Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
aikiphoenix
Dojo: Aikido Shobukan Dojo/Washington, DC
United_States
"Aikido Style" Gi supplies other than Bujin

It is with great sadness recently that I found out Bujin is up for sale. Hopefully they will return soon but in the meantime I'm needing a gi for training and would very much prefer their "aikido style" gi's with shorter arms.

Does any other supplier make this? Are there any retailers out there that still have the Bujin Design in stock anyone knows of?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
David Maidment
United Nations
Re: "Aikido Style" Gi supplies other than Bujin

Nine Circles
Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

E-Bogu.com is another worthwhile source, located in California. Good products, great service, fast shipping.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 04-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
E-Bogu.com is another worthwhile source, located in California. Good products, great service, fast shipping.
I picked up one of their hidritex lined gi and it's pretty darn nice. The lining really seems to work and it's a very soft, comfortable, well made gi. The sizing chart is a size off after a few wash cycles though.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
JRY
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
I picked up one of their hidritex lined gi and it's pretty darn nice. The lining really seems to work and it's a very soft, comfortable, well made gi. The sizing chart is a size off after a few wash cycles though.
could you please elaborate? been looking at getting one of these for awhile
so if i'm a size 5 it will shrink to a size 4 after a few washes?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
JRY
United Kingdom

Quote:
Andy Boncek wrote: View Post
It is with great sadness recently that I found out Bujin is up for sale. Hopefully they will return soon but in the meantime I'm needing a gi for training and would very much prefer their "aikido style" gi's with shorter arms.

Does any other supplier make this? Are there any retailers out there that still have the Bujin Design in stock anyone knows of?

Thanks!
As already quoted nine circles makes a decent aikido gi, not sure about postage to the states though as they're UK based. just did a google search and they might be coming to the US?

have you had a look at Tozando?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Rob Watson
United_States

I don't know what an aikido gi is ...

Toraki has some nice stuff (performance version anyway). I like it as they come in 1/2 sizes so a better fit is realized. The full length 'knee' pad reinforcement is a welcome find.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Several of my friends have purchased the lined E-Bogu gi and most don't seem to care for the lining and have removed it. I've only purchased their "deluxe aikido gi" and it is much heavier. I haven't had any shrinkage problems with it, but the arms and legs are shorter than when new. The body is still fine after many washings with hot water and a hot dryer.

I've been wearing gi with the label "Besu" sewn in. I don't know the manufacturer and haven't been able to find out the source. My Sensei buys them from a friend who imports them from Japan. Pretty pricey (about $250), but they are of superb quality and wear like iron while being as soft as on old cotton tee shirt. My oldest is about five years old now and is starting to show some fraying around the collar from my five o'clock shadow - I'm clean shaven, but have a beard like a wire brush and I don't think even stainless steel would not show wear on my collars. I like these even better than the one Tozando I have and it is great in it's own right.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
RED
United_States

Quote:
Great buy there.
There aikido style hakama is the most comfortable hakama I've ever had. I actually prefer it over bunjin's. But e-bogu don't have women's cut hakama...

MM
Old 04-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Jerry Teo wrote: View Post
could you please elaborate? been looking at getting one of these for awhile
so if i'm a size 5 it will shrink to a size 4 after a few washes?
Going by their sizing chart, I should have gotten a 3, but after reading comments I went with a 4. Out of the box it was probably perfect. Pants came right to the top of my ankle, sleeves to my wrist. Great fit in the waist and chest. After washing the length on both the sleeves, pants and top have shrunk up a good bit. That's not a problem for me, because I prefer short pants and sleeves, but if one were not a fan of that fit, you'd probably want to go two sizes up from their chart. The pants and top fit great otherwise still.

Just try it on when you get it and if it fits the way you want it before it's washed, assume it will shrink up a good bit and keep or return it accordingly.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
JRY
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Going by their sizing chart, I should have gotten a 3, but after reading comments I went with a 4. Out of the box it was probably perfect. Pants came right to the top of my ankle, sleeves to my wrist. Great fit in the waist and chest. After washing the length on both the sleeves, pants and top have shrunk up a good bit. That's not a problem for me, because I prefer short pants and sleeves, but if one were not a fan of that fit, you'd probably want to go two sizes up from their chart. The pants and top fit great otherwise still.

Just try it on when you get it and if it fits the way you want it before it's washed, assume it will shrink up a good bit and keep or return it accordingly.
Thanks for the feedback m8
that's not a problem for me as am actually a fan of shorter sleeves and pants. so I guess in this case I should follow their size chart
Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Nine Circles USA
Dojo: Shinpukan Osaka, Japan
United_States

[quote=Jerry Teo;255720]As already quoted nine circles makes a decent aikido gi, not sure about postage to the states though as they're UK based. just did a google search and they might be coming to the US?

You can now get Nine Circles quality clothing and equipment in the USA. Search for for Nine Circles USA and have a look.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

We've been buying generic judo gis from Daisy at Ebay for about a year now, & everyone seems happy with them.
Moderately priced, at about $35.00, & have worn well for us.
Advanced/long time students might like something a little higher end, but these are great as group purchases for the dojo.

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
bernardkwan
Dojo: Aikido Doyukai Hong Kong
Hong Kong

Okada Budogu is our official supplier here in Hong Kong. They are mainly a kendo supplier, but also have Aikido gi and hakama. Their Gis are not cheap but really soft thick Aikido gis with shorter arms. You can specify a certain amount of customization in your e-mail also.

They use the same OEM supplier in China as Tozando at a fraction of the price. If price were no object I would still go for Iwata in Tokyo but this is a pretty good second choice.

www.okada-budogu.com

They ship to US and Internationally.

