Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #26
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States
Re: Washing Hakama & Belt

There have been times at seminars or while practicing at other dojos, where upon folding my hakama, it would "speak to me" telling me it's time for a washing. When I would say "time to wash my hakama" aloud...I was looked upon by others as if I were from outer-space...
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #27
cguzik

As a matter of courtesy for my training partners, I would not show up on the mat in a keikogi that had not been washed since my last practice.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #28
Adam Huss

United_States

Maggie,
That's pretty gross. Someone should definitely say something to those guys with stinky dogi. Some people don't realize that if you smell something...whatever is causing that smell exists even though you can't see it! I visited a dojo in Chicago where they had a washing machine in-house and most people just left their uniform there while dojo cho tossed them in the wash while he stayed after/in between class to take care of whatever he has to take care of. My dojo has a good relationship with the cleaner's a couple blocks down the street...in another thread one of the student's wrote about getting his pleats stitched there...so I think your right on target with wanting to check that place next to your dojo out. You can probably work our deals if you give them enough business.

Question for all:
How does bleaching do on uwagi with colored patches on them? My patch has black, red, gray, and gold thread in it. I normally wash it and pre-spray with one of those stain getter-outter bottles...but I'd like to no-kidding bleach my dogi once in a while as well.

Sweat comment:
I've noticed that I sweat way more now...I'm 27...than I did when I was 15 or even 23. I switch back and forth between three dogi so I'm not constantly washing one and wearing it out. Our reishiki dictates that everyone have clean breath, clipped nails, and a serviceable and clean dogi for every class (obviously judgement call...I've only seen people corrected for hygiene-related issues a few times)

V/R
A

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #29
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

When I wear the hakama in class (rarely), I just get it drycleaned when needed. May cost a little but it comes out much nicer. The Gi gets washed every week, or more, depending on the usage. Can't stand, nor tolerate, someone with a smelly gi. YUK!!!! And I have come across a few like that and have refused to work with them. I could tell you horror stories about working out with people with smelly gis but won't. Have a good day.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #30
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Several of the yudansha at my dojo only wash theirs a few times a year. They mostly hang them up downstairs after class. Interesting to hear all the different views.

Like Adam, I have aquired a couple gi, so I really have no excuse not to wash mine. Each gi gets washed every other day. I actually have three gi, but one pair of pants has a hole in the knee... so I stopped wearing those.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #31
Adam Huss

United_States

Oh yes,

Does anyone have experience washing a silk (or silk-based, rather) obi? I'm guessing its best to hand-wash belts anyway...

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #32
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Well think about this for a moment.

You're on this mat training barefoot...
You're sweating, then falling/rolling/tumbling on the mat.
Your fellow students are doing the same.

Thus no matter how often you clean your mat, it's not clean once you start training. As you train germs, dirt, sweat. and funk from everyone in your class gets transferred to your hakama.

I dry clean my hakama (simply because ironing it will take to damn long). at least once a month.

I wash my belt about the same. (sometime I wonder if I should go to weekly...)

Personally I'm flabbergasted that people DON'T was this stuff.

I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the Aikipokey and throw you all about
Old 05-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #33
RED
United_States

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
Maggie,
That's pretty gross. Someone should definitely say something to those guys with stinky dogi. Some people don't realize that if you smell something...whatever is causing that smell exists even though you can't see it! I visited a dojo in Chicago where they had a washing machine in-house and most people just left their uniform there while dojo cho tossed them in the wash while he stayed after/in between class to take care of whatever he has to take care of. My dojo has a good relationship with the cleaner's a couple blocks down the street...in another thread one of the student's wrote about getting his pleats stitched there...so I think your right on target with wanting to check that place next to your dojo out. You can probably work our deals if you give them enough business.

Question for all:
How does bleaching do on uwagi with colored patches on them? My patch has black, red, gray, and gold thread in it. I normally wash it and pre-spray with one of those stain getter-outter bottles...but I'd like to no-kidding bleach my dogi once in a while as well.

Sweat comment:
I've noticed that I sweat way more now...I'm 27...than I did when I was 15 or even 23. I switch back and forth between three dogi so I'm not constantly washing one and wearing it out. Our reishiki dictates that everyone have clean breath, clipped nails, and a serviceable and clean dogi for every class (obviously judgement call...I've only seen people corrected for hygiene-related issues a few times)

V/R
A
It took us a month once to track down a smell in the dojo. Turns out it was coming from the men's changing room...from one particular gi. The owner(you know who you are!) was corrected, and there was a decision to force them to wash that gi regularly. But I think he literally went more than a month without washing it.

