think is quite possible for USA to dream about playing a semi-final. And, maybe,a semifinal against Brasil.

I remember the 1994 World Cup so well. Brasil vs USA was a beautiful game, despite that violent scene from Leonardo, that led the USA player to the hospital.... but Bebeto´s goal was awesome, and he saying "Eu te amo = I love you" to Romario after that goal, is on brazilian TV everyday during the WC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDGxXrCb9xw

Germany will play England. This is a "must watch" game...
Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #55
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Bruno Teixeira wrote: View Post
Marc,

USA will play Ghana next round (06/26, Saturday)!!! and if winning, USA will play against the winner of Uruguay vs South Korea.
I think is quite possible for USA to dream about playing a semi-final. And, maybe,a semifinal against Brasil.

I remember the 1994 World Cup so well. Brasil vs USA was a beautiful game, despite that violent scene from Leonardo, that led the USA player to the hospital.... but Bebeto´s goal was awesome, and he saying "Eu te amo = I love you" to Romario after that goal, is on brazilian TV everyday during the WC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDGxXrCb9xw

Germany will play England. This is a "must watch" game...
My newborn, youngest son was on my lap watching that game in 1994.....

US should be Ghana and Uruguay should be South Korea. Uruguay has better midfield control that we do, although I think that we have better, bigger finishers (although for some reason, the world cup seems to be big psychological block in the minds of a lot of those players). As long as we do not make our typical defensive lapses (leaving people unaccounted for right outside the box!), the game with Uruguay is a toss-up. If we beat Ghana, I think that we will have a psychological advantage in that the US is in better shape and clearly never cedes until the final whistle is blown. US vs. Brazil.... I can only hope that the US gives us two halves like the first have of the last time the US played Brazil......

Could you imagine the US making it to a World Cup final. I frankly am sick and tired of the officials intentionally trying to sink the US in what is now the third World Cup! FIFA leaders need to stop this blatant discrimination NOW! The US is a legitimate top third team in the world for at least the last six years. It is about time that we are treated fairly.

Marc Abrams
Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #56
Walter Martindale
Canada

Here we go - NZ v Paraguay about to start - national anthems playing.
I never thought I'd say this - Go All Whites!!!
W
Old 06-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #57
oisin bourke

Ireland

Gooalll Hondaaa!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #58
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
Gooalll Hondaaa!!!
I just watched that! Those two free kicks were awesome! ...For Japan, anyway.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:43 AM   #59
Darryl Cowens
New Zealand

Well, if World Cups were won for feverishly defending one's goal, showing a heap of ticker and punching way above your weight... our team would have won the cup..

3 pts from 3 games and unbeaten in pool play... not enough to make it through, but pretty damn good for a team which was supposed to get thrashed in every game, and that almost everyone said didn't deserve to be there.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #60
brunotex

Brazil

Italy is gone!!! Bah, have no words...

New Zealand made a fine job! No one expected that. Japan showed that is better practice with the Jabulani than keep complaining about it...

Marc,

Uruguay have great finishers! El Loco Abreu, Suarez and Forlán are pretty good. I agree that Uruguay´s midfield is more solid, but few teams keep their defensive tatics as USA. When USA find a player like Robben, Rooney or Ronaldo, their game will be less predictable, and then USA could dream about a title.

Regarding the officials, I am not sure if it is intentional all those calls against USA. Brazilian officials, for instance, are awful!!! Simon, who is in the World Cup, have been making enormous mistakes in the past years. Some teams simply refuse to have him as the official on their games.....

I am already with my blue jersey, waiting for Brazil vs. Portugal. Last time they met, Brazil won 6 x 2. Let´s keep this way!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #61
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I just watched that! Those two free kicks were awesome! ...For Japan, anyway.
The last goal was pretty classy too. Honda did a "Cruyff" style turn and sent the goalie and defenders to the shops. Denmark had the wind knocked out of them with those free kicks, but I've never seen a Japanese team play better!

Great first time out for New Zealand. They've enough world class athletes in that country to make a fine team!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #62
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Japan showed that is better practice with the Jabulani than keep complaining about it...
Amen on that. After seeing so many "floaters" going into orbit, it was fantastic watching the Japan free kicks. Amazing touch.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #63
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Italy is gone!!! Bah, have no words...

New Zealand made a fine job! No one expected that. Japan showed that is better practice with the Jabulani than keep complaining about it...

Marc,

Uruguay have great finishers! El Loco Abreu, Suarez and Forlán are pretty good. I agree that Uruguay´s midfield is more solid, but few teams keep their defensive tatics as USA. When USA find a player like Robben, Rooney or Ronaldo, their game will be less predictable, and then USA could dream about a title.

Regarding the officials, I am not sure if it is intentional all those calls against USA. Brazilian officials, for instance, are awful!!! Simon, who is in the World Cup, have been making enormous mistakes in the past years. Some teams simply refuse to have him as the official on their games.....

I am already with my blue jersey, waiting for Brazil vs. Portugal. Last time they met, Brazil won 6 x 2. Let´s keep this way!!!
Bruno:

This may be Brazil's toughest game! They must play 150% of what they have!

