Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #401
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
?????
Er.... let me add that I had heard about well before you went and studied with Dan, Greg. Fortunately, over all this time, I've refrained from making any real comments about you personally. OK? Got that?

Now see if you (or Dan) can get away from the personal stuff and try and back up what you say you "know" with some facts we can all digest. If everyone keeps going back to the personal crap (like Skaggs' comment about "the same people"), we get caught in an endless cycle of commenting about the personalities of people that we personally don't like. There's a lot of people I either don't like or don't respect on many forums, but at least I'll debate the issues (if I'm drawn to the issue) with them. If you (the general "you") can't argue the facts or support the facts with more than vague, subjective feelings, then simply say it. Don't try to trivialize someone who doesn't kiss your butt and pretends to you that your unsupported opinion is as good as gold.

Incidentally, AFAIK, I've tried to treat you more than fairly, based on the criteria above, despite everything I've heard, felt, seen, etc. I.e., if you've got a complaint with me personally, please come and complain to my face, not to my keyboard.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
 
Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #402
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Er.... let me add that I had heard about well before you went and studied with Dan, Greg. Fortunately, over all this time, I've refrained from making any real comments about you personally. OK? Got that?
Mike, the above statement is exactly what I referred to in my last post - you just imply negativity in your posts. Your less than subtle implication states that you refrained from saying something negative based on hearsay. As I mentioned before, I do not care about your opinion nor those of your sources - it is not complete knowledge and it is not current. And as I said, I do not propose to be an expert, but I do have experiences that you nor your source have and that is where I am focusing my training on now to rediscover and grow from there.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Now see if you (or Dan) can get away from the personal stuff and try and back up what you say you "know" with some facts we can all digest. If everyone keeps going back to the personal crap (like Skaggs' comment about "the same people"), we get caught in an endless cycle of commenting about the personalities of people that we personally don't like. There's a lot of people I either don't like or don't respect on many forums, but at least I'll debate the issues (if I'm drawn to the issue) with them. If you (the general "you") can't argue the facts or support the facts with more than vague, subjective feelings, then simply say it. Don't try to trivialize someone who doesn't kiss your butt and pretends to you that your unsupported opinion is as good as gold.
Again, as I see it, you are in the personal stuff here as well - you just did it with the above. Your comment about me trivializing is a good example that you do not have a clue about me - I do not trivialize anything - I can get silly and joke with the best of them, but trivialize is not in my nature - I am a Scorpio, and nothing is trivial to us

You keep asking for the facts, but when you are questioned, you dodge it. If you want other people to provide their views, you must reciprocate - maybe even provide it first.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Incidentally, AFAIK, I've tried to treat you more than fairly, based on the criteria above, despite everything I've heard, felt, seen, etc. I.e., if you've got a complaint with me personally, please come and complain to my face, not to my keyboard.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Again, you bring in the implied negativity - what do mean despite? that whole approach is negative - Mike, I did not attack your skill, but you have attacked mine based on hearsay and a brief encounter that proved nothing. All I have to say about that is that it probably comes from people that may have known me before they were even into the internal stuff, and it was extremely short lived. About five or six years ago, I hooked up with a few Aikido dojos looking to actively get back into organized training - I was looking for a place that had a focus on ki and the internal stuff - I did not find any. As a matter of fact, some of them even made fun of it and openly ridiculed it - now I understated some of them may have been enlightened and have been getting some training in IT - I imagine your hearsay source may be from this environment.

As I started to say, I did not attack your skills and I did not attack you personally, but I guess I did attack your cyberspace spirit/personality. I am sorry, but I find most of your posts to be essentially troll like in nature designed to stir the pot (especially with Dan) and really not that sincere in offering actual knowledge to share.