We got the same thing about hygiene. There are nail clippers and mouth wash, and Deodorant spray in the bathroom for a reason.
But I think only me and the Sensei have yet to use the mouth wash. We've had the same bottle for a year...

MM
Old 05-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #34
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Robert Jackson wrote: View Post
Well think about this for a moment.

You're on this mat training barefoot...
You're sweating, then falling/rolling/tumbling on the mat.
Your fellow students are doing the same.
Not to mention those who walked into the rest room then came out on the mat. Or those who were walking around their house barefoot all day, toss on shoes, go to the dojo, take them off, then step on the mat... Next rub your gi into the brew repeatedly. Sweat a bit. Let it dry. And repeat. Hmmmm, sounds yummy...

I have a couple gi. Heck, on some nights when I do multiple classes I'll sometimes change gi tops to "retire" the first sweaty one. Just out of courtesy for my fellow students. Get home, toss them in the wash, maybe add a bit of bleach, and hit go. By the time I'm wound down enough to get some sleep they go in the dryer. All at late night "reduced" rates for energy.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #35
akiy

In looking through the polls I used to conduct here on AikiWeb, I ran across one taken a little bit over five years ago:

"Do you wash your aikido belt?"
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=217

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #36
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Thanks Jun!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #37
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Not to mention those who walked into the rest room then came out on the mat..
UGH! I HATE THAT!!! I always put my shoes or zori or SOMEthing on my feet before going into the bathroom.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #38
Walter Martindale
Canada

A few comments...
Our dojo in Christchurch has a pair of "jandals" (flip-flops) inside the door of the loo, and people are expected to wear them between the door and the toilet.
I don't iron or dry clean the hakama. Throw it in a big net bag and wash it, and immediately take it out and fold it with all of the pleats. Then, lay it out (not all bundled up, but the pleats folded) on a towel on a drying rack, or on the ironing board, and let it dry. Creases stay in.
I'm currently working on a gi top that was purchased in 2000 - it's on its last legs and starting to get pretty thin in a lot of places - a gi that was purchased in 2006, and waiting delivery of one purchased through Takase sensei (NZ Shihan) connections with a Chinese gi manufacturer. Whether the gi gets washed or not depends on what training was done in it - if it was a hard one, the gi will be full of sweat (and all the other nasties) and will get washed. If the gi is essentially dry, the wash happens after session #2.
Re: Stink... On rare occasions I forget to take the gi out of the car boot/trunk between training sessions. I know right away whether I'm training next time when opening the gi-bag, by the smell. No smell? Training. Smell? Watching the practice... I won't impose that stink on myself, let alone others.
Once, in a summer in Vancouver, BC, I sweat about 4 kg during a judo practice, threw the gi in the trunk of the car after training, forgot about it, and couldn't even bear handling the thing when I arrived at the next scheduled training session. It was almost like I'd put a steak in there and closed it for a week in the summer. Washed it twice before I could use it again.

I think that after tonight's session I'll give the hakama a wash - it has, after all, been a few months.
Walter
Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #39
RED
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
In looking through the polls I used to conduct here on AikiWeb, I ran across one taken a little bit over five years ago:

"Do you wash your aikido belt?"
http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=217

-- Jun
lol, thanks Jun, I feel less crazy now.

MM
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #40
RED
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
UGH! I HATE THAT!!! I always put my shoes or zori or SOMEthing on my feet before going into the bathroom.
Meh, the biggest pet peeve is when people run out the door barefoot, then back onto the mat. Their feet are black!

MM
Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #41
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
It took us a month once to track down a smell in the dojo. Turns out it was coming from the men's changing room...from one particular gi. The owner(you know who you are!) was corrected, and there was a decision to force them to wash that gi regularly. But I think he literally went more than a month without washing it.

We got the same thing about hygiene. There are nail clippers and mouth wash, and Deodorant spray in the bathroom for a reason.
But I think only me and the Sensei have yet to use the mouth wash. We've had the same bottle for a year...
There's always one... (that guy)

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #42
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Meh, the biggest pet peeve is when people run out the door barefoot, then back onto the mat. Their feet are black!
We've actually been really pushing that at the dojo. Not so much running outside...I don't think anyone does that...but there are two areas where one can exit the mat to the rest of the dojo (separated by a wall). One area goes to the carpeted area with benches/chairs that leads to the rest of the dojo...the other area exits to the tile floor in front of the doorway where we store shoes. Shoes are not permitted on the carpeted floor and Sensei wanted us to ensure people aren't exiting the mat onto the tile area as that is where all the crud from outside sits (until we sweep at the end of class).

