Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #26
TimB99
Re: The best exercises and tips you've ever done/gotten

Ohh, thank you all very much already, that was awsome!

Been going at it with a sword every now and then.. Guess I'm still not really able to let go and relax even in those exercises. Besides that, if they do work, I'm still having difficulty in translating them to emptyhand and live training techniques. I've got some major work to do

Yeah, I figured those tai sabaki and aikitaiso exercises would come up. Have been thinking about those for a while now. They look and feel extremely valuable. The thing is that I never know whether I'm doing them the right way.. Even in "live" lessons, sure, I go through the motions and I try to see the bigger picture, try to feel what I'm supposed to feel, but I really don't know whether I'm doing things the right way.

That said, Phi Truong, your post sounded like it might point me further in the right direction at this point of my practices (that's not to say the rest of you weren't valuable as well ). I'm wondering as to exactly what constitutes those "internal experts". Are we talking tai chi here, or yoga?

One final thing (for now, anyways ): "Aunkai solo drills". Never heard of them (even though they sound mighty cool ). Care to point me in the right direction, Jaemin?

So, hope to hearing some more enlightening things from you guys

See ya!

-TB
Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 AM   #27
dps

The unsoku and tegatana dosa of Shodokan Aikido are good solo exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DF_Y6YbvnA

David
Old 03-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #28
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
"I've got my plans and my agenda and by God, that's the order and the schedule on which I'm going to develop as a human being, dammit!" Does that ever work? It strikes me as like standing over a plant and screaming, "Grow, dammit!!!"

Progress is measured in many different ways, and some of the most important progress can't be measured at all at the time when it's happening. Lessons are learned when we're ready for them. If progress is what is wanted, perhaps the best "exercise" is the exercise of letting go.
'Letting go' has appeared ubiquitously throughout this week for me. This must be a sign.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #29
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Tim Bergman wrote: View Post
That said, Phi Truong, your post sounded like it might point me further in the right direction at this point of my practices (that's not to say the rest of you weren't valuable as well ). I'm wondering as to exactly what constitutes those "internal experts". Are we talking tai chi here, or yoga?

-TB
there is a thread or two or three on aikiweb discussing about the internal folks. try search.

the three amigo (MAD or DAM):
Mike Sigman
Akuzawa Minoru
Dan Hardin

they don't associate with anyone so they are pretty open about what they teach. there are others, but you have to sign-on to their stuffs, learn the secret handshakes (mostly high-five, low-five and side-five), and promise not to reveal what you learn (actually, we don't want you to reveal yourself as you might not look that good and we might lose our lunch).

once you learn the stuffs, don't talk about it to aikido folks, because it's blaspheme to discuss aiki in aikido.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 AM   #30
TimB99

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
there is a thread or two or three on aikiweb discussing about the internal folks. try search.

the three amigo (MAD or DAM):
Mike Sigman
Akuzawa Minoru
Dan Hardin

they don't associate with anyone so they are pretty open about what they teach. there are others, but you have to sign-on to their stuffs, learn the secret handshakes (mostly high-five, low-five and side-five), and promise not to reveal what you learn (actually, we don't want you to reveal yourself as you might not look that good and we might lose our lunch).

once you learn the stuffs, don't talk about it to aikido folks, because it's blaspheme to discuss aiki in aikido.
I'M MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER

So I looked up those folks through search, and every post I saw got me more and more confused. I've got no idea what they're talking about. I feel like I've just dived into a well of stuff I've never even heard about. Sure, I've found countless of threads with them contributing, but it's all hocuspocus to me.

So where am I even supposed to start?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #31
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:

So I looked up those folks through search, and every post I saw got me more and more confused. I've got no idea what they're talking about. I feel like I've just dived into a well of stuff I've never even heard about. Sure, I've found countless of threads with them contributing, but it's all hocuspocus to me.
lol, hocuspocus. YES! That's what we'll call it!
Mike, Dan, and Akuzawa are pretty advanced hocuspocus guys so following their discussions can be difficult at best. I have determined that one won't learn hocuspocus without touch time. Keep reading their post's though as I think you will find some really good information. If nothing else, at least a realization that hocuspocus is a real skill that can be learned.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #32
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Maybe with Lynn Seiser's advice. Or, perhaps, ask yourself why you're looking for "tips". Do you really feel that you've mined everything out of your practice -- out of what you can learn by simply training?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #33
asiawide

Quote:
One final thing (for now, anyways ): "Aunkai solo drills". Never heard of them (even though they sound mighty cool ). Care to point me in the right direction, Jaemin?

So, hope to hearing some more enlightening things from you guys

See ya!

-TB
You can read info about aunkai at http://www.aunkai.net. There are some aunkai guys in north america and Akuzawa sensei sometimes visit there too. Maybe you can just do aikido solo drills but I bet there are only a very very very very.... few teachers who seriously do those drills. And I bet most of the very very very very few teachers keep those secrect. If you are seriously into aikido, I recommend you to visit Aunkai in Tokyo, Japan. Probably it'll cost a lot. But it worth and will save you lots of time. You may charge me if you aren't satisfied.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #34
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Thumbs up Re: The best exercises and tips you've ever done/gotten

Quote:

You could do a search for their videos on YouTube to get more of a visual sense of what they're talking about (though it's something that really needs to be felt and experienced more than anything, this is a good start).

Really, the best thing you can do is get together with other students and start experimenting on your own.

