Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #26
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Why do you train in aikido

The answer to this ,for me, is so deep and complex that I can't really put it into words. I've tried nothing ever really seems adequate to describe what it is that draws me back to the dojo three times a week. I just know that now that Aikido is in my life I can't imagine life without it. Every aspect of life is somehow tied to it. I could list the many things aikido has done for me but none of them is why I train. I guess I train because I need to.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #27
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

It's an addiction.

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #28
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

George, good luck finding universally defined or scientifically derived morals or ethics. All sources of morality or ethics known to me are purely arbitrary. What is less arbitrary is the universal applicability of irony. Case in point: almost all morality in this country is at least peripherally derived from Catholicism. In light of this, we should probably look for any irony present regarding why we do Aikido. I am guessing some irony is lurking around the fact that Osensei taught Aikido in part to lend support to the grandiose imperial aspirations of his cult leader.
My apologies to the OP for partially derailing this thread. I will not comment further.

Last edited by bkedelen : 04-16-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #29
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

I train because I love it! I realize now after only having trained for just 2 1/2 months, that I need to learn how to focus. The training helps with that. I feel calmer too. Doing something that was so foreign to me has really opened my eyes and get to know myself. Best decision I ever made.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #30
Ari Gower
Dojo: Aikido of New Castle, New Castle, PA
United_States

It makes me happy.

Doing a technique correctly is like playing a difficult passage of music correctly- same awesome feeling.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #31
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States

That's a great question....

Much like meditation, I'm not the same person I was when I started out. The reason had grown to a deeper level.

If anyone else was in the same boat as I, I had seen Seagal performing aikido on the Merv Griffin show and it stuck with me. Later I saw his movies and wanted to do those things. A class was available at my college, and I enjoyed it very much. Of course I left the course behind me, as well as my desires to be an aikido master.

Jump to twenty years later. After all my experiences in life, I realized that the reason I have been training again is because the movements are familiar to me. I have had jobs and activities where I've made the same motions, just in a different way. I suppose I would say it teaches me about moving in life. The physicality of it is just a tangible example.

"Flow like water."
Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #32
bobtoabe
Dojo: MIT Aikido / Cambridge, MA
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
The answer to this ,for me, is so deep and complex that I can't really put it into words. I've tried nothing ever really seems adequate to describe what it is that draws me back to the dojo three times a week. I just know that now that Aikido is in my life I can't imagine life without it. Every aspect of life is somehow tied to it. I could list the many things aikido has done for me but none of them is why I train. I guess I train because I need to.
i like this answer to my thread.
thank you cherie

Bob Toabe
MIT Aikido
Cambridge, MA
Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #33
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

My pleasure Bob... you know I still can't come up with a different answer than that.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #34
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I teach, workout and go to seminars beacuse aikido is a passion. I like the people I meet and it's fun to compare notes. Keeps you in shape and many other benefits.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #35
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

Quote:
I teach, workout and go to seminars beacuse aikido is a passion. I like the people I meet and it's fun to compare notes. Keeps you in shape and many other benefits.
Hey Phil,

I am going to be in Tampa in October, where is your dojo located and when are you giving instruction?
I am looking forward to training with a direct student of Professor Tomiki!
I have trained with Nariyama Shihan and members of Shodokan's Shihan Division, if you need a letter of introduction...they will gladly supply the same.

Train well,
Train hard,
Train honestly,

Mickey
Old 08-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #36
Phil Van Treese
United_States

Mike,
We are located on 1005 BUSCH BLVD and the strip mall we're in is called Chamberlain Square. If you get lost, ask anyone where "Chamberlain High School" is. From Chamberlain High School, Chamberlain Square can be easily seen and it's on the same side of the street. My work number is 813-933-2811, extention 1372 if you wanted to call me. Of course, you are more than welcome to come in and workout with no mat fee. I teach Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7pm - 8:30pm, and sometimes we go to 9pm. FYI---Chamberlain H.S. is on the corner of Busch Blvd and North Blvd. September 4th - 18th I will be at St. Lucia in the British Virgin Islands giving a seminar but will be back in time to see you in October. Any questions, you can always give me a call. See you soon.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #37
Phil Van Treese
United_States
Talking Re: Why do you train in aikido

Oh, and as far as giving me a letter of introduction--not needed. Just bring your Gi and we'll put you to work. We might do chokes too.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.