I would love to meet with you again in person, and I will give you the first shot - you mostly likely will knock me on my ass, but I may learn something from that; more so from your posts also, I may even surprise you as well

Greg
 
Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #403
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
You keep asking for the facts, but when you are questioned, you dodge it.
No, Greg. Look in the archives. The problem with the archives is that I've provided most of this stuff time and time again while everyone else has hidden behind "I've taken an oath to the Koryu" or "Here's my subjective thoughts". It doesn't work for you, the archives. You have to, at a minimum, admit that they are there and that you haven't bothered to read them yet you want me to spend the time writing things again so that you don't have to search, right?
Quote:

If you want other people to provide their views, you must reciprocate - maybe even provide it first.
I asked the question. But only because I knew that I'd already provided my views. At some point in time you have to understand that "attack the other person's personality" only works to a limited extent. At another point in time you simply turn people against you.
Quote:
Again, you bring in the implied negativity - what do mean despite? that whole approach is negative - Mike, I did not attack your skill, but you have attacked mine based on hearsay and a brief encounter that proved nothing.
Pooh. You misrepresented that meeting and the impression you left on people. Don't take advantage of silence. You, after all, are the one interjecting your views and 'expertise' throughout the thread
Quote:
All I have to say about that is that it probably comes from people that may have known me before they were even into the internal stuff, and it was extremely short lived. About five or six years ago, I hooked up with a few Aikido dojos looking to actively get back into organized training - I was looking for a place that had a focus on ki and the internal stuff - I did not find any. As a matter of fact, some of them even made fun of it and openly ridiculed it - now I understated some of them may have been enlightened and have been getting some training in IT - I imagine your hearsay source may be from this environment.
But the problem is always with "the other people" isn't it, Greg? You belong here on this forum with people like Skaggs and others. If you want to discuss issues, please discuss them. So far, you have only tried to trivialize everyone who is not currently in your favor.
Quote:
As I started to say, I did not attack your skills and I did not attack you personally, but I guess I did attack your cyberspace spirit/personality. I am sorry, but I find most of your posts to be essentially troll like in nature designed to stir the pot (especially with Dan) and really not that sincere in offering actual knowledge to share.
Plonk. I just tired of it, Greg. You've been kicked off of QiJin months ago and even then you were only let on out of politeness. Now you're simply another guy who took advantage of diplomacy to think that your views were worthwhile. They're not.

Mike Sigman
 
Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #404
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
Location: New York
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,302
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hello Mark
I appreciate the sentiment. Lets review:
I made comments about my own training experiences. In this case, specifically regarding the tension idea in internal and quasi-internal arts based on three different (undisclosed) arts methods and two teachers I dealt with.
None of which has anything to do wIth Mike Sigman

Mike being Mike, (he thinks all things internal draw unto him) he placed himself once again into a discussion where he had no place and does not belong (substance of his post unecessary)

My response; asking him to tell me a) Who I was discussing b) describe what it is I am doing- went unanswered, because he simply is unable to answer. I found it humorous.

The best resolution to your post is to ask Mike to never respond -to-me or -about- me. End of problem I do not engage Mike in anyway in my now limited time here-he engages me.

Lorel had it quite right; Mikes comments to me, and about me, are continuously negative and unsupported assertions and supposition that are meant to defame, so I respond.
With that, feel free to have a discussion with him about...whatever.
Take Care
Dan
Dan:

I am not interested in taking any side in this matter. Sometimes nothing said is better than something said. I was simply trying to implore both of you to avoid having to address each other in this matter. Nothing was gained by either of you addressing anything having to do with the other.

Marc Abrams
 
Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #405
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Plonk. I just tired of it, Greg. You've been kicked off of QiJin months ago and even then you were only let on out of politeness. Now you're simply another guy who took advantage of diplomacy to think that your views were worthwhile. They're not.

Mike Sigman
Thanks for the notice - I have not tried to access your QiJin forum in a long time - nice to know that I should not bother now - I guess you were just being polite since I made a donation to the site - so much for your sincere thanks in that email you sent me at the time.
 
