Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
One Hundred and Sixty-two

In Post 52 I described an exercise related to having both weight underside and no weight on my feet. The other night Mary had us practice another similar exercise that employed the well known two people lifting one person Ki exercise.

Standing in natural stance I have one person grab each of my arms with two hands and proceed to lift. My hands, wrists slightly curled, hang at my sides with elbows only very slightly bent. As long as I remain relaxed and centered I can remain on the ground despite my partners' best efforts to lift me. The minute I allow tension to seep into my elbows or shoulders my partners will be able to lift me. If I lose unbendable arm one or both of my shoulders will rise, destroying my structure and unbalancing me.

Once I am satisfied the my partners cannot lift me I begin to move about the mat as they continue lifting. I am able to move freely, as though sliding over an iced pond. From my partners' perspectives I am heavy, from my own I feel light as a feather, my feet firmly but barely touching the floor as I move about.

This is the feeling of no weight on your feet. Continued practice of this exercise is a terrific aid in developing the feeling of weight underside while moving.

(Original blog post may be found here.)