Actually, my own instructor - who has a very clear and articulate way of explaining things - has had us practicing along similar lines in our adapted Aikido classes and has blogged about the exercises here on this site. Just offhand, some relevant posts would be:

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/grab-my...ing-root-3423/

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/grab-my...sometime-3185/

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/grab-my...thoughts-3876/

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/grab-my...-newbies-3228/

http://www.aikiweb.com/blogs/grab-my...-balance-3207/

Cheers,
J

Last edited by jducusin : 03-17-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Corrected the URLs of non-functional links and added an additional link

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #35
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Maybe with Lynn Seiser's advice. Or, perhaps, ask yourself why you're looking for "tips". Do you really feel that you've mined everything out of your practice -- out of what you can learn by simply training?
Very good point - I just revisited the original poster's first message and was reminded of how long he's been training so far...if things are going stale in practice, it would be a good idea to ask why and if there is something more that uke or nage can do within technique to up the ante. "20-year martial art" and all...

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #36
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:

confused is a good thing. the stuffs that those folks talked about tend to go over the head of most folks. you will hear this phrase often: it has to be felt (IHTBF), i.e. hand-on transmission approach.
look under the non-aikido tradition forum for some of the workshops. i know that Dan don't usually do workshop so try PM him to see. btw, what they teach isn't magic bullet. it still takes personal commitment in training, lots of training. did i mention lots of personal solo training?

also, if you have a chance to play with those crazy systema buggers, please do so. you might learn interesting stuffs. if they ask to kick you down the stair backward, say "NO" or "HELL NO".
Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #37
Steven Lasher
Dojo: Aikido of CNY
United_States

Tim

Try reading the book "Mastery" by George Leonard. It discusses the frustration of hitting training plateaus and the importance of getting used to them. The longer that we train the smaller the gains seem to be so our progress does seem to be harder to come by. The good news is that you are aware of it getting harder and that's real progress!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #38
edgarhaliman
Dojo: Indonesia Aikido Federation
Indonesia

Hmm.. I think,the very best practice i've ever done is suburi and kata.. And the very best tip i've ever got is "like the moon reflected in water"
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #39
tlk52
Dojo: Aikido of Park Slope/NY Aikikai
United_States

I've been doing rowing exercise/funekogi undo (medium fast and fast) for 10-15 minutes at a time... and also practicing standing on one foot (post standing) that I learned in a brief time practicing xing yi.

with both exercises, it's very interesting observing my own body going through changes. feeling where there is tension and letting it dissipate over time etc...

I think it's made a difference in technique but I'm not sure how to articulate it.

Last edited by tlk52 : 04-02-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #40
thisisnotreal

Quote:
Toby Kasavan wrote: View Post
I've been doing rowing exercise (medium fast and fast) for 10-15 minutes at a time... and also practicing standing on one foot (post standing) that I learned in a brief time practicing xing yi.

with both exercises, it's very interesting observing my own body going through changes. feeling where there is tension and letting it dissipate over time etc...

I think it's made a difference in technique but I'm not sure how to articulate it.
hi, I think you did well! I know what you mean. I always find it interesting people describing the body changes. It seems never ending..
Frankly, for me, the best tip I got was basically (maybe this is really sad too! i don't know!) from DH writing/saying about how aiki is in the body; and predominantly about the 'connected' body, at that. -do i need to disclaimer every time/?- just my ideas coming up:If -I- personally could give a tip that I think I learned myself...that is good: is about on how to increase joint stability is a good problem to search on. think about that problem - how to remove joint laxity-.[!]. and consider...about -that- tension being able to be grown without bounds in the body. as you age. getting more taut..and springy. skill based strength.
Josh
Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #41
thisisnotreal

Quote:
Edgar Haliman wrote: View Post
Hmm.. I think,the very best practice i've ever done is suburi and kata.. And the very best tip i've ever got is "like the moon reflected in water"
and the very best tip i could give you on that bit at the end...is to talk about it, imagining of Yamabiko ('Way of the Mountain Echo') as the mirror -image/echo/reflection- of the dantien/tanden/hara effect on -you- *IN* your body. As the dantien area flexes, as you -get behind a push. It is in that way -reflected in the water-.
random thoughts & humbly yours,
Josh
Old 04-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #42
thisisnotreal

Asking:: The best exercises and tips you've ever done/gotten

I would ask it slightly differently... I would ask about that the best exercise and tips to build the body. More specifically: what exercises help to change your body, and what kind of changes you'd be best looking for.
And, if it matters... yp .. i'm actually asking. and would love to hear what people would talk about with respect to that stuffs
good luck

Last edited by thisisnotreal : 04-04-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #43
thisisnotreal

or maybe another way to put it:: "What do you wish you had known?".
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #44
thisisnotreal

do i get the record for the longest uninterrupted stream of posts?

come on'now
Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #45
thisisnotreal

Here's something I wish I knew earlier:
if you have any body, joint or other soft-tissue injury and it's got you stuck,sad or otherwise messed up, and are looking to do something;: would recommend to check into a book that I think feeds into the connected body thing.I think it's useful as a bodywork method to help build, stretch or crack yourself into a better position/alignment. It's called The Permanent Pain Cure. good luck.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #46
bulevardi
Dojo: Tobu Chiku Aikikai
Belgium

The best exercise is when everyone goes shikko over the tatami, everyone attacks by randomly randori to someone (all the way suwariwaza), and the technique will be kokyu-ho.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #47
Robert Calton
United_States

+1 for Aiki Taiso and stretches.

The best advice I've heard so far is simply "relax."
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #48
aikistl

There were times in the kyu ranks and even now that the following is most certainly true...."The more you learn, the less you know." This always puzzled me. I thought, I am getting better.....therefore these 4 corner throws, breakfalls, and wrist techniques ought to come quick as a whip.......

However, an instructor once told me the following "The better you get at technique, the better you want to get at technique." So just remember slow and steady wins the race.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!