Old 04-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #406
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,081
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

How strain is moved across a joint using the biotensegrity model of the body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOyu3...eature=related

David
 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #407
bob_stra
Location: Australia
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 641
Australia
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
How strain is moved across a joint using the biotensegrity model of the body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOyu3...eature=related

David
I warned you, David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Vw7...eature=related

(may be NSFW)

 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #408
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,703
United_States
Online
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

*sigh* a bunch of internal guys get together and a shoving match happens. surprise?

i think the word tension has a negative connotation. it tends to associate to tightness in musculature, i.e. lots of muscle contraction. since tightness creates blockage, tension is bad (from muscle point of view). i liked the word "pressure" better. pressure as in an inflated balloon or car tire. too low pressure, and structure collapses. too high pressure, and it explodes. same goes for human body. human body can adapt. you start with low and slowly increase to certain point where each person has different level depends on his/her/its genetic disposition. we Asian are normally short and stocky so we can handle a bit more pressure than youse tall, lanky Caucasians. therefore, we Asian are better at internal stuffs. logical no?

might want to give some thought on a shelve bracket where one end attached to your hara/dantien and the other to your limbs. one end moves, the other end must move, i.e. not fixed. of course it depends on the quality of the shelve bracket, right? what if you wrap the shelve bracket with a bracket shape of steel reinforced tire? interesting thoughts, no? better than the bickering, yes?
 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:52 AM   #409
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote: View Post
Now that is what I call a front man I wonder how he would define Aiki
 
Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #410
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
*sigh* a bunch of internal guys get together and a shoving match happens. surprise?

i think the word tension has a negative connotation. it tends to associate to tightness in musculature, i.e. lots of muscle contraction. since tightness creates blockage, tension is bad (from muscle point of view). i liked the word "pressure" better. pressure as in an inflated balloon or car tire. too low pressure, and structure collapses. too high pressure, and it explodes. same goes for human body. human body can adapt. you start with low and slowly increase to certain point where each person has different level depends on his/her/its genetic disposition. we Asian are normally short and stocky so we can handle a bit more pressure than youse tall, lanky Caucasians. therefore, we Asian are better at internal stuffs. logical no?
sure, why not

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
might want to give some thought on a shelve bracket where one end attached to your hara/dantien and the other to your limbs. one end moves, the other end must move, i.e. not fixed. of course it depends on the quality of the shelve bracket, right? what if you wrap the shelve bracket with a bracket shape of steel reinforced tire? interesting thoughts, no? better than the bickering, yes?
Yes
 
Old 04-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #411
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,081
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote: View Post
He gets out of breath just talking.
Is he one of Mike's or Dan's student?

David
 
Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #412
RED
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 905
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
He gets out of breath just talking.
Is he one of Mike's or Dan's student?

David
pffff, nah man... he for reals!

MM
 
Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #413
Erick Mead
 
Erick Mead's Avatar
Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
Location: West Florida
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,403
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
*sigh* a bunch of internal guys get together and a shoving match happens. surprise?
... Comes from holdin' it all in allatime -- whaddya'spect??

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
 
Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #414
thisisnotreal
 
thisisnotreal's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 692
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
... Comes from holdin' it all in allatime -- whaddya'spect??
that's hilarious
 
Old 04-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #415
thisisnotreal
 
thisisnotreal's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 692
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
... Comes from holdin' it all in allatime -- whaddya'spect??
yes; there are admonishments about it, aren't there?'

like when you are young, to guard against aggressiveness.. wanting to fight.
-there was a warning for the middle, too( right?;;; can't recall)
-and when are are old, (i think) it is to guard against acquisitiveness.

how did that ... work?
 
Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #416
thisisnotreal
 
thisisnotreal's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 692
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
.. misunderstands what the term "tensioning" refers to (in relation to what I've shown at workshops), but the point is that I certainly have nothing to do with muscular tension.
hi Mike,
So i've tried from the archives to put that together. What would you say if i said interpreted it to be is more or less (i.e. a 'generous' interpretation) the tension that is carried within the body, coincident along the axial length of bones. isn't that the 'groundpath' tension?
(M2C: that it is a critical force in that there is a tension relationship to your own structure, in this way. (i.e. for instance, where all joints are Held together by these sorts of axial 'cohesion' structures, in the body). the groundpath...in reverse, is the ground strength in your body.

