Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada
Thoughts from a beginner

Hello everyone!
I am new to Aikido and have no previous martial arts experience. I am so out of my comfort zone and that's a good thing. I am fascinated with the Art. Right now as a beginner I have never felt more awkward in all my life!! My mind draws a blank when all eyes are on me like the other night when we all took turns in front of the class practicing throws Whew!! I look forward to progressing and mastering my 'self ', if that makes sense.

Oyasumi nasai.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Thoughts from a beginner

Dear Rayleen - welcome to aikido and to aikiweb. It's been 14 yrs since I started my aikido journey, like you with no m.a. background, but I still remember so well what it was like to have everything so alien - the muscles of my body trying to figure out what I was asking them to do! - yet it never for a moment occurred to me to quit. I spent a good couple of years feeling (as I put it then) "like a happy idiot!"

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
akiy

Hi Rayleen,

Welcome to AikiWeb and to aikido.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

Thank you Janet and Jun. Janet, you said it " like a happy idiot", that's how I feel.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
ilia rudnitskiy

Dojo: Saskatoon Aikikai
Canada

合気道にようこそ!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Welcome, Rayleen! Looking forward to hearing of your adventures.

Linda
At it since last May, and still plenty of happiness and idiocy going on.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My AikiBlog

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 02-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

Thank you Linda. I am looking forward to posting my progress and maybe honing my writing skills to boot. I'm so glad I came across this site It's also encouraging to hear from others who have started this later in life. It's never too late to learn.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Anita Dacanay
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai, Cleveland, Ohio
United_States

"Happy idiot" - that is so perfect!

Hi Rayleen! I'm a forty-something Mom who has been practicing Aikido for just over a year. I started taking classes with my son, and then faced a dilemma when he decided to quit. Should I quit too?

I decided that I didn't want to quit. I remembered that when I was little, my Mom had bridge club and her bowling league - why couldn't I have Aikido? At this point I'm pretty hooked - definitely a happy idiot on the mat.

Interestingly, I think that practicing Aikido has helped me to be a better Mom. Just this weekend Sensei remarked that looking after kids is like randoori - I tend to agree!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

That's wonderful Anita!
I think Aikido makes us better, period.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #10
Anita Dacanay
Dojo: Cleveland Aikikai, Cleveland, Ohio
United_States

Indeed. As far as self-improvement is concerned, I have never done anything in my life that has been more beneficial. I think this is because it works on every level of my being simultaneously. Also because Aikido forces me to confront the things that are hard for me.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #11
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

I know what you mean Anita
Old 03-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Victoria Family Aikido
Canada

Hi Rayleen,

I just replied to your other thread (books for beginners) and then afterward I noticed that you are with Masa Kokoro Dojo in Calgary.

So cool! You are lucky to be with such an awesome teacher and great people. I was lucky enough to be asked by Ben Lim Sensei to come to classes and be uke for him when he first started the dojo and I feel a special bond to your club.

I live in Victoria now, but I'll see you at the Calgary Aikikai 30th Anniversary Seminar this summer. Not to be missed!

Conrad
Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

Hi Conrad,

That's so cool. I feel very lucky to have Ben Lim as my teacher, he's very encouraging and patient. I got started late into this session and then had to miss some more time when I got sick. I've only been doing it about a month. Right now I am dropping in pretty regularly, I plan to register for the next session.

I look forward to the 30th Anniversary seminar, it's going to be big! See you there
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Welcome! I hope your aikido journey is a pleasant one. I started a year ago and it was my second time being a beginner in a martial art. My journey thus far has been a mix of frustration, pure joy and a bit of humility has been thrown in as well. Keep at it and rest assured that you are not alone in the way that you feel!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
My journey thus far has been a mix of frustration, pure joy and a bit of humility has been thrown in as well.
The same for me, i think: towards the end of last year, i was feeling quite frustrated - feeling like i wasn't getting it (because i wasn't, actually) - and after thinking things were a certain way, i realised that they weren't, so i was forced to re-evaluate, and in the past few months, with a new attitude - being full of humility - i have made pretty big strides, and things are coming together (i think).
The positive feelings completely outweigh the negative ones (which i am having less and less of).
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

Hi Gorgeous George and ninjaqutie,
Good to hear from you. I know what you mean feeling the frustration, joy, and humility. It's great isn't it? I mean that in all seriousness, there's no room for ego in the practice of Aikido. It's part of our growth, I welcome it. Now I could be way off base, that's my opinion.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Humility is something that is continually tested and learned in my opinion. After 8 years of training in my former style, I went from being a big fish in a little pond in my old dojo to a little fish in a vast ocean in aikido. It always strikes me funny when I realize just how little humility I have. Funny how things happen when you immerse yourself in something new and give 100% or more. I have a feeling I wouldn't be getting as much out of class if I went in there without an "empty cup". I still drag some of my old styles habits into the class, but I am getting better. Eight years of practice puts a lot of things into muscle memory. I have had to learn to change my ukemi a lot and I am still working on making my breakfalls more aiki like and less jujitsu/judo like. Practice, practice, practice.... oh yeah... and patience (which I lack!)

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #18
Rayleen Dehmke
Canada

Patience? What's that?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!