Also, we mop every night with professional mat cleaner.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #43
RED
United_States

Quote:
We've actually been really pushing that at the dojo. Not so much running outside...I don't think anyone does that...but there are two areas where one can exit the mat to the rest of the dojo (separated by a wall). One area goes to the carpeted area with benches/chairs that leads to the rest of the dojo...the other area exits to the tile floor in front of the doorway where we store shoes. Shoes are not permitted on the carpeted floor and Sensei wanted us to ensure people aren't exiting the mat onto the tile area as that is where all the crud from outside sits (until we sweep at the end of class).

Also, we mop every night with professional mat cleaner.
The cleaner the mats the less dirty you get. I think that's important.

MM
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #44
Adam Huss

United_States

i remember when in high school the majority of the wrestling team got ringworm because they were cleaning the mats and the weight room. Good thing I lifted at the YMCA! It was really gross. We made them all sit together at lunch and not associate with the rest of us until they were fixed!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #45
lbb
United_States

Quote:
On a safety note -- sharing nail clippers is not a good idea. Skin breaks are common when using nail clippers even if there is not visible blood, and there are pathogens -- hepatitis B, to mention just one -- that will live happily for a week on a pair of nail clippers, just waiting to be transmitted to the next person who uses them.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #46
Adam Huss

United_States

I always referred to the dojo nail clippers as the clippers of shame! They were pretty nasty and rusty looking and I think it served as a reminder to not forget to have hygiene taken care of before you come to the dojo. I am sure if someone really needed on the spot nail clipping, one of their friends would have relatively clean clippers...I know I always did. And there is always some kind of peroxide or alcohol to douse those things with if needed.

Now on to the discussion about boys from the kids class not taking time to aim when they go to pee! I think my teacher had to take them into the office with their parents and have a little "come to Jesus" moment with them. As he said to me "I see one of those kids go into the bathroom and they come back out like four seconds later....they can't be that good." Regardless, one of the seniors usually rush to mop the heck out of the bathroom before we start (after kids class). Its always a priority.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #47
Christine Morris

Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan, Fort Washington, PA
United_States

It's been enlightening to read everyone's take on hakama, obi and gi laundering frequency, and aikidoka hygiene in general.

As far as hygiene goes, I'm happy to report that everybody I train with at my dojo (with the exception of *one* guy who will remain nameless) not only are clean, they often smell damn good. Several of my sempai dry-clean their hakama from time to time.

I hand-washed my hakama for the first time last week; I got it in July. I hung it on the line to dry. I washed my obi too, risking the wrath of the gods: I was teasingly warned that doing so would "wash the training out." I wash gi's after every use. Hell, I even started using a bit of fabric softener so they come out extra-fresh. When it comes to aikido training, I appreciate training partners who have high standards of cleanliness, and I imagine they feel the same way.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #48
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
lol, thanks Jun, I feel less crazy now.
Well, I don't see how that is much consolation. First of all they're talking about the obi only. That is usually hidden away for the most part under the hakama. Not washing a gi for an extended time is another thing entirely...

Heck, there are those who claim that upwards of 30-40% don't wash their hands after using a public restroom. That so many don't is hardly a good excuse.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #49
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Heck, there are those who claim that upwards of 30-40% don't wash their hands after using a public restroom. That so many don't is hardly a good excuse.
That's a conservative estimate. I travel a lot and I hardly ever see people washing their hands after they go potty. I've said stuff to a few people, but mostly I just give em dirty looks.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #50
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
That's a conservative estimate. I travel a lot and I hardly ever see people washing their hands after they go potty. I've said stuff to a few people, but mostly I just give em dirty looks.
There's a really bad joke.. Army guy says, "we're taught to wash our hands after we use the toilet". Navy guy says, "we're taught not to get any on our hands." There, I said it was bad...

I keep a bottle of Purell or other equivalent in the map pocket of the car for after Aikido - we grab our feet during warm up. We scrabble on the floor, we grab other's wrists (and others grab our wrists) after grabbing their feet, using the toilet, etc., and - I wash my hands or use the Purell...

While we need to not be obsessive about cleanliness - our immune systems need some stimulus - use it or lose it, we also need to look after ourselves and attempt to not share too many bugs.

Whee.
Walter

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!