It would be easy to say mistakes with the officials in US games, but the mystery foul for Ghana, hand ball by Germany in the box,.... This world cup, with violating rules regarding on-sides and scorer advantage- 2X. FIFA has quietly been dealing with accusations of game fixing for years. That should say it all.

GO BRAZIL!

Marc Abrams

Ps- Japan played one of the best games EVER yesterday. What a beautiful game to watch. Best free kicks of the tournament!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #64
mathewjgano

United_States

Aw! Good try team USA!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #65
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Amen on that. After seeing so many "floaters" going into orbit, it was fantastic watching the Japan free kicks. Amazing touch.
I love that ball! My soccer team has one of those and it's awesome to head; feels like I'm not getting any brain damage at all!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #66
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
I love that ball! My soccer team has one of those and it's awesome to head; feels like I'm not getting any brain damage at all!
That is a bit of a conundrum, though, isn't it? Maybe the brain damage is just so severe you no longer realize it?

Ah, sorry, I'm just a bit blue that the US just couldn't bury the ones they should have.

I should also say I'm annoyed. I wanted one of those balls just to have, but the wife found out what they cost...

Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #67
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
That is a bit of a conundrum, though, isn't it? Maybe the brain damage is just so severe you no longer realize it?
Oh I stopped noticing it a long time ago, but my wife likes to make sure I'm aware just how damaged my brain seems sometimes!

Quote:
Ah, sorry, I'm just a bit blue that the US just couldn't bury the ones they should have.

I should also say I'm annoyed. I wanted one of those balls just to have, but the wife found out what they cost...
I feel your pain. I say I'm rooting for Argentina, but that's just because I figure nobody will take me seriously if I toss the USA team out there. They're proving me wrong more and more though. I love seeing soccer grow in America. Our time will come eventually! And if it makes you feel any better, every time that ball gets cleared way off the field into some bramble or busy road my cousin who owns that ball gets a mildly panicked look to his eye. As sweet as that ball is, it's WAY sweeter to use someone else's!!!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #68
lbb
United_States

As things stand right now, I think the "bracket of death" is Paraguay-Japan-Spain-Portugal. I predict Netherlands to give Brazil a bit of a scare in the quarters, but Brazil will prevail. Uruguay to take Ghana and win that one. Germany and Argentina will advance to the quarters but no bet beyond that.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #69
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
I love seeing soccer grow in America. Our time will come eventually!
Absolutely. I played growing up and have been addicted for years. My daughter got interested with some friends playing and now she's in club play. An interesting aside is that I was talking with the guy who runs LAFC here in Southern California. He said that that US Soccer is increasingly pushing for better men's programs at the youth level. Ironically the reason is that US Women's soccer is already so powerful on the world stage as compared with the men. In a sense women's soccer arrived already. It's the men who are due and there is a concerted effort at the youth level to get more money, better training, etc. in the soccer programs. I think the US finally showed that we're capable of playing at the highest levels. And given the size of the US and the incredible growth of youth soccer here, the world had better pay attention.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #70
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

England players should be put in the stocks and pelted with cabbages after such a dismal performance.Capello would have been better going to the nearest local public house and picking a team from the first 11 people he met.I bet the 11 picked would have been better than the pathetic bunch of highly paid failures.Only the goalie was any any good, the rest absolute rubbish.Even if the disallowed goal had been given the Germans blizkrieged the British bulldogs [sorry my mistake] the British poodles.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #71
oisin bourke

Ireland

Isn't The USA applying to host the World Cup?

What happened to England? They were really good in qualifying, but they've looked like a different team in South Africa.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #72
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Absolutely. I played growing up and have been addicted for years. My daughter got interested with some friends playing and now she's in club play. An interesting aside is that I was talking with the guy who runs LAFC here in Southern California. He said that that US Soccer is increasingly pushing for better men's programs at the youth level. Ironically the reason is that US Women's soccer is already so powerful on the world stage as compared with the men. In a sense women's soccer arrived already. It's the men who are due and there is a concerted effort at the youth level to get more money, better training, etc. in the soccer programs. I think the US finally showed that we're capable of playing at the highest levels. And given the size of the US and the incredible growth of youth soccer here, the world had better pay attention.

We had a visit from Bob Bigelow (ex NBA), lead author of "Just let the kids play: How to stop other adults from ruining your child's fun and success in youth sports" at a sports coaching conference here in NZ a couple of years ago. One comment he made - "There are about 4 million people in New Zealand - there are about 4 million junior soccer players in America" Or did he say "4 million junior soccer coaches in America" I forget, but a lot of people got thoughtful.. (well, a lot for NZ)...

Doesn't really matter - with that many kids playing the round-ball football, the States will have an impact when more of them get to their late teens and twenties.

Now, if these pro players could stop play-acting injuries...
W
Old 07-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #73
brunotex

Brazil

Oh, Brasil is out.. That second half was depressing...

But have you seen Uruguai vs.. Ghana??? WOW, that is football!!!

Now Argentina vs. Germany. I´m opening an Isenbeck and supporting Argentina....
Old 07-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #74
NagaBaba

Germany 4 - Argentina 0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow that was a match....I can't believe, how Germany is strong. They will win a Cup for sure.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 07-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #75
lbb
United_States

After that handball vs. Ghana, I hope Uruguay gets the crap kicked out of them by the Netherlands.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!