Last edited by bernardkwan : 04-26-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
David Yap
Malaysia

In 17 years of practice, I have gone through 5 sets of dogi plus one still in its wrappers. The one that I use currently and the extra in its wrappers are from Isami (made in Japan) and the dogi are reasonably priced.

http://www.isami.co.jp/hayashi/iteminfo/iteminfo_e.asp

Look for ik-100 model

Last edited by David Yap : 04-27-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

Budovideos also offer an aikido style gi under the Kaizen brand. I haven't worn it myself so I can't say how good it is but it's cut specifically for aikidoka:

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...33&cat=&page=1
Old 04-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #17
MBaraz
United_States

Bujin Design is the sine qua non of Aikido gear. They are the best of the best for dogi. Their 12 oz all cotton white duck fabric looks too stiff to be comfortable but (after a couple washes) they are perfect. It has the right sleeve length and the jacket doesn't come come undone even in vigorous randori.

And pants... hasn't anybody else figured out there are these new things called "zippers" (nylon) and another cutting edge technology, "Velcro" along with a nylon webbed belt around the waist? They are the only company who I have found who has discovered these 20th century apparel devices. Has anybody else found a quality but modern dogi... at any price?

Last edited by MBaraz : 04-30-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #18
Diane Stevenson
United_States
Exclamation Re: "Aikido Style" Gi supplies other than Bujin

I MISS BUJIN!!!

Yes, ok my dogi from ebogu is acceptable. But Bujin made a women's cut jacket that actually FIT. I know i'm a minority here, but it's so nice to have something the fits ME well, instead of something that fits a male well and me so-so.

Also ditto on the modern apparel fastenings. Drawstrings *sigh* i live and practice in Arizona. The dojo is 85 to 90 degrees at least in the summer with the ac going full force at night. 'scuse me for being graphic, but unknotting sweat-soaked drawstrings is on my top-ten list of annoying things.

oh, Bujin, will we ever see he likes of you again?

...not as evil as I could be
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #19
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States

I can attest to the quality of the E-bogu Aikido gi. It shrank perfectly after one washing, and it feels very sturdy in the collar. I love my gi!

"Hey! You got your kotegaeshi in my peanut butter!"
Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

I will miss the Bujin women's aikido gi and hakama, too. Bujin is one of the few (or only) manufacturers that actually included width/girth into their sizing. I have recently gained a lot of weight and their regular XL aikido gi fits me perfectly; however, a regular size 5 gi is to small around not even closing in the front and the regular size 6 gi is way too long everywhere. And even when I was in shape it was impossible to find a gi that actually closed in the front and kept me covered up. Traditional gis would initally fit but then shrink, but Bujin always were true to size.

As far as alternatives to women's gi and pants, I have purchased the women's 8 oz. Middleweight Brushed Cotton dogi and pants from Century Martial Arts. The fabric is nice and soft and the pants have elastic waists. (They have a nylon cord but you can easily pull it out, but it's not nearly as bad as the drawstring dogi pants.) They don't adjust the length for you like Bujin did, but you will find that they fit nice. You could just wear your workout bra underneath and still feel covered up. The sizing chart provided is true to size. The pricing is affordable, too.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Un...al_Jacket.aspx

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Un...tic_Pants.aspx

Anne Marie Giri
Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote: View Post
As far as alternatives to women's gi and pants, I have purchased the women's 8 oz. Middleweight Brushed Cotton dogi and pants from Century Martial Arts. The fabric is nice and soft and the pants have elastic waists. (They have a nylon cord but you can easily pull it out, but it's not nearly as bad as the drawstring dogi pants.) They don't adjust the length for you like Bujin did, but you will find that they fit nice. You could just wear your workout bra underneath and still feel covered up. The sizing chart provided is true to size. The pricing is affordable, too.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Un...al_Jacket.aspx

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Un...tic_Pants.aspx
I find the sizing chart a bit confusing. Unisex sizes for a women's dogi, and measurements in weight and height only... how should I think? I'm 163 cm tall/short so that's size 3, "small". But my weight would put me in size 4, or possibly even 5.

In regular clothes stores I nowadays need size XL. But that's European sizes - I've heard that the American sizes differ. I'll possibly buy trousers from Century... and since it's the butt that is the problem I suppose I should go for size 5.

Buying from across the Atlantic not really understanding the sizes is not fun
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #22
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote: View Post
I find the sizing chart a bit confusing. Unisex sizes for a women's dogi, and measurements in weight and height only... how should I think? I'm 163 cm tall/short so that's size 3, "small". But my weight would put me in size 4, or possibly even 5.

In regular clothes stores I nowadays need size XL. But that's European sizes - I've heard that the American sizes differ. I'll possibly buy trousers from Century... and since it's the butt that is the problem I suppose I should go for size 5.

Buying from across the Atlantic not really understanding the sizes is not fun
I have a century catalog and it has sizing just for the women's gi, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. The women's gi's only come in XS, S, M, L and XL. If you give me your inseam, hip, waist and chest in inches (you can pm me) I can easily tell you what size you will be.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #23
Hanna B
Sweden

Oh! I am talking about the information on the website. The chart can be found at every dogi page including the womens'. Thanks very much for your offer! I might come back to you.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #24
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Love these guys. Just bought a bokken and jo from them.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #25
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

I just bought a pair of gi bottoms from Piranha gear. The sizing chart was very easy to understand. Customer service was awesome, shipping was fast, and the quality of the pants is fantastic. Best fit and most comfortable gi pants I have had so far. Kinda expensive compared to some others but I think well worth it.

Spoke to customer service and they do plan to have a line of women's gi available in the near future.