Do you have an exemplar of a record to point at, as something you'd say was your definitive statement on 'what tensioning' refers to?

I mean...it has to be all tied together, right? it is interesting in....that, that tension that can get stronger and stronger with age, and could be counted as a 'skill based strength'...., no?
yeah.

Is fajin the way to 'loose the arrow' of the _tension_? held in the body? the tension, again here is the six-directions tension (i.e. hunyuan?) is given a directional-preferential expression and explodes out along a line, into a point? the 'coccyx' tilt/tip/lift(?) triggers the dantien into the mingmen. i have no idea, so here' it is is a sincere set of questions. I thought what you did was trigger a 'reverse ground path' explosion along that line, by elongating your structure for a fraction of a second, into-the-guy. a 'punch' by 'growing' and sending entire weight of your body's frame, into the guy.

I thought Dan talked about it in terms of contradictory tensions, body held in balance, 'expressing aiki', dual spirals, ever evolving.
I personally match that with, for example, chen taiji silk reeling movement. fajin in his movement (above my pay grade, i'm just yapping from what i understood from the text) is more like gears in yourself, inside your body. left-to-right and front to back any way you want, via dual spirals in opposition. no tuck-and-dantien-to-mingmen 'load and fire'.

Now, in your opinion, you say the 'one jin' is the one jin. The source of all jins. The groundpath jin.

Now...the tension being argued about here, is this the brute force *li* coarse strength? 'muscling through' / 'expression local muscular tension'. is , that you're snippy about?

naah. i believe it must be some thing more complex that i'm not getting. could you clarify for this turkey (me) ?
.

i think both of you guys are talking about spiralling strength-body-method, with no coarse li strength.

i may have somet ypos. so please forgie them. the subject is hard, and my fingers fail me.
i have prune fingers at the moment. that may be a factor.
 
Old 04-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #417
Mike Sigman
Location: Durango, CO
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,123
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
So i've tried from the archives to put that together. What would you say if i said interpreted it.....
Josh, it's not just some old Neijia List comment about "It Has To Be Seen" (IHTBS) or "It Has To Be Felt" (IHTBF) ..... there are a number of Asian sayings that have the same implication. E.g., you can only learn through the oral tradition; writing won't do it... and so on. This also works, BTW, for people who are trying to add things into their system that they have 'heard about' or 'read'.

In other words, some of these discussions and outright guesses by people on this forum who have never even bothered to go to a workshop or exposition.... well, let's just say that I roll my eyes.

Basic jin isn't that hard to do if someone really applies themself. Yet, the number of people who 'got' jin skills from the various video sets that I put out was minimal; hence I quit selling the videos, as close as they were (closer than written description) to 'oral transmission'. Even *with* hands-on explanations, the percentage that 'get it' can be pretty small because this way of moving (if you're going to do it right/fully) is just more than they ever really accept or understand. So they never make it.

When it comes to the fascia-related discussions, I've made a couple of posts that define the issue, in years past. This sort of discussion is simply too far outside of what people can do martially, without having accomplished the basics. On a starter/health level, I made a couple of very explicit posts on AikiWeb.... but those are just for someone to get their foot in the door for elementary development.

My problem with the current discussion is that I see everyone (including some of the self-styled experts) floundering around making guesses, or making statements that show that they're far off track. If you get off-track it's very difficult to come back to the main track. Why keep trying to get information that you can't use? Why have you not, after all these years, gone out to see what's going on?

I'm pretty interested in peoples' skills and, if they teach, their approach to teaching. I took the time when Ushiro Sensei was in my state to drive over and watch for a while (at the Rocky Mountain Summer Camp) in order to see how much he was teaching, how well he was teaching, if he had some new/interesting method of explication, and so on. The point being that I didn't waste a lot of time questioning people on AikiWeb about what Ushiro was teaching.... I took the trouble to go see. I've taken the trouble to go see many people, over the years, and I'll be going to see another person next month. Instead of "putting together" and "interpretting", why don't you just go see for yourself.

