Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > External Aikido Blog Posts

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
Thomas Osborn
Dojo: Aikido of Northampton
United_States
4 Treatments For Ptsd

3/17/10 w [1s, 7v] I Standard class. Progressive technique from mirror stance [ai homni]. The most interesting thing was the active participation by a young vet who, up to now, has just sat quietly in a corner. One of the nurses said he is very uncomfortable in group situations. I think she really encouraged him to join in. He started out a little tentative, but after some one-on-one, he joined right in. The other guys showed surprising sensativety and were very supportive of him. I am frequently, and pleasantly surprised at how they take care of each other.
I will feel another level of success if we can keep this young vet actively involved.

NOTE; I came across an interesting report from the Anxiety Disorders Association of America on the four standard approaches to treating PTSD.

NAME Behavior Therapy
GOAL Modify and gain control over unwanted behavior
HOW IT WORKS Learning to cope with difficult situations, often through controlled exposure to them
BENEFITS Person actively involved in recovery skills that are useful for a lifetime
DRAWBACKS Can take time to achieve results

NAME Relaxation Techniques
GOAL Help resolve stresses that can contribute to anxiety
HOW IT WORKS Breathing re-training, exercise and other skills
BENEFITS Person actively involved in recovery skills that are useful for a lifetime

NAME Cognitive Therapy
GOAL Change unproductive thought patterns
HOW IT WORKS Examine feelings and learn to separate realistic from unrealistic thoughts

NAME Medication
GOAL Resolve symptoms
HOW IT WORKS Help restore chemical imbalances that lead to symptoms
BENEFITS Help restore chemical imbalances that lead to symptoms
DRAWBACKS Most medications have side effects

Treatment is successful in as many as 90 percent of anxiety disorder patients. Most people respond best to a combination of the four options summarized in this table. If you notice, with the exception of medication, Aikido satisfies these treatment modules when properly taught. Most especially behavior therapy and relaxation techniques.

It is beginning to seem like my feeling that Aikido may truly be therapeutic when included as an integral part of an individual's over all treatment plan is valid, and worth pursuing.

(Original blog post may be found here.)
Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: 4 Treatments For Ptsd

Thomas, if I may offer a personal perspective...

...the difficulty in dealing with PTSD is that any lasting solutions take time to show results and are never 100%, while someone with PTSD is out of dealotrons and just wants it fixed now. Having PTSD is maybe a little like living in a panic attack: you're in a state of mind where it's very hard to do some of the things that you need to do to improve things. I admire you for your patience and determination -- more than anything else, people with PTSD need to know that someone gives a damn, recognizes their problem as real and wants to help.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: 4 Treatments For Ptsd

IMHO, yes Aikido can be therapeutic but it is not therapy.

Yes PTSD can be worked with indirectly impacting the process. Perhaps it is also important to face, deal, and resolve the content directly.

Many of us who had PTSD have gotten over it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com