Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #101
jxa127
Re: The purpose of Aikido?

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
I'd suggest this applies to the view of aikido practice as misogi -- for practice to form the sort of crucible in which something of significant and distinct about the nature of being human emerges in an interaction or within a person, the interactions, if stylized, must also have the vitality of budo.
Very nicely put. I hadn't made the connection to misogi in that way before.

Thanks,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 12-31-2015, 01:23 AM   #102
"Jusma"
IP Hash: 9a6650b8
Anonymous User

I ended my aikido carrier same reasons as thread starter wrote about. What does it do to practise harmony, if there is no conflict present anytime during attacks in aikido class? Leads to egoism, delusions by my experience. However aikido has been one of my greatest passions.

I came back doing my own class, which showed some promise. I added some wrestling, sparring, basic punches and kicks to aikido priciples from start. Yes, a student made a spontaneus ykkyo during sparr after two months training.

If trained honestly sparring is required, just my opinion. So, I am thinking more to use modern combat techniques with aikidopriciciples of movement and non-resistance. Standing fighting, ground work, weapons training for it's exellent impact devoloping proper concentration and different distance, timing.

Those would be modeled into those three caregories. No any belt degrees. Boxing and wrestling does not have them, so why any combat art should have any? It's more japanese social code than western thing. Level of skill is anyway obviously seen and respect becomes without any "degrees".

But this cannot be called aikido anymore, or can it? Do I need to invent new/old name like Modern Aikibudo?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #103
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

O Sensei said you have to find your own aikido.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #104
lbb
United_States

The thread that wouldn't die...because the noobs keep bringing it back to life.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #105
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

Oh be nice. Our words outlive us here, and so do the questions and opinions. Answers do change over time.

I have been wrestling with posting something about impending war, religious motivated violence, and terrorism on this international forum. There are many quotes from O Sensei about "The Art of Peace" and Aikido having a role in creating and maintaining peace. Does Aikido, do we, have a role to play in world peace? What are you doing yourself out there?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:52 AM   #106
Star Dragon
Dojo: Yamashina dojo, Kyoto and others
Switzerland

Ah yes, the question of Aikido's "street effectiveness" again. It's a complex one.

There is a lot involved in self-defence, and much of it is psychological. Do you radiate confidence? Are you able to resolve a situation in its preliminary stage, without anybody getting hurt? Such will go a long way in keeping you and others safe. And yes, ideally, "the way of harmony" will enhance your skills in this regard.

But of course, people asking this question usually want to know what happens when the proverbial shit hits the fan. Well, as far as all-round self-defence training is concerned, Aikido does have a number of problems. I will outline only two of them here; let's call them "beginning and end".

Attacks in Aikido are not realistic

In a real altercation, when people grab you, this will often be immediately followed by a punch, knee, head butt, or violent push. And they certainly won't keep holding on to your wrist forever, allowing you to do a nice ikkyo on them! Some folks will maintain that this is just the way we practice; it's for getting proper body mechanics down, and so fourth. But take my word for it, in a real situation, you will fight the way you have trained! No time to think, you will simply do what comes most naturally to you: What you have ingrained in your subconscious mind by countless repetitions. So if you want to be functional, better make sure that your training is functional - right from the start.

When real world attackers strike, it will most often take the form of a roundhouse punch delivered with the hand that is further away from you. I have heard people say they could defend against it the way they defend against a yokomen-uchi, but that's quite a different kind of attack. So again, if you want to be able to handle a wild 'haymaker', by all means, have them thrown at you in your training. How about using protective gear to make your training more realistic?

Not to mention weapon attacks. No knife fighter will be idiotic enough to 'step through' with a hyper-extended thrust, allowing you to do your neat tenkan evasion, followed by a kote-gaeshi. A series of stabs from close distance is much more likely. Or, if they have been influenced by a Filipino or Indonesian style, they might come at you drawing tight curves with the knife that you will quickly happen to be in the way of. How are you going to deal with that?

Finishes in Aikido are not realistic

In fairness, that depends on the situation. Sometimes, that submission armlock is in fact all it takes to resolve a situation - especially, if the situation is not that serious, or you can rely on quick help from others. But consider what you would do if that were not the case. You can't hold an aggressor down indefinitely. Plus, once he signals that he is in pain, you will likely release the hold, simply because that's what you have been training countless times. He might even go: "I give up, man!" - and you will believe it because you have only been dealing with nice, cooperative people so far...

Let's not forget, on the street (or in a bar), aggressor often have buddies. So there you are, safely pinning your opponent to the floor, while his friend demonstrates to you the effect of a whiskey bottle when used "externally".

Sure, we have our atemis. I have met advanced practitioners seriously claiming that their totally untrained uppercut would surely knock out an aggressor, and their yokomen-uchi delivered to the side of the neck would kill them! Well, practitioners of the various striking arts work long and hard to achieve that kind of effectiveness, using various kind of equipment. Surely, they must be doing it all wrong...

So, in conclusion, yes, Aikido principles and techniques can be part of your self-defence art repertory, but only if they are trained as such, which means, with attacks that are as realistic as it gets, done as effectively as possible with speed and power, and supplemented by techniques and training methods used in other arts.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:19 AM   #107
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Thread originates back to 2010 about anonymous someone who then stopped practising Aikido.
After five years I doubt your answers will be received....

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 01-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #108
Star Dragon
Dojo: Yamashina dojo, Kyoto and others
Switzerland

That's okay. This topic is timeless, and somebody else might want to chime in.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #109
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Patrick Buchbinder wrote: View Post
That's okay. This topic is timeless, and somebody else might want to chime in.
I'm sure they want to chime in; I question whether anyone has anything new to say on the subject. It's the blind men and the elephant.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #110
StefanHultberg
Dojo: Roskilde
Denmark

Aikido has so many purposes for so many different people. For me it's fun, I get exercise, and it's very relaxing. Sure, there are many other, and deeper benefits for me, but those should be enough. And seriously, if we're talking martial effectiveness - I'm pretty sure my hands are lethal, at least my wrists hurt like hell

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!