Oh, and please do me a favor. If/when you do get a little knowledge, please go somewhere and practice so that you have demonstrable skills before you start preaching and putting out how-to's. I'm already afraid that the incidence of instant experts is going to do as much damage to I.S. topics in Aikido and when there was almost no knowledge among the western "teachers".

I've stood bemused in front of guys who obviously had zero (or miniscule) I.S. skills giving me advice about who was good, how to teach students, how good their teacher was with these skills, or how they "already teach this stuff". If they knew anything they could at least demonstrate a simple ground path (it's very easy to feel the difference between jin and 'structure') or I could at least feel things in their body as they moved. Do what Dale Carnegie advised about not giving speeches until a person "has the right to talk about the subject". It takes a while.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
 
Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #418
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,081
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

In the human body the connective tissues like muscles, tendons, ligaments etc and the fluids like blood plasma interstitial fluid and cellular fluid do not act like you would assume using Newtonian mechanics, linear reactions to tension and compression.

In fact the components of the body act nonlinear, Non-Newtonian.

The fluids of the body are Non-Newtonian fluids, they act like a solid when under stress and like a fluid when not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5SGiwS5L6I

David

Last edited by dps : 04-25-2010 at 12:33 PM.
 
Old 04-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #419
Budd
 
Budd's Avatar
Dojo: Taikyoku Aikido
Location: Williamsville, NY
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 928
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
In the human body the connective tissues like muscles, tendons, ligaments etc and the fluids like blood plasma interstitial fluid and cellular fluid do not act like you would think using Newtonian mechanics, linear reactions to tension and compression.

In fact the components of the body act nonlinear, Non-Newtonian.

The fluids of the body are Non-Newtonian fluids, they act like a solid when under stress and like a fluid when not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5SGiwS5L6I

David
Furthermore, a bold new study shows that . . the thigh bone is connected to the hip bone . .

v=9swztI5m0k0http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9swztI5m0k0
 
Old 04-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #420
dps
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,081
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
Furthermore, a bold new study shows that . . the thigh bone is connected to the hip bone . .

v=9swztI5m0k0http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9swztI5m0k0
They are singing about dry bones. If your bones are dry they will act Newtonian ,you are dead and you can hear the word of the lord personally (IHTBF).

David
 
Old 04-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #421
thisisnotreal
 
thisisnotreal's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 692
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

um, ya. thanks for the specific links of reference posts and for discussing the jin/body topic, and nothing but...but specific details. deftly handled, as always
always informative arguing, i mean, talking, with you, you magnificent...
this <
 
Old 04-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #422
thisisnotreal
 
thisisnotreal's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 692
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
um, ya. thanks for the specific links of reference posts and for discussing the jin/body topic, and nothing but...but specific details. deftly handled, as always
always informative arguing, i mean, talking, with you, you magnificent...
this <
(i really loved that skit...recently, was reminded of it by debates here)
 
Old 04-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #423
Tim Fong
 
Tim Fong's Avatar
Dojo: Aunkai
Location: California
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 175
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Dan,
Thanks for the advice. You've posted a lot of information here and I'll have to practice and mull things over more.
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post

Also (and more important to me) tucking when fighting and moving at speed is "all in" -something to avoid like the plague. Bringing power up/down. in/out should always be supported by other things (I would rather not go into here). If not, and you function with the hips and sacrum "all-in" you will be strong till you are gotten around or hit a stronger guy. Power releasing is not all the same. Doing certain things will get you caught by any grappler with the slightest sensitivity.
Right, I definitely am not spending a lot of time on back-bow driven ''power releases.'' In fact I spoke with a CIMA teacher who said explicitly that people who focus too much on power releases "look good for demo" but won't be able to apply it freestyle because of being "too stiff."

Quote:
It is better to think of the sacrum as relaxed and stable and fluid, in-and-out itself, and then where and how it functions with musculature going round to the proverbial "center" and how that functions when the lower back draws on the psoas, which draws on the....? None of which requires a tuck.
Hmm. Going to have to train and reflect on that one for sure.

Quote:
And power down the front does NOT require tucking the tailbone to support the back line in my book. For that matter I don't even consider up and down without intent in other directions that are not requiring physical tensioning of the body. That ties in nicely with the differences in power releases.
Are you talking about a forward tilt to the pelvis? The opposite of tucking it in?

Quote:
The result in feel is more fluid in supporting the back and loading and releasing in different ways where you never wind up as a one legged army bowed back guy or stuck on two feet and double weighted, or stuck on certain store and release ideas -which are great to demo but most good grapplers could feel it happening at its inception and either cancel it out or change positions. It's the same with joint locks and throw attempts. Some internal guys are just too obvious to ever be good fighters with it. They have power, sure, but......
There are ways to train to move that are much more subtle and hard to feel...till the opponent finds themselves done in.
Cheers
Dan
This different approach to power releases that you're explaining is interesting to me; however, totally understand that you don't want to explain more on the details here in a public forum.

For me, one thing that has been difficult lately is to figure out how to integrate bodyskill training, cardio, weights and fight training (MMA and kickboxing) into a cohesive training plan. I've been trying periodization, some months focusing on fight training/cardio and others on bodyskill training during rest months. Haven't lifted weights in a couple of years, and considering going back to o-lifts (the IHS program I ordered off their website) or joining some kind of crossfit based program.

Any thoughts on this? Totally understand if you don't want to discuss it in a public forum.

Thanks,
Tim
 
Old 04-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #424
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
(i really loved that skit...recently, was reminded of it by debates here)
Got to love SNL - they can bring to the surface that which we all yearn to say and display it in a manner that truly shows why it really should stay suppressed - unfortunately, there are things that can tip the scale of good manners and bring out the worst - the important point is to realize that and to move on with a focus in establishing a bi-directional atmosphere of mutual respect and exchange of ideas regardless of preconceived positions and assumptions of what is being discussed - due to the unique nature of things, everyone has a right to express what they feel is what they have experienced and no one can truly question that because they could not have had the same experience since they are not you - do not look down and disrespect that experience, just share what you can for what it is worth to whomever

Greg
 
Old 04-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #425
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Tim Fong wrote: View Post
Dan,
Thanks for the advice. You've posted a lot of information here and I'll have to practice and mull things over more.

Right, I definitely am not spending a lot of time on back-bow driven ''power releases.'' In fact I spoke with a CIMA teacher who said explicitly that people who focus too much on power releases "look good for demo" but won't be able to apply it freestyle because of being "too stiff."

Hmm. Going to have to train and reflect on that one for sure.

Are you talking about a forward tilt to the pelvis? The opposite of tucking it in?

This different approach to power releases that you're explaining is interesting to me; however, totally understand that you don't want to explain more on the details here in a public forum.

For me, one thing that has been difficult lately is to figure out how to integrate bodyskill training, cardio, weights and fight training (MMA and kickboxing) into a cohesive training plan. I've been trying periodization, some months focusing on fight training/cardio and others on bodyskill training during rest months. Haven't lifted weights in a couple of years, and considering going back to o-lifts (the IHS program I ordered off their website) or joining some kind of crossfit based program.

Any thoughts on this? Totally understand if you don't want to discuss it in a public forum.

Thanks,
Tim
Hi Tim
Computer crashed...typing on my phone.
I"ve all but given up talking in anything but general terms here anymore. There is one too many amatuers pretending to be more advanced than they really are. IP people are just as open to martially inane movement and theory as any external artists. Some people see power they haven't before and their brains go on tilt and swallow everything without appropriate discernment.

There are some interesting thoughts on power releases, and the guys who do certain things to wow seminar attendies aren't worth crossing the street for...IMO. Some poeple sure eat it up though.
I'll have to wait to get up and running to write more.
Hey...you can always "breath in and relax" ...more great "archived" advice I"ve read here...and see how that works for ya!
Talk to you soon.
Dan
 

Please visit our sponsor:

Round Earth Pubs - Book: "Aikido Exercises for Teaching and Training"



Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate